Ethiopian Opals Grading And Patterns by opalauctions.com

For those of you who've been involved with opals and gemstones for many years, here you can chat with your peers.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Ethiopian Opals Grading And Patterns by opalauctions.com

Post by PinkDiamond »

Since Wayne gave us permission to post his articles, here's their take on grading and patterns, plus a video showing the hydrophane nature of Ethiopian opals. There are plenty of sublinks, plus a free download of a pattern poster, and a $10 off coupon you can get via the link at bottom. :)

Ethiopian Opals Grading And Patterns

Ethiopian opal is one of he most diverse and spectacular types of opals on the market today. Since this type of opal is new, there is no industry accepted way to grade this type of opal like there s with the black opal. Black opal is grading in terms of blackness, the brightness of the color and the pattern.

Similarly, Ethiopian opal is also graded on pattern and brightness, but the body tone of the stone does not play a huge role in determining the final value.

There are many unique patterns to Ethiopian Opals and on Opal Auctions the descriptions have to be accurate. One of the most popular patterns in Ethiopian opals is a naturally formed potch line with web inclusions known as honey comb pattern. This pattern is very rare in any other type of opals. These honey comb shapes are also known on occasions to have brighter or different colour than the surrounding opal, this is also a rare occurrence in nature.

Color And Brightness In Ethiopian Welo Opal

This refers to the fire within the opal. The translucent internal fire of these Ethiopian opals have properties that make the fire look 3D. This 3 dimensional colour aspect is rare in most opals. It looks like fire has been captured within the opal.

Many Australian black opals have hidden colour spectrum patterns deep within the opal so a blue opal can have hidden translucent colour bars with violet or purple hues that cannot be directly seen by the naked eye. Ethiopian opals have vivid translucent colour bars and patterns that are strikingly bright and are visible with the naked eye.

Ethiopian Opals are valued based on their bright flashes of fire colour. The brighter and more intense the color, the higher the price of the opal. Stones with red flashes are rarer than the other colors while the green and blue flashes are more common.

Treated Ethiopian Black Opal

I was at the recent Bangkok gem show where I saw large amounts of Ethiopian black opal being sold with gem reports saying its natural. New findings have shown that most, if not all, of the “black” Ethiopian opal now seen in the market is not what it appears to be! It is either treated by innovative new “smoking” techniques to obtain it’s black-opal appearance. As this opal is hydrophane it seems to respond to smoking well. Smoking techniques are not new where opal is concerned, but what is now being used on the Ethiopian opal introduces a new twist to the old smoking method, which is why the treatment was missed by respected gem-testing laboratories.

The old technique was used on low quality opal, such as Mexican hydrophane material, to darken the colour of the base material, which causes — by contrast — a more fiery play of colour. It was done simply by wrapping the opal tightly in brown paper, placing it in a covered container, heating over medium heat until the paper is completely charred, then cooling and washing it. The result was a much prettier opal!

The other treatment that is common with Ethiopian Opal is altering the body color of the stone with dye. Some stones can be find to have a bright pnk or purple body color which has been artificially placed into the stone.

These are the only known treatment so far for Ethiopian opal and it greatly reduces the price of the stone. On Opal Auctions any treatments must be clearly stated. If you have any doubts remember to use our opal Sheriff service to get a second opinion.

The only other thing to be aware of is the fake Ethiopian opal that is on the market today. Read our article on detecting fake opals to help arm yourself with the knowledge needed to correctly identify fake Ethiopian opals.

Pattern In Ethiopian Opal

Ethiopian Opal has a wide range of beautiful patterns and shapes from oval to free-form. Black Opals from Australia are well documented with unique patterns from Mackerel to Harlequin. Similar names have been adopted to describe Ethiopian Opals. The most highly sought after and expensive pattern is the honey comb pattern.

Broad Pattern Crystal

Patchwork Rolling Flash

Hexagon Honeycomb or Fish Scale

Pin Fire Crystal

Neon Flash Pattern

Welo Broad Flash

Rainbow Pattern

Broad Patchwork

Multi Chaff Fireworks

Broad Flash Fire

Floral Eyes Pattern

Fire Cloud

Welo Patchwork Harlequin Pattern

Harlequin is regarded as the rarest pattern in the opal industry with Ethiopia having its own unique pattern-honeycomb Pattern. Honey comb pattern is the most sort after pattern on cabochon Ethiopian opal. Many opal miners will never find one of these patterns in their lifetime of work.

True harlequin pattern is a mosaic broad pattern, angular close set of colours. Floral patterns are sometimes called floral harlequin but Welo Floral or Welo patchwork would be the correct naming for these gem Ethiopian floral pattern opals.

https://www.opalauctions.com/learn/tech ... %20READING
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: Ethiopian Opals Grading And Patterns by opalauctions.com

Post by SwordfishMining »

12 distinct variations to be named. Nice. Really Really wish it was a moving picture of the whole stone face each time. Cool and thanks a million for any kind of standardization of terms. Now the much bigger question is Why are their 3 charts, no Youtube guides yet, the only ones found on image search? There has never been Mexican or Brazilian Opal pattern lists published and you know they have their own look and variations. I'll be glad when somebody starts cutting tonnage from here and the various patterns are quantified to rarity. This is a job for the miners, not just the retailers.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

Someday I'll have a nice honeycomb in my collection. That and a stable chocolate Shewa.
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

When you find them LMK because I still need them for my collection, too. You'll probably be able to afford them before I can though. :lol:
PinkDiamond

kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

not if I keep spending my money on carving rough... lol
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
SwordfishMining

I imagine if you just wanted from a particular place for your collection it being treated would not make a difference, and maybe make you buy it if the thing over the raw or tops on price & guarantee alone? Granted were talking having one, not insisting on naturals. I'm spoiled in my old age and would use the treated ones to buy naturals, if I bought and collected that is. I think back to the first Shewa I bought from the guy with the back pack looking over his shoulder. It was a bright red searchlight but opticoned. I cut my rough against the matrix after drying to size.
Artfldgr

Post by Artfldgr »

I may have some small dark pieces... wife wants me to get rid of the stones that are sitting around...and the rough i am not using.. (not just opal)...
so... over time i will probably put something up.. we are cleaning and trying to get organized... she has come around to the idea that being old, and poor and sitting around waiting to die is no way to live... go figure.. :)
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

LOL! So you finally got that much through to her, eh Art? Better late than never seems appropriate here. :lol:
PinkDiamond

Artfldgr

Post by Artfldgr »

nah... we lost nearly 10 years of our prime earning period, alienated friends, didnt have a kid, are stuck where we are, and now may miss out on a lovely two renter house that could earn us money AND buy the house for us...

but as you know, its way after smalls are out of OA
the market has stagnated, with only the top of top making enough
we need the cash now that wont come for three years if she starts today

yeah.. better late than never.. NOT
ignores the time value of money
ignores the law changes
ignores the market changes
and on and on

but... what can i do? at least i can get rid of things that people want and replace them with bigger gems.. heh heh..

you do what you do, till you dont do, and everyone gathers around the man or woman who can do no more no more...
:)
SwordfishMining

Hear hear. Could be a symptom of opalholism or a situation even opalholism cant cure?!?