Hi from Italy

Write a few lines about who you are and where your from here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

Nabbosa

Hi from Italy

Post by Nabbosa »

Good afternoon everyone (at least here in Italy it is :D ),

I'm a newbie opal enthusiast who is looking to get a nice collection and just maybe get into opal cutting as a hobby.
It actually isn't my first time, as a kid I had a dope mineral collection and sold everything when I moved out. I only kept three opals because they were my favourite ones and now I'd like to start collecting again (but just opals!).

-Michele
PinkDiamond

Re: Hi from Italy

Post by PinkDiamond »

Ah, a true opalholic. You'll fit right in here so warmest welcome to the fold, Michele. You're going to love cutting opals, and you'll be able to start out using nail salon tools if you don't have access to a lap. Just make sure you wear eye protection and a mask to keep the airborne particles from getting in your eyes and lungs. We're here for you if you have any questions, so don't be shy about asking for help, and again, welcome to the forum! :D
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Nabbosa

Post by Nabbosa »

Wow, really? I thought you needed to make a big investment in power tools like dremmel, cabbing machine and diamond saw in order to start cutting opals. That's why I was still pondering and actually didn't look much into it. Is there some guide for buying and cutting opals with these cheaper tools?
Thanks so much again!
M.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I always thought the same thing until someone on our old forum ran a cutting contest and invited me to join in the fun, telling me to use files and rasps, so I used metal rasps and emery boards, plus a little battery operated nail tool that was faster than filing by hand. He sent me a piece of seam opal that was very thin, and I had to get the potch off both sides without breaking it. Here's a link to a thread I showed the finished opal in.

viewtopic.php?p=9043&hilit=cindy+crawfo ... lips#p9043

Since then I did buy a used lap, and a dremel-like tool since you don't need to spend big bucks on brand name equipment that always costs more.

I suggest you document your progress in case something goes wrong so you can see where to make a correction next time, but it's not as hard as it looks so I think you'll do fine right out of the gate like I did. Keep us posted! :)

*Edited to add that you're through the screening process now so your posts will appear immediately and you can use the private message system.
PinkDiamond

Nabbosa

Post by Nabbosa »

Thank you very much for the advices, I will definitely look into it and post the result when I have the chance to try it out.
M.
Nabbosa

Post by Nabbosa »

Just to have an idea, how much could some used machinery cost?
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

The dremel-like tool came from a pawn shop with all the implements and parts with it for about $50, and the used lap was between $300 and $400, if memory serves me right, and then you need the laps to go with it so that price probably includes them too, but it was so long ago I honestly don't remember.
PinkDiamond

SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

CIAO! Glad to have you onboard the good ship Opalmaru. (Yes, I just made that up.) My basic carry to make use of my time kit has a bag of rough, a couple little jewelers diamond files, and sand paper. Some polishing compound and leather scrap.
Like this amazon assortment : https://www.amazon.com/Sandpaper-Furnit ... 4049&psc=1
The grit size is similar to using wheels, 120, 220, 400 0r 600 double that 800-1200 again and again then use a little polish on leather to make it shine. With a dremel, coarse grinding fine grinding pre polish and polishing Or flow coat it with Starbond or a epoxy after 3000 to hide pits cracks and cavities. Each one is different so have fun exploring and learning. Some opal and wood you cant improve by polishing so we just armor it by treatment with Starbond and it looks wet, not shiny polished but wet.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
Nabbosa

Post by Nabbosa »

That's super helpful, nice to meet you and many thanks!
M.
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

Welcome Nabbosa :D