Piece of the Week: Marla Aaron’s Largest Lock Yet

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I'm not into these locks we see lately being used in jewelry, and especially not something this size, but some of you may be into them and if you're also into the Kama Sutra this might be something you want to wear so check these out. I have to laugh at the thought of locks this size being worn by a size 2 person like me :lol: , but on a larger person I can see how these would be a nice statement piece, and you can see it in a video on TikTok via the link below.

"Marla Aaron is never short on whimsy or creativity, so it follows that when she decided to make her biggest lock yet, she came up with the idea for a hand-engraved piece inspired by the Kama Sutra.

The Kama Sutra is most commonly associated with sex but, Aaron pointed out, that’s not all there is to it.

“People only think of sexual positions but it’s actually an ancient Sanskrit text that’s about the art of pleasure and the art of being fulfilled in life,” she said.

“And,” she added, “you don’t really know it’s naughty until you’re up close.”

Crafted in 14-karat gold, the “Kama Sutra Lock” is solid and hand-engraved.

Like the brand’s other hand-engraved pieces, including the still-available Alice in Wonderland “DiMe” bracelet, the details are subtle and rich.

Viewed from afar, one would have no idea they were looking at a lock etched with outlines of naked people in adventurous positions. And interspersed among the forms are what Aaron describes as “little life details” that have nothing to do with sex—urns, flowers, fabric, a pipe.

“Hand-engraving is such a dying art. It’s such an honor for me to get to work with an engraver to get to do these pieces,” she said. “It feels like a privilege.”

Suspended from the brand’s largest ever handmade 14-karat gold chain, the Kama Sutra lock is priced at $90,000.

A longtime Marla Aaron customer already bought it, the designer confirmed, but those who want to admire still can do so, if they subscribe to HBO’s streaming service, Max.

Prior the lock’s sale the costume designers from “And Just Like That,” the continuation of HBO’s popular series “Sex and the City,” came to Aaron and her team and asked to borrow some pieces for possible placement on the show.

Aaron said they didn’t ask for, or even know about, the Kama Sutra lock but she threw it in with the other jewelry “because it’s amazing.”

The “And Just Like That” team apparently agreed because the show’s fashion-loving protagonist, Carrie Bradshaw (Sarah Jessica Parker), was seen wearing the large lock in episode 9, “There Goes The Neighborhood,” which sees Carrie make a pivotal decision about her future.

Aaron said it’s not the first time one of her pieces has made an appearance on the revival, which was just renewed for a third season. Cynthia Nixon’s character, Miranda, wore one of the brand’s “Chubby DiMe” rings in an earlier episode.

Unsurprisingly, it’s also not the first time the Kama Sutra has crept into the Sex and the City universe.

For longtime fans of SATC, ... "

https://nationaljeweler.com/articles/12 ... t-lock-yet
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)