How I Got Here: Ashley Taylor on How She Fell in Love in a Jewelry Store

Man-made stones

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Here's another company using LGDs instead of natural gemstones, and I have to wonder if very many of these designers use them due to the price differential compared to natural gemstones since they can offer the customer the same design in LGDs for a lot less. That's just a question that floats around in my mind so I'm not saying that's why this couple uses them. I like their toi et moi ring, but the design of their sunburst wedding ring is the favorite from this one. Here's their story. ;)

By Karen Dybis | August 09, 2023

"Ashley Taylor’s sister Katie never intended to be Cupid, but an unexpected meeting between Katie’s coworker at a jewelry store and Ashley upended all of their lives.

This one’s a doozy, so get ready: Ashley had been working in Slovenia as a missionary and returned to the United States. She had come home somewhat brokenhearted as the man she previously dated was now married. Meanwhile, her sister had gotten engaged while Ashley was overseas, and Ashley would be meeting the fiancé, Zack, for the first time.

“I had older-sister protective vibes to start, but when they came to pick me up at the airport, I could see it was going to be fine. He was a really sweet guy,” Ashley recalls. “Both of them kept talking in tandem about his brother: It was Zack and Jerry, Jerry and Zack.”

Jerry and Ashley Taylor are the husband-and-wife team behind Taylor Custom Rings, for which they both design.

If you’ve watched any romantic comedies, you might guess what happened next. Jerry and Ashley had a meet-cute moment when he came to the sisters’ home to pick something up. They later ran into each other again at the jewelry store where Katie, Jerry, and Zack all worked—and, as Ashley admits, it soon became love. After a short dating period, they married in 2006.

“My sister and I are very close, and we jokingly had planned a double wedding when we were teens. A double wedding really isn’t a great idea, but marrying brothers was,” Ashley says.

Fast-forward through a move from Utah to California: Today, Ashley and Jerry own and operate Taylor Custom Rings, an online company they founded in 2015 that recently opened a showroom in Carlsbad, Calif. Jerry does most of the operations side, and Ashley has joined him in becoming a ring designer.

It’s a far different life from what they once anticipated. Jerry was planning to go to dental school when he started working at the jewelry store; Ashley had studied English literature and linguistics. But their combined talents, along with Jerry’s decision to become a GIA graduate gemologist, turned them into a powerful design team, Ashley says.

One of the newest lab-grown diamond engagement rings from Taylor Custom Rings is the clean, simple Esme ($2,640), shown here below the Sunburst wedding band ($1,510).

“We work together. We raise our four kids together. We just never get tired of each other. Not every partnership is this way, but we’re good with it,” Ashley says.

Ashley began designing rings as a surprise for Jerry. They had just gone out on their own with Taylor Custom Rings, and she was pregnant with their fourth child. Ashley was doing the marketing, but she knew he wanted more designs for their own line of engagement and wedding rings.

One night she sat down and started drawing, letting her imagination flow.

Ashley says she’d never thought of herself as an artist or a potential jewelry designer, but she showed Jerry her sketches—including one for a ring they now call the Darby, which became one of their best sellers.

Ashley Taylor says she would point customers who want something less traditional to the Toi et Moi ring ($2,340), which features two lab-grown stones: a diamond and a peachy-pink sapphire, complementary but contrasting gems coming together.

“As a joke, I had dropped those designs on his lap. He ended up loving them, and talked me through the 3D design elements and how that would work,” Ashley says. “It was exciting to take this thing that was a whim of creativity and make it into something that worked—

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... ey-taylor/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)