Something different, something fun

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

Brightlights

Something different, something fun

Post by Brightlights »

Something just had to be done...

I had a ring that wanted inlay, but it looks so cut like this I decide to make it so. Turquoise and silver ring.

0129172200b_HDR-1.jpg

Now, all foolishness should result in a lesson learned, and such is the case here. I learned that it is faster and cheaper to purchase a ring if one exists like you are making. Instead of fooling around for two hours (i value my time @ 20$ per hour for general goofing off) I found out afterwords that I could of just bought an inlay ready stackable ring almost exactly like I made, for about $15 and moved on. Luckily this wasn't for a customer (as if I have any) but for myself, so that made the lesson even more more valuable. :lol:

I always poo-poo'd mall jewelry stores that only sell catalog stuff and send resizes out to be done off site... Now I see why that would lower overhead and increase profit even after out the door costs are incured. Unless someone is willing to pay for your time, you can't afford to do it at the cost the big casting houses charge for an off the shelf finding....

Oh well I like it, even if it looks slightly crooked in the photo! :lol:
Too many beautiful distractions... https://twitter.com/burningems
PinkDiamond

Re: Something different, something fun

Post by PinkDiamond »

Wow BL, what a daring and bold design. I would be very nervous about hitting the stone and cracking it since it sits up so high. :o
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

Luv the ring, always liked the side ways setting. It's great to wear what you make :!: :D
Lydia

Post by Lydia »

Love the ring, but that wouldn't work for me. I'd have broken the stone the first day out.
Brightlights

Post by Brightlights »

I'm on day two.... Its a pinky ring on me, so I catch it when I reach in my pocket. My son is convinced I'm gonna break it inhalf, but surprisingly nothing yet... I'm curious how long it will last :lol:
Too many beautiful distractions... https://twitter.com/burningems
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

It may surprise you, but if you accidentally whack your hand on something hard I would expect some serious damage. I have an opal ring that's also daring and bold with the raised edges, and it's not something I wear daily, but I have worn it for over 15 years whenever I go out because it's a favorite, and it's still perfectly intact, and wearing amazingly well, so I hope yours stays like it is now for many years too, BL. :)

DelphiasDreamsRing2.JPG
DelphiasDreamsRing2.JPG (32.62 KiB) Viewed 800 times
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Charles

Post by Charles »

"Occasional" rings are great! They just require special handling and care! Enjoy!

:D Charles
Jewelry, Gems, Coins, Guns, Edged Weapons, and other collectibles.
Visit me at http://www.coinbender.com
Questions? PM me here or email me at jdcc4u@mail.com