Piece of the Week: An Opal Pendant Honoring the ‘Grandmother’ of Juneteenth

Man-made stones

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Based on the title I started to put this in the Enthusiast Zone for opals, but when I read it, it turns out that to mass produce these they use lab-grown opals, so they still look nice, but that's why the prices are so low. Lab grown or not, these are lovely tokens honoring 96 year old Opal Lee, and in case you're not familiar with her story, here's why. ;)

"Zales and Kay Jewelers are joining in on Juneteenth celebrations with the debut of a special pendant.

Parent company Signet Jewelers teamed up with the Black Employee Network BRG to honor Opal Lee, known as the “grandmother” of Juneteenth.

The day commemorates the emancipation of enslaved African Americans, celebrating the day in 1865 when Major General Gordon Granger freed the slaves in Texas.

Lee, a retired teacher, was a vocal activist in the movement to make Juneteenth a federally recognized holiday, which came to fruition in 2021.

Lee, now 96, and her supporters still take an annual 2.5-mile walk, called Opal’s Walk for Freedom, in honor of the two-and-a-half years it took for news of freedom to reach enslaved people in Texas.

Opal Lee, a retired teacher, was a vital voice in the movement to honor Juneteenth as a federally recognized holiday. (Image courtesy of Opal’s Walk for Freedom)

The sterling silver sunburst pendant is set with a lab-grown black opal cabochon, surrounded by a 10-karat yellow gold band and a halo of lab-grown white sapphires.

The opal is said to represent “vibrant light and color emerging from darkness.” A star-shaped backplate, a nod to Texas, reads “1865” with a “Juneteenth” tag by the clasp.

The pendant retails for $149 and is available online on Zales and Kay Jewelers’ websites.

From June 1 through July 31, a percentage of sales from the pendant, ... "

https://nationaljeweler.com/articles/12 ... juneteenth
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: Piece of the Week: An Opal Pendant Honoring the ‘Grandmother’ of Juneteenth

Post by SwordfishMining »

Cool. I like to think Opal is the non-racist gem of all representing democracy of all the colors working together to assimilate into one superior stone. You sure can tell the lab opal pattern from a mile away.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"