Colorado's great gems and where to find them

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I found the link to this in the Roskin Gem News Report, and this one is from The Gazette in Colorado. I put all three of the photos in the slideshow at the beginning of the article up for you since they give us a bit of information on each stone shown in the text. We don't often hear of gems coming from Colorado so I thought y'all might find this interesting; especially if you live nearby and are interested in trying your hand at mining some of them. I'm loving the rhodochrosite so if you go and find some pick up one for me. :mrgreen:

By Seth Boster May 22, 2023 Updated May 23, 2023

1 of 3
A smoky quartz and amazonite specimen sits on display in the Pikes Peak Historical Society Museum in Florissant in November.
Gazette file

Aquamarine is Colorado’s official state gem.
Parker Seibold The Gazette

Bright Red Rhodochrosite Mineral against Black Background (copy)

Bright red Rhodochrosite is produced near Alma. Photo courtesy Sandra Gonzales

"Figuratively, we see Colorado’s mountains as a collective treasure trove for all of the rewarding experiences they afford. The landscape is a treasure trove in a literal sense too.

Colorado Geological Survey reports the state naturally produces more than 30 varieties of gemstones. These are the most well-known:

Amazonite The name is derived from the Amazon River, though the mineral is believed to elude the location. Colorado finds itself on a short list of noted sites worldwide. The blue-green prize pops from the stark gray of Pikes Peak granite.

Smoky quartz The Pikes Peak region’s amazonite is famously joined by this dark, cloudy gemstone, combining for a signature mantelpiece. Seekers have unearthed impressive clusters off Crystal Peak, looming like a pyramid over Lake George.

Topaz It’s another jewel of the Pikes Peak region, which was put on the map by gold. Also catching the eye of prospectors was this clear crystal. A rare blue variety from the peak’s Glen Cove is found at Denver Museum of Nature and Science.

Aquamarine Miners who camp on Mount Antero often succumb to what they call “blue fever.” The hunt for this valuable gem, appearing like frozen sea water, can drive a man mad. It was proclaimed the state gemstone in 1971.

Rhodochrosite Denver Museum of Nature and Science houses the Alma King, hailed as the world’s finest ... "

https://gazette.com/life/outdoors/color ... ff409.html
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)