May i brag ? will you brag with me ?

For those of you who've been involved with opals and gemstones for many years, here you can chat with your peers.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

Nili

May i brag ? will you brag with me ?

Post by Nili »

Hi
would love to see you'r fivorit opal but only the ones you have / cut / polishet etc.

i'll post some of main after you all post some of yours ( will give me more time to remmber how to post a photo ) :oops:
Last edited by Nili on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
PinkDiamond

Re: May i brag ? will you brag with me ?

Post by PinkDiamond »

Of course you can, Nili, although I haven't really cut enough to have a favorite, so I would have to choose the very first Welo I cut after being invited by Mike Kelly to try my hand at cabbing in the first contest held on our old forum, which he sponsored. He supplied an excruciatingly thin and oddly shaped piece of rough to me, and said I could even do it with nail salon tools, so I did. I ended up with a somewhat heart shape opal that has a slight downward curve to it toward the back, and I had to leave a tiny dent of base rock near one upper edge on it, because the opal was too thin to remove it, so I left the flaw, and called the opal Cindy Crawford's lips. :lol:

WeloFinalPolishingCrop3.jpg
WeloFinalPolishingCrop3.jpg (24.67 KiB) Viewed 1590 times

Oh, and to upload pics just click Attachments below a reply pane, then click Add Files, navigate to your photo and click to upload it. You'll see a green progress bar off to the right as the site resizes and uploads it, and then a prompt will appear to Place Inline, but don't click it yet. Instead, place your cursor wherever you want the pic to land, and then click Place Inline, because when the pic uploads, the cursor will move and can land anywhere, and then the pic will be in the wrong place, so place your cursor before placing it inline. ;)

I've actually had it happen where the pic landed in the middle of a word so I had to remove it, put my cursor where it belonged, and click Place Inline again. :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

I really like this 2.5ct Virgin Valley. Over 15 years ago and still a fine gem quality opal with bright flagstone multicolor 360 degrees.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

P1000734.JPG
This my favorite because I cut and polished it, I wear it almost everyday on a long chain so I can look at it. :D Pink very nice job :!: John lovely opal.
Nili

Post by Nili »

Pink you cut and polished it with nail salon tools !?! how long did that take ?
it's lovly !!!
got to ask what do you use for the finish and how ?

Sword it's beautiful !

Crazy8s i i love the stone .i have noticed the seting too did you do it ? and if i may ask for a photo of the side to lurn .

I hope to start cuting in a few months a friend got a polishing mecnisem and she sead she'l let me try it after she gets used to it .

mean time i just love the shewa opals ( i love all opals But shewa is just something about them )
so here is one that was very simpel to photo :roll:
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

Hi Nili good to see you :!: A jeweler did the gold work. Your shewa is very colorful. 8-)
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Yup, I used a small battery operated nail tool with different attachments to cut and polish it, which was done with some cerium oxide someone very graciously sent me. :)

OpalCuttingToolsFxResizedCropped.jpg

Nothing like getting back to basics. :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Nili

Post by Nili »

crazy8s Thank you i love that showa a lot :).. and yeee for this one one das need sunglasess ;)
the jewler did a very nice job ,from what i can see looks simpel and good .
Pink may i ask how long did it take you to do the work ? i'm imprest !
i hope to capture a wello i hand polished with sandpaper that took a few days on and off i still feel i can get more of it , i trid to photo it but it just refused :roll:
Rockranger1

Post by Rockranger1 »

To start it off with is a Mintabie opal from Mick and the other one is Virgin valley wood from Swordfishmining.

crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

Both beautiful :D