UPDATE: It's a boy! Albatross chick hatches 1-24-23. Fledges 9-16-23

Discussion and pictures of your favorite critters!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

crazy8s

Re: UPDATE: It's a boy! Albatross chick hatches

Post by crazy8s »

:mrgreen:
PinkDiamond

Re: UPDATE: It's a boy! Albatross chick hatches

Post by PinkDiamond »

Success!! I knew Manaaki fledged on the 16th because I saw him go, but when it took them 3 days to post the video of it I wondered if it was one of the other chicks, so I was glad to see this clip finally get posted. He did a beautiful job of fledging, and I hope he returns to the same area in 3 or more years when the urge to breed hits him. Bon voyage and God bless, Manaaki!! :D

After watching this cam for so many months I now have empty nest syndrome. :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
PinkDiamond

Re: UPDATE: It's a boy! Albatross chick hatches 1-24-23. Fledges 9-16-23

Post by PinkDiamond »

This came via email, and I saw a video saying the last chick finally fledged today! I'm delighted it says that this year's nesters are already returning to the colony to prepare for this year's nesting season since I miss the sounds coming from this cam. Here's hoping we get another great view of the nestlings which should start hatching in January 2024. :)

Watch Manaaki's last appearance on the Royal Albatross Cam before fledging. (see above post)

Manaaki Takes Flight Over Pacific Ocean

Bon voyage, Manaaki! The Royal Albatross Cam's star chick bid farewell to his faithful viewers after rising off his nest and gliding out of frame on September 16. New Zealand Department of Conservation rangers report that Manaaki may have spent some time downslope from the nest before departing the nesting colony for good. Watch Manaaki's final appearance on cam.

Long Journey Ahead: It was a bittersweet goodbye after spending the past seven months watching Manaaki grow from a ball of fluffy down into an ocean explorer, but it was his time to fly. The 239-day-old nestling departed just one day ahead of the average fledging age (240 days) for Northern Royal Albatross. Manaaki will now spend the next 4–10 years exploring vast stretches of the ocean before returning to the breeding colony at Pukekura/Taiaroa Head to find a mate.

Empty Nesters: Manaaki's parents (female "L" and male "GLY") have since returned with attempts to feed their chick, only to find him fledged. This is typical for Royal Albatross. Parents neither associate with nor provide care for their offspring once the youngsters have left. The adults will now return to the ocean for one year to recharge before attempting another breeding season.

Still More To Watch: Don't forget to tune in live to the Royal Albatross Cam. Several chicks have yet to fledge, and next season's breeders are already returning to the colony to prepare for the upcoming season. Stay up to date on the cam's Twitter/X account @RoyAlbatrossCam for news about what's in store for 2023-24.
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)