Opal Prrawn... Oh! MY! Bare Nakid Opals Playing Volleyball!!

For those of you who've been involved with opals and gemstones for many years, here you can chat with your peers.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

OpalSpectrum

Re: Opal Prrawn... Oh! MY! Bare Nakid Opals Playing Volleyball!!

Post by OpalSpectrum »

nice stuff :)
1st stone is really good and i know this pattern but there is no 'official' name for it
but did you finished the back ? if not you should do it !
even though good welo is very stable unfinished can crack very easy so always polish it all around
also in this case there should be honeycomb on the back :)

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
Artfldgr

Post by Artfldgr »

THANKS!!

i tend to leave them a bit course on the back...
its an interesting question whether polished surfaces are harder to crack, or rough ones.
you can make cogent arguments on both sides...
It gets even more complicated once one factors in varying internal structures, water, etc...

the main reason i don't do it is for the same reason glass loses light out the back and frosted glass doesn't
basically superstition... :)
given that none of us tested this, and no of nothing on it, we are stuck with beliefs and superstition

though don't knock it as people who work with things for long time have intuitions that are great even if they cant formulate what they are doing in a way that math men like me could do something with it. at least i am not like others that claim cause i don't know they don't, its just different knowing, when it works and is confirmed (otherwise its a belief of knowing, not the same thing as beliefs are more real than real - meaning they trump real).

wish i had the time to actually do a test with an opal... i have tons of junk that would be ok for a test..
but first it has to be formulated and thats not easy... (bad science can look like good science i form, and its hard to tell them apart without some deep thinking on how things are set up and the claims one wants... i see some of the worst coming from weather area under politics, and social sciences for the same area, politics... )

one really would have to create a set up in which the mechanism of light measure would stay fixed relative to the stone
so i guess one would have to start with a polished stone all around, mount it with the bottom accessible in the mount, mount the light, mount the sensor, and make that all fixed... then put it in a container to restrict all other light, then measure... remove the item, and then sand the bottom of the stone (dry as wet would change the nature of the rest of the stone), and then repeat the measurement...

i would bet that there would be more light on the frosted one, however i would also bet that it is so small that it means nothing (given surface area, vs transmission vs reflection).

just thinking outloud... sorry...
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

you are right about the light because in fully polished crystal opal light will go through and with 'rough' back some light will bounce back which can increase the fire.
but I think fully polished stone is more stable and solid because welo is hydrophane and porous and with 1 unfinished side the surface reacts in different way

I had some accidents and I did some tests :) like throwing opal on the wall and floor :o :lol: and it's amazing what good welo can survive
couple times I could not believe it didn't crack
btw. also it's important to remove all the dirt and clay because small dirt spot can cause crazing

:)

Artfldgr

Post by Artfldgr »

I hate the, can i see... be careful :D ... oh, but i am :roll: ... oops :( ... snik... tic tic tic tic... :o
off the end of the glass table... sni :? k... onto the wood floor :shock: ... tic tick tic... :evil:
just because i made one accident you really shouldn't be upset over that small 10ct thing :twisted:
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

:lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

haha :P
my worst accident was on the flat lap when the opal went off the dop and flew straight into the wall :shock: :lol:

Charles

Post by Charles »

Got any boulder?

Images, weights, dimensions and prices please.

Charles
Jewelry, Gems, Coins, Guns, Edged Weapons, and other collectibles.
Visit me at http://www.coinbender.com
Questions? PM me here or email me at jdcc4u@mail.com
Artfldgr

Post by Artfldgr »

only some small boulder opals.. karoite i think
nothing impressive or even that good... :(

but if i have time i can take pics if i find it and show you...
Charles

Post by Charles »

Thank you.

:)
Jewelry, Gems, Coins, Guns, Edged Weapons, and other collectibles.
Visit me at http://www.coinbender.com
Questions? PM me here or email me at jdcc4u@mail.com