Good Gemmo & Opal Reads!

For those of you who've been involved with opals and gemstones for many years, here you can chat with your peers.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

gingerkid

Good Gemmo & Opal Reads!

Post by gingerkid »

Books?

Postby gingerkid » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:22 am
how-dee, sheriff pink diamond lady!! :D wondering if we could start a thingamajig of recommended books to read on gemmo goodies??? :D

"Man is the Only Animal that Blushes...
or Needs To..."
Mark Twain

Re: Books?

Postby PinkDiamond » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:44 pm
LOL Ginge! I ain't the sheriff, but a list of books sounds like a great idea, and it looks like you've already got one started, so I'll play. :lol:

My favorite opal books are:

Opal Adventures, by Paul B Downing, Ph.D.

Beautiful Lightning Ridge, by Len Cram (I have the special edition)

I love Agates and Jaspers, by Ron Gibbs

Gemstones of the World, by Walter Schumann

Color Encyclopedia of Gemstones, by Joel E Arem, PhD., FGA

Photoatlas of Inclusions, by EJ Gubelin and J I Koivula

The MicroWorld of Diamonds, by John I Koivula

For gemology I couldn't live without:

OPL's Students' Guide to Spectroscopy by Colin H Winter, FGA, DGA

and The Spectroscope and Gemology, by Basil Anderson & James Payne

Bill Hanneman's Guide to Affordable Gemology,
and
Naming Gem Garnets, W. Wm. Hanneman, PhD

And finally, Flux-Enhanced Rubies & Sapphires,
and Beryllium-Treated Rubies & Sapphires, by Ted Themelis

How's that for starters. :mrgreen:
PinkDiamond
ISG RG
Member IGS

While creating women, God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth.

And then God smiled and made the earth round. :mrgreen:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
("")("")

Postby gingerkid » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:27 am
i've got a couple of dr. hanneman's books--it's a miracle i haven't dropped a gemstone in my eye giving visual gemology a try. and i love dr. hanneman's sense of humor->makes learning about gemstones even more fun!! 8) did you make your garnet rosetta stone???

"Agates and Jaspers" by Ron Gibbs (my fave!!)

latest edition of "Gemstones of the World" by Walter Schumann

"Gem Identification Made Easy" by Antoinette Matlins

"The French Blue" by Richard Wise

"Gemstones: Symbols of Beauty and Power" by Dr. Edward Gübelin

a lot of books i've read from the library--we have a library system which allows us to check out books within Georgia, pretty cool, eh?? here's the books i've read so far:

"The Story of Jewelry" by Marcus Baerwald and Tim Mahoney

"Beyond the Glitter" by Gerald L. Wykoff

"The Rise and Fall of Diamonds: The Shattering of a Brilliant Illusion" by Edward J. Epstein

"Hope Diamond: The Legendary History of a Cursed Gem" by Richard Kurin/Smithsonian Books

"The Diamond Smugglers" by Ian Fleming (creator of James Bond/007, one of the few non-fiction books Fleming wrote-read it in a couple of hours)

"Diamond: A Journey to the Heart of an Obsession" by Matthew Hart

"The Diamond Magnates" by Brian Roberts--very good book!!

"Blood from Stones" by Douglass Farah

"All About Jewelry" by Rose Leiman Goldemberg

"The Jewelry in Your Life" by Morton R. Sarett

Fiction:
"Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins (based on the Orloff and Koh-I-Noor diamonds legends/mysteries/curses)

and returning tomorrow to the library...

read according to Dr. Barbra Smigel's free gemology course instructions:

"Guide to Gems and Precious Stones" by Kenneth Lyman

"Smithsonian Handbook: Gemstones" by Caty Hall

then will pick up tomorrow:

"The Stone of Heaven: Unearthing the Secret History of Imperial Green Jade" by Adrian Levy and Cathy Scott-Clarke

"Opals" :P :P by Fred Ward

and still waiting on the arrival of "Amber: Window to the Past" by David A. Grimaldi

books i didn't finish that i checked out :P but will finish sometime:

"Oppenheimer and Son" by Anthony Hocking (very sad what i did read on Ernest Oppenheimer's life)

"Precious Stones: Volumes I and II" by Max Bauer (this book weighed a ton)

or Needs To..."
Mark Twain

Postby PinkDiamond » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:36 pm
Nice! I agree Ron's Agates and Jaspers is a favorite; the photos are KILLER! :!:

I also have Gem Identification Made Easy by Antoinette Matlins; great book.

The Jewelry & Gems Buying Guide, by Antoinette Matlins and AC Bonano

How to Buy a Diamond, by Fred Cuellar

Gemstone Buying Guide, by Renée Newman

Rock and Gem, by the Smithsonian

Gemology, by Cornelius S Hurlbut Jr & George S Switzer

Handbook of Gem Identification, by Richard T Liddicoat, Jr

Gemmologists' Compendium, by Robert Webster, revised by E Alan Jobbins

I love Rocks and Minerals, by Frederick H Pough

and the pics in Collecting Fluorescent Minerals, by Stuart Schneider, rival Ron's when it comes to fascinating shots. :!:

And one of my favorites, Genuine Diamonds in Arkansas Wonder why? :mrgreen:
PinkDiamond
ISG RG
Member IGS

While creating women, God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
("")("")

Postby mehoose » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:52 am
Well, only have a few:

How and where to find gems in Australia and NZ

Jeweller's Directory of gems

LOL, a few others in a box somewhere's and forgotten the names :wink:

Just added Gem ID made easy by Matlins,

Creative stonesetting

Picked up an oldie by Boegel/Sinkankas, great illustrations

Rocks and Minerals of Britain and UK by Jones

Oh oh, it's not a book but I also got that cute SG travel kit from Pretty Rock. :P First dinkum tool for gemmo. Quite a ways to go eh? Not to mention have to get batteries, but hey, working on it. :mrgreen:
Hehe, not one opal book but I do have a DVD on opal. :P

Actually, that pic book of rocks, don't think he's shipping that outside the US yet, think it's the one by Ron. Would LUV to get my hands on it if it's the same one.

Keep em comin!!!

Postby Gemjunkie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:57 am
Is this the 'Ron' book you're talking about?
0119db1a7d703b1da50ec7814f5d35e1.jpg
0119db1a7d703b1da50ec7814f5d35e1.jpg (14.85 KiB) Viewed 561 times

http://www.theimagebooks.com/
According to the website they ship internationally, $25 shipping to AU. I hate that they don't put a hard cover on a $40 book, though. :evil:

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer. -Bruce Graham

Store bought computers are for those that don’t know any better! -Bryan Lord

Postby gingerkid » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:41 am
:D good heavens at the books, sheriff lady pink diamond!! looks like you have a nice collection of reference books. you, too, moohaus!! i only have 5 gemmo books, the rest i check out/read from the library.

gosh, didn't know that mr. ron wasn't shipping the book outside the us. maybe you could contact him through his e-mail and ask if he would send you a copy of it anyway. it would be great if it were in hard cover as gemjunkie mentioned. some places have the book for sale, that may ship outside the us. ? if you search for it, you'll find it and can check.

or Needs To..."
Mark Twain

Postby PinkDiamond » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:56 am

Gemjunkie wrote:
Is this the 'Ron' book you're talking about?
0119db1a7d703b1da50ec7814f5d35e1.jpg
0119db1a7d703b1da50ec7814f5d35e1.jpg (14.85 KiB) Viewed 561 times

http://www.theimagebooks.com/

According to the website they ship internationally, $25 shipping to AU. I hate that they don't put a hard cover on a $40 book, though. :evil:

Yes, it's the same book I recommended in my quartz article. I'd agree with you about it being hardcover, but I've got enough books that cost over $100. I'll have to settle for paperback. :?
PinkDiamond
ISG RG
Member IGS

(\__/)
(='.'=)
("")("")

Postby mehoose » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:18 am
Yeah, that's the book :P AH now see that's changed. Was watchin him put the book together and was soooo disappointed it wasn't going International. Good to see that has finally changed. Now, if you hadn't said that, I would never have been putting it on my Christmas wish list cos I wouldn't have gone back to the site. Not into self m...wots the word any who, thanks for letting me know. AWSUM. :P

Keep em comin!!!

Postby Gemjunkie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:45 am

mehoose wrote:
Not into self m...wots the word any who,

self medication :?:

self modifying :?:

self mutilation :?:

self mimicry :?:

self massage :?:

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer. -Bruce Graham

Postby mehoose » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:52 am
YES! :lol:

Keep em comin!!!

Postby PinkDiamond » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:38 am
Uhh... yes to ALL of them??! :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG RG
Member IGS

(\__/)
(='.'=)
("")("")

Postby mehoose » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:37 am
hehehe 8-) :wink:

Keep em comin!!!

Postby gingerkid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:32 pm
here's a good book i wanted to suggest to y'all. fast reading, mystery, solve the puzzle, cannot put it down type of fiction book on gems. :D read some reviews that the book is similar to the type of books that dan brown writes.

"The Tavernier Stones" by Stephen Parrish

about the author of the book - Stephen Parrish is a gemologist and cartographer, which makes the book even more interesting.

or Needs To..."
Mark Twain

Postby Voltaire » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:32 pm

Opal Identification and Value - by Paul B Downing, Ph.D.

Gemmology - by Peter Read

Pink,
Do you have any suggestions of any good up-to-date books on treatments and synthetics?

We're all a bunch of Yowah nuts. :mrgreen:

Postby Rockranger » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:40 pm
I would really,really like some info regarding: :D The Stone of Heaven: Unearthing the Secret History of Imperial Green Jade" by Adrian Levy and Cathy Scott-Clarke
Please keep me posted on what you think of it,there is so many different color patterns of jade.Grades etc....

'Harmony is the flow of life. Everything strives for harmony, for balance. The stronger determines the weaker and makes it equal to itself.'

Postby Rockranger » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:00 am
Thanks Wolf...Your an expert on jade... priceless....After doing some digging on polar jade my lord,I think i have myself a nice investment at home

Last edited by Rockranger on Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

'Harmony is the flow of life. Everything strives for harmony, for balance. The stronger determines the weaker and makes it equal to itself.'

Postby PinkDiamond » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:11 am

Voltaire wrote:
Pink,
Do you have any suggestions of any good up-to-date books on treatments and synthetics?

No, sorry I can't help you with that Voltaire. I just have info I picked up online on various gems and their treatments. But let me know if you find a good one.
PinkDiamond
ISG RG
Member IGS

(\__/)
(='.'=)
("")("")

Postby GeorgeSharen » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:16 am
hi Voltaire

Gems
Their sources descriptions and identification by webster 7th edition, i think, has sections on treatments and synthetics

but it is extremely expensive. I have the third edition some what outdated but still usuable

George
A Chinese proverb says "Gold is valuable, Jade is Priceless.

And Loki smiled and rolled the dice

“Things may come to those who wait…but only the things left by those who hustle.” - Abraham Lincoln

Postby PinkDiamond » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:35 am
Yes, that's a great book. I only have the 3rd edition too, and it's definitely outdated, but it's better than not having one at all. I only have 2 books specifically on treatments;

Flux-Enhanced Rubies & Sapphires, and Beryllium-Treated Rubies & Sapphires, both by Ted Themelis;

but they're only for those gems. You might want to check out this, but it doesn't appear to be available on Amazon, and wouldn't include any of the newest treatments unless there's been new editions:

Gemstone Enhancement: History, Science and State of the Art – by Kurt Nassau (1994) – Virtually the only book on this important subject.

PinkDiamond
ISG RG
Member IGS

(\__/)
(='.'=)
("")("")

Postby Voltaire » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:23 am
Pink,

Have you read Artificial gemstones by Michael O'donoghue?

Has a focus on synthetics. I have an out-dated version of that one I just remembered. Need to get a more recent version. :D

Postby PinkDiamond » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:27 pm
No, I don't Voltaire; at least not yet, but that's supposed to be an excellent one and it's on my ever-growing list. ;)
PinkDiamond
ISG RG
Member IGS

(\__/)
(='.'=)
("")("")

Postby Voltaire » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:06 pm
Highly recommended book. :D

Postby Gemjunkie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:47 am
I just got notice of a new Spinel book, Terra Spinel - Terra Firma, from Richard Hughes' newsletter. $95+$65 s&h, though.
http://www.spinelbook.com/
This guy should read the thread about licking stuff.
d7a45e407777dfa814376dadd8e83bd4.jpg

Postby PinkDiamond » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:57 am
When I clicked to reply, at first I couldn't write anything on the page, and my cursor is missing! :shock:

I hope all our cutters remember that picture next time they get the urge to pop a stone into their mouth. EWWWW!

The shipping is ridiculous on that book. Hughes needs import them in bulk and have a distributor locally because most people aren't going to be willing to pay 2/3 of the price of the book to have it shipped. I know I won't! :?

Weird, my cursor just showed up again. Nice of it to join the party. :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG RG
Member IGS

(\__/)
(='.'=)
("")("")

Postby Gemjunkie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:12 am
They'll be available at the Tucson show, for those lucky enough to be attending. :mrgreen:

Postby Rockranger » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:29 am
Whooaaa mama...May as well have those pulled and have some diamonds inserted... :lol:

Postby gingerkid » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:24 pm

Rockranger wrote:
I would really,really like some info regarding: :D
The Stone of Heaven: Unearthing the Secret History of Imperial Green Jade" by Adrian Levy and Cathy Scott-Clarke
Please keep me posted on what you think of it,there is so many different color patterns of jade.Grades etc....

hi RR,

"The Stone of Heaven: Unearthing the Secret History of Imperial Green Jade," by Levy and Scott-Clarke

is mainly about the world's obsession (seriously, especially interesting is to read about the jade-obsessed Chinese emperor, Qianlong, in the book) with jadeite and includes a lot of history (for example: how the chinese operate the burmese jadeite mines and how they took control of it). the authors did a lot of research on imperial jade/jadeite and travel to the burmese jadeite mines. what they find at the mines are frightening-many of the miners are hooked on heroin, which many accept as pay for working at the mines instead of money, prostitution in the area, and many miners have aids. it's a good book, though. :)

or Needs To..."
Mark Twain

Postby Rockranger » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:29 pm

gingerkid wrote:

Rockranger wrote:
I would really,really like some info regarding: :D The Stone of Heaven: Unearthing the Secret History of Imperial Green Jade" by Adrian Levy and Cathy Scott-Clarke

hi RR,

"The Stone of Heaven: Unearthing the Secret History of Imperial Green Jade," by Levy and Scott-Clarke, is mainly about the world's obsession (seriously, especially interesting is to read about the jade-obsessed Chinese emperor, Qianlong, in the book) with jadeite and includes a lot of history (for example: how the chinese operate the burmese jadeite mines and how they took control of it). the authors did a lot of research on imperial jade/jadeite and travel to the burmese jadeite mines. what they find at the mines are frightening-many of the miners are hooked on heroin, which many accept as pay for working at the mines instead of money, prostitution in the area, and many miners have aids. it's a good book, though. :)

sound like the red light district in edmonton..... :lol: now i want to read this even more. :wink:
Thanks GK.....

Postby gingerkid » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:20 pm
taking forever for me to finish, since i've been "trying" to work with the welo :P , but, so far i've enjoyed reading

Eric Bruton's, "Legendary Gems or Gems That Made History."

Their are several chapters on famous diamonds: famous diamonds that vanished, fancy-colored diamonds, etc... and a chapter on emeralds and rubies, sapphires, pearls, and other famous gems, and dealers and collectors of magnificent gemstones.

then i'm reading, "Letters to Seabiscuit." :P

or Needs To..."
Mark Twain

Postby gingerkid » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:07 am
gonna pick up

"The Opal Book," by Frank Leechman (1961)

tomorrow at the library. has anyone read it?? and if you have, i would love to know your thoughts on the book. :)

reading

"The Hot Siberian," by Gerald A. Browne

which i'm enjoying so far. it's a fiction book about some characters revolving around the diamond industry and diamonds from russia.

or Needs To..."
Mark Twain

Postby gingerkid » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:30 pm
finished "hot siberian," by gerald a. browne a couple of days ago. really enjoyed it, too!!! just started reading "the opal book," by frank leechman, and are really enjoying it thus far. :) going this afternoon to the library to pick up renee newman's book, "exotic gems," (2010). hopefully, there will be some goodies on opal in there. :P

or Needs To..."
Mark Twain

Postby mehoose » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:55 pm
LOL, where dya find the time to read em all woman :wink:
Actually, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on

June Culp Zeitner's book, sounds 8-)

Keep em comin!!!

Postby gingerkid » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:12 am
lol, moohaus, i love to read, i think i get it from my mother, the bookworm. she has shelves of books covering the walls in her living room. funny thing is that she "trades" used books for other books, and i've witnessed her bringing home books that she had previously purchased. :?: when we were in highschool, one of my brother's best friends asked my mother if he could "check out" some of her books. lol!! but, now, she has one of those kindle thingamajigs where she can download books from amazon, and she downloads books like a crazy woman. lol!

oh, i also grabbed,

"18mm Blues," by Gerald A. Browne

today. it's about pearls (fiction) and the pearl industry.

i think i know which book you're talking about, moohaus, the book on gem and lapidary materials? it's in our library system, too, and i had it in favorites to check out soon. i'll let you know when/if i read it, okay?? i think you can find it online, not too sure how much it costs though.

or Needs To..."
Mark Twain

Postby mehoose » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:00 pm
There's one in Aus I have my eye on, they're generally around $75 here so fingers crossed.
Would be great for a personal opinion tho beforehand, I'd be buying it blind, figuratively speaking of course and no offense meant.
Yup, that's definitely the one..crazy how I could remember her name and not the title. :?

Keep em comin!!!

Postby Gemjunkie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:30 pm
Might save money buying from a US dealer.
http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork ... =6&qsort=p

There's a used copy in Chicago for $15 +$14 shipping to Australia.
http://goo.gl/UmDjX

Postby mehoose » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:34 pm
Think hubby has used that first one before, thanks GJ.

Keep em comin!!!

Postby gingerkid » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:18 pm

Gemjunkie wrote:
Might save money buying from a US dealer.
http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork ... =6&qsort=p

There's a used copy in Chicago for $15 +$14 shipping to Australia.
http://goo.gl/UmDjX

wow, GJ, that's excellent shipping prices to oz for moohaus!! you rock!!

hope you can get your hands on a copy, moohaus!! :) and please let me know if you do purchase it, and what you think of the book.

or Needs To..."
Mark Twain

Postby SwordfishMining » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:42 pm
I personally have a copy of

Ancient Forests by Davis and Dayvault

which has a good tour of the worlds deposits including the precious opal woods of Virgin Valley. I'm trying to find a used copy at a used price for

The World of Opals by Alan Eckert.

Those will go on my "reference shelf that is longer than my arm. It goes from GIA manuals to roadside geology texts.

John Church is Swordfish Mining at http://www.virginvalleyopal.com "We'll jump over our shadows."

Postby GeorgeSharen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:19 pm
hi guys

Was thinking of getting a Kindle ... so I checked the kindle store ... books on gemology and gems etc ... page after page comes up when you search gemstone in the store .. so looks like a good deal
BTW you can get an app from amazon to read kindle books on your PC

Searches .. gemstone .. lapidary ... jwelery making tons of books farily cheap for the most part
just my opinion :)

George
A Chinese proverb says "Gold is valuable, Jade is Priceless.

And Loki smiled and rolled the dice

“Things may come to those who wait…but only the things left by those who hustle.” - Abraham Lincoln

Postby gingerkid » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:00 am
george, my mother would not part with her kindle for anything, especially since she can read books with enlarged print on it. some of the books from amazon, you may download free, too!

almost finished with "the opal book," by frank leechman. was astonished to read about the conditions at white cliffs in oz for those searching for opals. :shock: this took place in the late 1800's. wondered if opal was mined today in the white cliffs area?? :?

or Needs To..."
Mark Twain

Postby gingerkid » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:41 pm
going tomorrow to pick up,

"Stone Grinding and Polishing: Make Your Own Gems," by David F. Olson (1973), and

"Hand Lapidary Craft (1980)," by Graham Geldart.

lol, i really need to read the 2nd one, hopefully there's tips on "how to deal with split/cracked fingers and thumbs while polishing." :oops: has anyone read any of these??

or Needs To..."
Mark Twain

Postby PinkDiamond » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:12 pm
RJ at the ISG has made a special purchase of some books (booklets) some of you may be interested in, written by Len Cram. He may actually be buying all the stock Len has left, so these books won't be available at all soon.
1c479b81acf526a8c89e66f6305ce4b5.jpg

The small black one is
Opals The Beautiful Gem of Passion
A Simple Buying Guide, by Len Cram

The one on the left is
The Wonders Of Fossicking & Exploring The Australian Opal Fields
By Len Cram

And the largest one in the middle is
Beautiful Yowah & Koroit
Special Edition
By Len Cram

They're filled with gorgeous pics and info on all the Australian opal locations, what to look for when buying, charts, maps; they're full of information and have outstanding pics, and RJ will be selling them as a set of all 3 for $30, for anyone interested in acquiring them since they'll be out of print once this batch is gone. ;)

If anyone's interested, let me know here and I'll have a set saved for you, and will direct you to the link where they're offering them as soon as it gets posted, which should be next week.
PinkDiamond
ISG RG
Member IGS

(\__/)
(='.'=)
("")("")

Postby gingerkid » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:16 pm
:shock: what an excellent price for the 3 opal books by len cram, pink!!

or Needs To..."
Mark Twain

Postby PinkDiamond » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:42 am
...pssst.... I know the guy and can get you a set if you want them before they're available to those outside the ISG. :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG RG
Member IGS

(\__/)
(='.'=)
("")("")

Postby gingerkid » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:01 am
wow, you know him, pink?? i've seen his books on wayne's auction site. i believe wayne has some of them on there.

oh, found a couple of books listed on wayne's blog to read in the future. one is about horse racing and gemstones--my kind of book, lol!!

or Needs To..."
Mark Twain

Postby PinkDiamond » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:15 pm
Noooo ginge, I know RJ!!
PinkDiamond
ISG RG
Member IGS

(\__/)
(='.'=)
("")("")

Postby TobyBaptiste » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:24 am
My first opal book probably the best investment for any beginer or hobbiest cutter.
75aa1ac02f18ab024c88147291488c6c.jpg
75aa1ac02f18ab024c88147291488c6c.jpg (18.92 KiB) Viewed 561 times

http://majesticpress.com/id75.html

"A fool knows the price of everthing but knows the value of nothing."
Toby Baptiste

Postby PinkDiamond » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:32 pm
Thanks Toby! I noticed they have a DVD too, and although you probably don't have that or you would have mentioned it, which would be better; to read about how to cut opals, or to watch how someone does it?
231c2178830c2bb8dedaf3e434863207.gif

http://majesticpress.com/id73.html

Your thoughts? ...anyone? :?:
PinkDiamond
ISG RG
Member IGS

(\__/)
(='.'=)
("")("")

Postby mehoose » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:04 am
I'm a book junkie but also monkey see monkey do. You can see what someone is talking about but also what they're not talking about. The little things they might forget to say cos they do it all the time. Even just a way they roll their wrists or in your case Pink, where a wheel is in relation to how they sit.

Keep em comin!!!

Postby gingerkid » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:51 am
:lol: :oops: pink!!

i agree with moohaus; watching the dvd would probably make learning how to cut opal much easier to learn since as she already mentioned, little details can be left out in black and white print on how to do something. before we tiled our kitchen floor, rick purchased a dvd on how to do it. :wink:

or Needs To..."
Mark Twain

Postby TobyBaptiste » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:12 pm
I do not have the dvd but for any beginer I would say it is a must have dvd.. any visual aid is always great and a video would be a supperior advantage.. yes it is" monkey see and monkey do" I have always learned hand and tech skills by watching and learning then doing, people or visual creatures in more ways than just one. I have been fortunate to be able to see almost anything done once and have the ability to reproduce what I have seen and retain it for later use. This was very helpful in moving up the ladder in any employment situtaion I found myself in.

"A fool knows the price of everthing but knows the value of nothing."
Toby Baptiste

Postby PinkDiamond » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:40 pm
Thanks y'all! I had a feeling it would be easier, and I'm glad y'all think so too. Thanks for posting that Toby! :D
PinkDiamond
ISG RG
Member IGS

(\__/)
(='.'=)
("")("")
~ Jan ~

"...you gotta know your ABC's...
Always. Be. Cool." 8-)
- Boyd Crowder
gingerkid

Re: Good Gemmo & Opal Reads!

Post by gingerkid »

Enjoyed rereading the ole thread. Still crack up at the photo GJ posted. :lol:

Most of George F. Kunz's books may be found online and read for free at archive.org.

I have downloaded most of them into Adobe Digital Editions, then upload them onto the tablet for reading.

Max Bauer's Precious Stones, Vol. I and II, is also available online at archive.org.

An RTH friend and member recently released an ebook that may be downloaded at Amazon.

The name of the book is "Crystal Cash: Fast Easy Money Magick Using Popular Stones (Exploring Crystal Magic Book 1)" by Elaine Radford.

This was a very interesting and informative book, and I enjoyed the author's great sense of humor. No, it's not about 'magic.'

She also has written a lot of books on birds. :)
~ Jan ~

Always. Be. Cool." 8-)
- Boyd Crowder
gingerkid

Post by gingerkid »

Wanted to add that Dr. Hanneman's books and tools may be purchased through Mikon Online website.

Pretty Rock.com also sells some of Dr. Hanneman's filters. At one time, they had some of his books, too.
~ Jan ~

Always. Be. Cool." 8-)
- Boyd Crowder
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Yes, Dr Bill's books are excellent, and I have his book on garnets, and visual optics, and I highly recommend them. I bought some equipment from him directly many years ago, and have all his filters, and even snagged his last bench model of the Jeweler's Eye. :mrgreen: IMHO he is brilliant. :!:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
gingerkid

Post by gingerkid »

You are a lucky gal to have received Dr. Hanneman's Jewelers Eye, Pink! :mrgreen:

I asked for Dr. Bill's autograph when I purchased a lot of his printed materials, and he sent Rick a free book on "What Trout Actually See." So I'm jealous of Rick. Dr. Hanneman enjoys fishing, too. :)
~ Jan ~

Always. Be. Cool." 8-)
- Boyd Crowder