Biggs Landscape Outback theme

Post all non-opal carvings and creations here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

KKHK

Biggs Landscape Outback theme

Post by KKHK »

Hi there.

Got "Outback" as out theme for this months challenge. Had a few options and went with the last piece I got from this wonderful Biggs.

As the challenge lends itself to quite a few landscape materials, I went with this one, as the colour is strong, and it has a wonderful mixture of traditional jasper with Opal and Agate interspersed.

But being me :) I want to take it one step further.

So my personal challenge is to utilize the material and yet still impart something that makes sense to me.
Unlike regular carving, where one tries to create something to stand out from the background. my intention here is to keep cuts shallow in order to keep the background in focus, and only then making one aware that there is more to be seen.

I think I failed with the flat side, as the face got too deep, so even if everything is properly sanded and polished it will stand out from any angle.

Pictures are taken to show carving for now.

I think side two (rounded) might fare better. Cuts are shallower and wider distributed. So head on, the tree should merge into the background.

Gotta work the next few days, so update should be ready somewhere around Monday.
Thanks for looking, Kurt
opalcreations

Re: Biggs Landscape Outback theme

Post by opalcreations »

Beautiful work Kurt!
Again, I'm inspired to get my Foredom out soon!
Chris :)
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

You see the most amazing things in stone, and have an amazing gift for coaxing them out, Kurt. I can't decide which side I like better; the soft sensation of the tree, or the chiseled look of the man.

Can't wait to see it finished. Too bad work keeps interfering with work on your masterpieces. :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

3d-mdr.gif
3d-mdr.gif (22.98 KiB) Viewed 512 times
Work is a 4 letter word
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

:P Yeah, its a pain, but on the other hand, enforces more patience in sanding, and hence a better finish in the end. :D

Will be playing tourguide, so its something I like too. Hard to choose a favorite activity. :twisted: