Oregon Sunstone

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Oregon Sunstone

Post by PinkDiamond »

The ISG recently did a field trip to the Plush mines in Oregon. I'm still upset that I'm tied here without a critter sitter and couldn't go - sniff :cry: -, but if you want to see what REAL sunstone looks like right out of the ground, check out this video and enjoy the slideshow of their mining adventures. THIS stuff is FABULOUS!!!!! :shock:

Video Tour of the ISG at Plush 2009
http://www.schoolofgemology.com/ISGatPlush2009.html
:D
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
PinkDiamond

Re: Oregon Sunstone

Post by PinkDiamond »

I am SO excited because even though I didn't get to go on the trip to the sunstone mines in Oregon with the ISG in June, I got a gift from them in the mail yesterday, so now I can show you what the Oregon rough looks like up close. Here's a shot of the 15.65ct rough from the Double Eagle mine in Plush Oregon. THIS is what andesine/labradorite/sunstone rough is SUPPOSED to look like!!

WOOHOO!!! Image
PinkDiamond

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

This is a fantastic new website the ISG has just launched, where you can find all the information you could ever want on Oregon Sunstone. Don't miss the information on all the fraudulent mines that some claim exist, because they're all BOGUS, and you can get into a lot of trouble claiming stones from other sources are natural and untreated because they are anything BUT that!

Be sure to check out all the award-winning cutters and their designs. These people are artists and master cutters, such as Marty Guptil, who came here to respond to your questions about his amazing faceted Contra Luz opal that I posted, and Dalan Hargrave (one of my favorites!) has some incredible carved specimens that you definitely don't want to miss; plus all the others featured who are also superior cutters who literally work magic with these stones. All I can say about them is a resounding WOW!!! :shock:

Many thanks to Robert James and the ISG for this wonderful site! Enjoy!! :wink:

8 October 2009

ISG launches website to bring the truth about Plush Sunstone.

New website to provide consumer support information and the latest updates!

The International School of Gemology is pleased to announce the launch of our consumer support website offering information and news regarding Plush Sunstone. This website offers consumer based information on the various aspects of the production of Plush Sunstone, and the first Sunstone Master Grading System to provide the industry with a benchmark grading system for the Plush Sunstone markets. We also offer a listing of some of the finest cutters and designers who specialize in authentic, natural Plush Sunstone.

This website also provides the latest updates on our research into the various fakes and imitations out on the market, particularly the Chinese andesine fiasco perpetrated by Andegem.com and others. There is a special section that provides the trade names under which this fake material is being sold, as well as a list of sellers who have been reported to sell the diffusion treated Chinese andesine without disclosure and as all natural. The purpose is to educate and inform consumers so that we can avoid a repeat of the fiasco of Jewelry Television and Direct Shopping Network selling of this material without disclosure.

This website has been produced by the International School of Gemology for the purpose of consumer awareness and education regarding Plush Sunstone. All content is property of the ISG who is solely responsible for the content. The Plush Sunstone miners contributed to this site by donating certain study specimens used to create the website. However the ISG is solely responsible for all gemological information and all comments made anywhere within the website.

To visit the site please use this link (please disregard any MailFilterGateway notice, this is a safe link from the ISG):

Visit PlushSunstone.com

Or visit: http://plushsunstone.com

Robert James FGA, GG
President, International School of Gemology

Now that I have these leads on cutters for my sunstone rough, all I have to do is save every penny I can to have it turned into something spectacular. Woohoo!!
PinkDiamond

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

jenador4 wrote:Hi PinkDiamond

Just watched the video you posted, wow, I want to go to Oregon and mine the Oregon Sunstone!!!! It took me right back to our mining days in Central Queensland mining sapphires. It looked like the mining techniques were pretty much the same. Thank you for sharing.
PinkDiamond

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

This is extremely important for all interested in the andesine/labradorite debacle brought to light by the ISG last year, and confirmed in this report:

Interim Report; 14-Sep-2009
The Red Feldspar Project
George R. Rossman, California Institute of Technology

"...Is There a Mine in Tibet That Produces Natural Red Andesine?
The argon release experiment results were the same on all stones we tested from Inner Mongolia or Tibet (or those claimed to have come from the Congo). None of the stones from Tibet (that were obtained from either people who say their family owns the mine or from people who have visited the mine) showed the large amounts radiogenic argon that the yellow, rough Inner Mongolia stones showed...."

http://www.gia.edu/research-resources/n ... alyses.pdf

REMEMBER: there is NO evidence of any mines producing red and green andesine EXCEPT in Oregon in the U.S.! Don't be fooled, and whatever you do, do NOT sell any as natural and untreated UNLESS it is Oregon material. :?

*This post is also posted in the 'Don't Be Fooled By Imitations' thread. :wink:
PinkDiamond

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Here's a great article on the Sunstone mines in Oregon, with a submission from our own Marty in it. I thought it was great reading, and now that I've got stones from 2 of the mines, I'm on my way to collecting the whole set. :lol:

Sunstone Mining in Oregon
The amazing odyssey from the stark Oregon high desert to exquisite cases of jewelers across the globe
Alexandra Arch

http://www.1859oregonmagazine.com/1859- ... in-Oregon/
PinkDiamond

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

JimA wrote:Hi Pink,
If you want some just let me know as I go down to the mines every year. They are only 6 hours away, and I have known Don for a few years now. My daughter lives just on the other side of Lakeview, so we go sunstone hunting as a family trip every year in the "free" areas, and then we hit the Obsidian mines that are just 15 miles away ( also free!). The resident cutter there was my first mentor for faceting, and I think that he's going to live well past 100, and me. I have quite a bit on hand that I cut during the winters - WAY too cold on the high plains dessert to go out there now. May is the best time. So if you HAVE to have some... I don't think I have any green left - but the yellows, and reds I do.

PinkDiamond wrote:Way too cool that you know Don, Jim, and especially cool that you actually go there and dig as a family! What an awesome vacation that would be!! Mine are all the lighter colors, and I recently got some of the Double Eagle mine's champagne sunstones, and one or two of them has what they think is zinc schiller, and John & Debbie Aldrich said collectors are looking for the zinc schiller for their collections, and said they're hoping to try to have them tested this year to see if it really is zinc; but that's what they suspect it is as of now.

I've got faceted champagnes, and could trade you some of the ones I'm not planning to set in jewelry.

I don't have any green either, and only one piece of rough with some red in it, but it's not a very dark red. I sure would love to get my hands on some of the stuff with the teal in it; now that would be a prize to own! Have you seen those? They're outstanding! :D

JimA wrote:Yeah I have - and they are hard to get a hold of. But my favorite are the "bullseyes" They are red in the center with the green/teal around that that sit in the yellow. I want to get my hands on one to see if I can get a tri-colored cut from one. I have a bunch of the coppered plate schiller that is rare. IM me your mailing addy.
Don is more jolly then he looks in his pictures, and I asked him once if he was Santa Clause because he looks like a natural, he told me he was the brother Anti-Claus - laughing at me the whole time. Him, his wife, and his daughter are all very nice people. If you just want the yellows - you can pick them up all over the dessert floor there, but if you want the reds, and greens they are at the Dirt Devil.

PinkDiamond wrote:Well, I guess Anti-Claus is better than subordinate clause. And unless they're in the vacuum, I think you mean Dust Devil. :mrgreen:

If you ever get one with teal in it and cut it, I definitely want to see that puppy. A tri-color would be out of this world!! :!:

gemstoneguru wrote:hi.......
Oregon sunstone also known as heliolite, is a transparent feldspar with colors ranging from water clear through pale yellow, soft pink, and blood red to (extremely rare) deep blue and green. The color appears to vary systematically with small amounts of copper and may depend on both the amount and the size of individual copper particles present in the stone.It's so beautiful.

SwordfishMining wrote:Hiya all. I made that trip and it was fairly informative. Oregon was wanting an itinerary and what where so we pretty much just drove to there to not have to pay touring fees or some such. We just talked a lot at the mines and then over a fine lunch (high points to DD for meals) I cut out after lunch at the Dust Devil due to weather. The processor belt jammed also and everyone had to get it running before the loads could go, which they did. The entire day was signed up for by 1. Definitely go there for the reds from what we were seeing and before that we saw the material Double Eagle was getting. Greens more than reds. He has a bit smaller operation so far, but nice and clean, with the shop in town. I was actually drawn there having dug at the Dust Devil a few times and Teddy Ridge while it was running and the clubs claims and Hi Desert Rock shops claims and the Government area, I am a roamer. I went over to our clubs claims during the rain, about an hour off an on, got a pocket full of yellow float and then went over to Hart Mtn to find some porcelain Jasper. Got maybe a few ounces in the first few hundred feet up the hill and down from the quarry too. Never enough.

crazy8s wrote:I went to a small gem and mineral show today and couldn't resist buying a sunstone. Asked the vendor where it was from, after the shocked look on his face he said Plush. :lol: I'll get a shot of it and my other treasures in a day or 2. :D

Lydia wrote:
crazy8s wrote:I went to a small gem and mineral show today and couldn't resist buying a sunstone.

Oh my, I wish. I've been to every show in the area and each one seems to be identical to the next. Nothing new, nothing interesting.

PinkDiamond wrote:The guys from Dust Devil are members at the ISG, and did some deals, one of which I got in on, and I got a lovely parcel of faceted champagne sunstones a few years ago. You can contact them directly and negotiate your own deal, or ask them to let you know next time they do a large one so the prices are cheaper. I have one or two pieces of rough, too, but I can't remember if it's from that mine or one of the others the ISG goes to when they make that trip. They just did one last month, and talked about the fine meals they serve there, and of course everyone always comes back smiling. Must be a fun though grueling trip since amenities are something like 100 miles away.

PinkDiamond wrote:Correction: its the Double Eagle mine that's with the ISG, and where I got the champagne sunstones from. I think I'm having a blonde week. :oops:

gingerkid wrote:
PinkDiamond wrote:Correction: its the Double Eagle mine that's with the ISG, and where I got the champagne sunstones from. I think I'm having a blonde week. :oops:

:lol: I kinda like "Dust Devil" mine better, but made me think of vacuum cleaners, pink. :P

Where's the beef, er pretties, 8s? :mrgreen:

crazy8s wrote:Here's one, I hope. :lol:

8sORsunstone1.JPG

8sORsunstone2.JPG

The others will be in the collection thread. The stone is 2.32cts.

gingerkid wrote::shock: :mrgreen: Gorgeous! Very nice color and cut!! Are you planning on having it made into a piece of jewelry, 8s?

crazy8s wrote:Not any time soon, I was suprized to see them at the little show I went to. :D

PinkDiamond wrote:
gingerkid wrote: :lol: I kinda like "Dust Devil" mine better, but made me think of vacuum cleaners, pink. :P

We went through that on page 1. :lol:

JimA wrote: Don is more jolly then he looks in his pictures, and I asked him once if he was Santa Clause because he looks like a natural, he told me he was the brother Anti-Claus - laughing at me the whole time. Him, his wife, and his daughter are all very nice people. If you just want the yellows - you can pick them up all over the dessert floor there, but if you want the reds, and greens they are at the Dirt Devil.

PinkDiamond wrote:Well, I guess Anti-Claus is better than subordinate clause. And unless they're in the vacuum, I think you mean Dust Devil. :mrgreen:

I would imagine people get their name confused with the vacuums a lot. :lol:

That's a pretty one 8's. Can you see any copper schiller in it? :D

crazy8s wrote:No schiller, but some dots of copper, I think. :lol:

The Oregon Sunstone thread is now moved. :D
PinkDiamond

Rockranger

Post by Rockranger »

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Oooohhhh! Me likey that round one with the schiller. :mrgreen:
PinkDiamond

rocks2dust

Post by rocks2dust »

I love Oregon's sunstone labradorites (it is my state's official gem, after all). Anyone going to dig opals at Virgin Valley should take a bit of extra time and hit the nearby sunstone area north of Plush, Oregon. Beautiful open country away from "civilization" and easy to collect both in the free public areas and at the pay dig claims with the more colorful stones...
(Hart Mt. overlooks the Warner Valley where the sunstones are found)

(the Rabbit Hills, just south of the sunstone area were once islands in a vast lake)

(kiosk sunshades and toilet at the public dig area)

(the big Dust Devil operation)

(for most visitors to the free public area, it is just a matter of picking sparklies off the ground)
r2d

surplus odds and ends that I have on ebid.net
· Xtra gemstones
· Xcess fossils, minerals and rough
· Everything else