WIP Biggs FA PolkaDot and Dendrite Opal

Post all non-opal carvings and creations here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

KKHK

WIP Biggs FA PolkaDot and Dendrite Opal

Post by KKHK »

Its been a while since I updated anything here, but now seems to have the rush going on this month.

First up a Valentine contest project for RTH, and the only one finished thus far : What seems to be Turkic Dendrite material

The FA is ongoing for a while now, and slowly coming together

While I found a bridge between the coloured areas on top and bottom, there is still a huge gap and I'm not sure if the quality of colour that might be underneath is worth the effort. So I decided to use the hole as a sort of plug to attach something else to cover it and the noncoloured areas.
Tried for contrast the cutoffs from the Turkic Dendrite, but broke 3 attempts, so I finally got an old Biggs breakaway from a few years ago in my hands and that worked. I like the colour as it blends the subject nearly too well into the background.

The use of Biggs was not too out of the blue, as at the same day a visiting Nephew choose a Biggs for a project of his own design based on an arrow.

Last but not least, my project for a FB Valentine Challenge. PolkaDot Agate (used that as a cab some months ago in another contest)
Lets call it Cosmic birth of Love to get the relevance to Valentine Day. :) :) :)

That one gives me a huge headache. Normally, I only got problems to get shapes into pictures, but this time the colour and material blends so well that it is hard to make out the shapes even at hand. One has to really get close up to see whats going on, even though some cuts are nearly 5mm deep. Will have to figure that one out before the month is out.

Thanks for looking, Kurt
PinkDiamond

Re: WIP Biggs FA PolkaDot and Dendrite Opal

Post by PinkDiamond »

I'm loving the heart the most, Kurt. That could be because it's Valentine's Day tomorrow though, but I really like it. :lol:

That was pretty ingenious to fill the void in the FA that way, and I love what your nephew did with the Biggs. I would never have thought of that but it lends itself well to the piece. It's just too bad that the polka dot agate doesn't allow the image to be visible, but that material looks like it would be hard to carve around all the dots and make them pertinent to the image anyway, so I'm sorry to say that's not my favorite material for a carving like that, but I hope you'll show us the final result. Best of luck in the FB challenge. ;)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
kjsspot

Re: WIP Biggs FA PolkaDot and Dendrite Opal

Post by kjsspot »

Ya, I have a few that I stopped trying with as there wasn't enough contrast to show well. That FA though, thar be gold in dem hills! Nice.
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt