Mirror Light Split Pattern + Value/Name ..etc

Get an expert to answer all your Opal and Gemstone questions.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

KKHK

Post by KKHK »

NOTE: Voltaires pictures are missing as none of my programs want to accept them!

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:39 am
Hi there opal freaks
In this thread I want to show you my very special gem I've been talking about - this gem have truly unique mix of 'rare' patterns - 1 of my Supreme Opals :lol:
Note this one doesn't have 'psychodelic' effect with prism mirror like the Jerichozil and Toby opal.

Ok enough talk :lol:
This is link to the VIDEO >
(1st half - top of the stone with 'mirror split' and second with back of the stone with crazy 'leopard spot')

Enjoy

https://vimeo.com/54201360

***questions are :
- what should be the official name for this pattern :idea: :?:
- value of this unique stone ( stone weigh = 2.5ct ) :idea: :?: :D

- almost perfect 'mirror split' :!: (dome side)

and crazy 'leopard spot' :shock: :!: (bottom side)
Last edited by KKHK on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KKHK

Re: Mirror Light Split Pattern + Value/Name ..etc

Post by KKHK »

Unread postby Gecko109 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:16 am
Although that is a very pretty welo, I see nothing out of the ordinary or special about it. I do like the flagstone blocky color patches on the back though.....those are sweet!

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:48 am
haha no ordinary to have - reflecting light effect + light split with perfect mirror effect ( dots of color) - yes gecko this is common for sure :lol: :lol:
I've seen only one more opal with this pattern - how many honeycombs you've seen or even Chinese writing - 10 , 100 , 1000 ... ?
maybe I'm still amateur but I'm pattern enthusiast and seen 1000 of opals , cut hundreds and still only saw 1 !

btw. Gecko please show me what is ordinary/special Welo pattern ? and note I don't talk about huge super cab ..etc - i'm talking only about the pattern !
- for me only rare is fern/plume and this reflecting light effect but only when mirror split or psychodelic (also broad flash prism and harlequin :lol:)
.. plus there are some unique combinations of patterns but still most are quite common.
Edit> I can only add to my list of rare patterns couple new names from the new pattern chart - this are rare for me since don't really know how they looks like and never seen anyone who use this names : neon cascade , sails pattern , northern lights pattern , floral eyes pattern and flagstaff ??? (again from the chart is hard to recognize most of the 'new' patterns)

Unread postby Gecko109 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:44 am
This would be a rare pattern.

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:48 am
why ?
broad flash with straws - I can agree that straws are cool because they are crossed - that's it !
I'm not saying that this stone is not beautiful
you should agree :lol: >
http://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/nr ... tem-334862

Btw. Good luck Gecko !

Unread postby Gecko109 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:16 am
Although that is a very pretty welo, I see nothing out of the ordinary or special about it. I do like the flagstone blocky color patches on the back though.....those are sweet!

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:48 am
haha no ordinary to have - reflecting light effect + light split with perfect mirror effect ( dots of color) - yes gecko this is common for sure :lol: :lol:
I've seen only one more opal with this pattern - how many honeycombs you've seen or even Chinese writing - 10 , 100 , 1000 ... ?
maybe I'm still amateur but I'm pattern enthusiast and seen 1000 of opals , cut hundreds and still only saw 1 !

btw. Gecko please show me what is ordinary/special Welo pattern ? and note I don't talk about huge super cab ..etc - i'm talking only about the pattern !
- for me only rare is fern/plume and this reflecting light effect but only when mirror split or psychodelic (also broad flash prism and harlequin :lol:)
.. plus there are some unique combinations of patterns but still most are quite common.
Edit> I can only add to my list of rare patterns couple new names from the new pattern chart - this are rare for me since don't really know how they looks like and never seen anyone who use this names : neon cascade , sails pattern , northern lights pattern , floral eyes pattern and flagstaff ??? (again from the chart is hard to recognize most of the 'new' patterns)

Unread postby Gecko109 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:44 am
This would be a rare pattern.

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:48 am
why ?
broad flash with straws - I can agree that straws are cool because they are crossed - that's it !
I'm not saying that this stone is not beautiful
you should agree :lol: >
http://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/nr ... tem-334862

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:07 am
Yes Gecko I agree about crossed straws from the start - but straws are common so this is more possible to see some other opals with straws crossing similar way - still each will be unique.
And also about rare pattern is not how shocking/flashy it is but how rare and odd - this effect will only appear when there is reflecting light effect but if the stone is cut correctly - if not the dots will not have mirror.

And yes Leopard spot is also quite rare but there are some - and of course it's more adorable but I did not ask which pattern look better because the answer is simple :)

Thanks again and hope you know what i mean
Greets

Unread postby Gecko109 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:22 am
As to value....and you asked, so i'll give you my opinion......I would pay no more than $25 for that opal, and even at that price I would pass.

I think one of the problems you may be facing is that just like snowflakes, EVERY opal is "unique". But that does not justify looking at a given opal and claiming it to be a rare pattern type because of one obscure characteristic. If this were the case, then every single opal I own has a "rare pattern" to it. I think to qualify as a truly rare pattern, a stone must display some effect which is both extremely unusual as well as visually stunning. I dont think that 4 dots of color in the cab's "corners" at a certain lighting angle qualifies. That is simply a singular feature of that particular opal. I have a welo that displays ribbon pattern in floro light and intense laser dot pinfire in sunlight. Yet that is just a characteristic of THAT stone, and not some type of rare pattern.

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:57 am
Sorry Gecko but I don't really care about your value opinion - no offense though - it's just not sure you know enough to tell me what should be the price
although of course you can say your opinion but I wish to hear opinion from some experts

btw .check this and scroll down - can you see 5th opal photo ?
http://nhminsci.blogspot.com/2012/07/lo ... ce=message

good bye

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:11 am
are you say that - if you have 2 honey combs and 1 is better (can't be the same) then you can't compare them !?> :lol:
I'm not sure what you try to proof - I have showed you that so you can understand something - and see this is same type of pattern - or maybe i'm wrong ?
My opal is better because it's crystal not white hydrophane and have Hexagonal Webbing - which 'name' is leopard spot - this is not Hcomb or Hexagon HC.
So I think yes my opal is even more unique 8)

Unread postby Gecko109 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:25 am

OpalSupreme wrote:
are you say that - if you have 2 honey combs and 1 is better (can't be the same) then you can't compare them !?> :lol:
I'm not sure what you try to proof - I have showed you that so you can understand something - and see this is same type of pattern - or maybe i'm wrong ?
My opal is better because it's crystal not white hydrophane and have Hexagonal Webbing - which 'name' is leopard spot - this is not Hcomb or Hexagon HC.
So I think yes my opal is even more unique 8)

The opal from the link produces laser pinfire.....which to me at least is always more impressive than the "come and go" ghost colors that ordinary welo shows. Either way, it was you who asked for opinions on that opal. I gave my honest opinion and approx valuation......remember, YOU asked for these.....and then you got upset when I gave them.

Im also very interested to see the opinions of others on your opal. I just hope the opinions are honest and not simply "fluff" that tries to make everything rose petals and puppy dog tails!
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

Unread postby Rockranger » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:37 am
OS, Can't say I have ever seen a 4 corner split. That was from how you cut the stone? or it was it allways displaying this even in rough form? Neat!

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:40 am
Gecko - again i didn't get upset and I don't mind
Thing is I'm asking the opinion the experts ..
also I don't show my opals to show of or hear : this is beautiful ..etc
and from your answers there is no 1 valuable info which could help
I told you the answers and also proofed to you that I'm right because you didn't even know about existing this type of pattern - but for you this is not rare :lol:
I don't know what you mean laser pinfire - did you seen this opal on video ?

Btw. if you wish to argue please PM me because i didn't start this thread to argue with you and explain you the basics

Unread postby Gecko109 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:50 am

OpalSupreme wrote:
Gecko - again i didn't get upset and I don't mind
Thing is I'm asking the opinion the experts ..
also I don't show my opals to show of or hear : this is beautiful ..etc
and from your answers there is no 1 valuable info which could help
I told you the answers and also proofed to you that I'm right because you didn't even know about existing this type of pattern - but for you this is not rare :lol:
I don't know what you mean laser pinfire - did you seen this opal on video ?

Btw. if you wish to argue please PM me because i didn't start this thread to argue with you and explain you the basics

This is how you began the thread:

"In this thread I want to show you my very special gem I've been talking about - this gem have truly unique mix of 'rare' patterns - 1 of my Supreme Opals"

And you have it listed in your video as a "Supreme Gem".

But you are not showing off, right? :lol:

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:00 am

Rockranger wrote:
OS, Can't say I have ever seen a 4 corner split. That was from how you cut the stone? or it was it allways displayig this even in rough form? Neat!
Gecko I have the same zig zag pattern in a welo I cut in the flat bottom, the top dome display's wave of colors with a break inbetween from side to side and you also a ribbon pattern, I,m not sure I need to check but it may be this northern lite disply. Give me some time to finish the polish and I can show you later on.

No unfortunately I didn't cut this one - really wish to be lucky enough to cut it myself.
but to answer your question - I don't think you will see the dots on rough
Note in this opal is 'webbing' so in rough you will probably see the webbing and also if you will cut this opal different way or change the dome the color spots will not be 'perfect' - so that is why this type of pattern is unique/rare because depends on too many factors - if you know what I mean
I bought this one because I knew it's special and really want it to have this pattern in my collection.
I don't like to buy stones because for me there is no better feeling then discover nice pattern by myself - no money can buy this feeling :)
and I love my opals 10x more then ones I bought.
Also I have finished myself other opal with effect of reflecting light source but there is no mirror split like that - the dots are random and I didn't knew I have this pattern until I didn't preformed/rub the cab.

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:08 am
Gecko you just don't get it.
Yes I want to show you - to share and ask.
Please think how many opals i have show here on the forum ?? 3 maybe 4
You can say what ever you want but you don't know me and nothing is true what you say so you can play your funny game but this doesn't make any impression on me ..
and still don't know the reason of your statements - you really want to proof i'm wrong or what ?
Also I have told you that if you want continue with this stupid conversation then PM me.

Unread postby PinkDiamond » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:29 am
As I mentioned to OpalS privately, I don't go for patterns in particular, so the idea of this mirror thing is lost on me when I see just 4 spots of color along the perimeter of the stone, so for me, I would want to use the other side of the stone as the top for display, but I do understand that he's an avid pattern collector, and likes the webbing too, so for him the opal would certainly be worth more than it would be to me or you, gecko. I'm absolutely enamored with the one below it at that link, but that one does nothing for me, so in this case, it's not just beauty in the eye of the beholder; it's a unique pattern you don't see everyday for OpalS.

I call him the pattern boss because he's the only one I know who's so interested in patterns and their names, and bases his purchases on them. :mrgreen:

Unread postby Gecko109 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:51 am
If a collector comes into a public forum asking for a valuation opinion of a particular opal, then im going to give my opinion on its valuation. Im not going to sugarcoat anything, just give my honest opinion.

There is of course a flipside to this. If you post pics and vids of an opal, along with a request for an opinion of value.....then please do not be upset when that opinion differs from yours.

In my opinion (and I buy quite a bit of nice opal) your welo is at most a $10/ct stone. And just like you OpalSupreme, I too look at thousands upon thousands of opals for sale....on a weekly basis! Yes, I literally look through THOUSANDS of both active and closed listings of loose opals each week....no lie. I do this primarily to get a good feel for actual worth in order to help me with negotiations for stones im interested in adding to my collection.

Im very sorry that you feel my $25 valuation has missed the mark of your expectations, but im very curious to know how much YOU think this particular opal is worth.

My opinion and valuation had absolutely no ill intentions meant. I was simply being honest, and that is all.

On the topic of "expert opinions", thats a very sticky subject! In the realm of this forum, I am most certainly NOT an opal expert by anyone's definition! However, I do feel that the moment I set foot in probably 95% or more of any given jewelry retail store, I am by far and away the opal expert in that building. Im positive that I know more about opal after my intense research on the subject over the past 6 months than most regular GIA certified gemologists. This isnt saying very much as the availability of high end opal in jewelry retailers in this country is almost non-existent.

Anyway, if I have hurt your feelings somehow (and it seems that I have by your reaction) then im sorry. But you asked for an opinion, and I gave you an honest one.

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:53 am
Oh Pink thanks for your support and really no need to defend me :lol:
but thanks for explaining some issue.

I don't say this pattern is amazing eye candy like some other flashy patterns but it's truly 'rare' - in fact maybe it's not but it's hard to spot it and people didn't seen it and don't know this type of pattern even exist ? .. so now you know :lol:

I know i've seen only this 2 opals so for me this classified as a 'rare' but that is why i wanted to hear from the experts.

greeting to all opalholiks :lol:

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:04 pm
Again Gecko I don't get upset because you have said your opinion - because this really doesn't matter to me :)
but I think if you express you opinion you should give some arguments - and how did you menage to get the value of 25$ - because ...?
what factors did you take under this funny valuation ??
Funny because when you have talk about your chinese writing you have mentioned a lot of things like - this is rare because .. or this should have high value because ..etc
And you didn't gave me any explanation to your valuation of my opal - so you can even say that for you this opal is worth 1$ - who cares ?
Btw. if you will find opal like that for 25 or even 50$ buy it and I'll give you 2x more - OK ? :lol:

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:14 pm
just want to clear 1 more thing
- yea I was upset on you but only because in my opinion this conversation was pointless and there was no valuable info form your site.
Really i don't have any problems and just wish to use the forum properly - which doesn't mean you can't say your opinion because anybody can
it's just the topic is not - do you like this pattern ? (I can love it you can 'hate it' ,,and this is normal) and now this topic have change to : who likes it or not
so maybe you see my point.

that's it from me - sorry for posting this thread because I feel bad right now.
I need to go sleep because it's 5am here :!:
... so have a great day or good night :D

OpalS

Unread postby Gecko109 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:15 pm
Your opal has that "mirror effect" at just 1 single lighting angle. As you rotate the stone, the color dots do not follow the rotation, the "mirror effect" is lost at any angle other than the very beginning angle of your video. Are you trying to tell us that because you have an opal that displays 4 color dots at a single angle that this makes the opal rare? Are you serious, or just messing with me?

By this logic, EVERY OPAL IN THE WORLD is then a rare or unique pattern. Of course we know this is not true.....while each opal is unique, because no 2 opals are identical, that does not qualify evry single opla on earth to be some rare pattern type, does it?

If your stone had that "mirror effect" while it was rotating, then I suppose that would be something special. But the fact is that as soon as you rotate this stone, the "mirror effect" is gone and the opal looks just like any other of the thousands of opals I have seen sell for under $10/ct.

Your premise of "show me another one like it" is fundamentally flawed simply because there is not another one like it.....its an opal, therefore it has no identical twin.

You have an opal that shows 4 dots of color at ONE SPECIFIC ANGLE.....thats nothing special, honestly.

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:36 pm
omg - did you see the other one on the video ??
do you understand something like symmetry ??
if so note that my opal is oval not round so how in the world you could have the dots running symmetrically - again your arguments are stupid because you don't even understand how/why this pattern looks and 'behaves' this way.
Really you should learn a lot more about opals if you wish to argue because your reasons are pointless every time.
and stop talking again and again about each opal is unique - is that only 1 fact about opals you know ? believe me we all know that :lol: (again pointless)
so maybe you don't see that but I don't care about your arguments because this mean nothing - can you get it ?

- your type of argument - your chinese writing is worth 50$ because the writing doesn't say Gecko - or because it's looks Arabic not chinese :lol: :lol:
..or wait I have 1 more - it's worth only 50$ because the writing is visible only on some angle and change/disappear with other angle -- ARE YOU serious !?

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:48 pm
1 more thing - your only 'weapon' is to try find some misunderstandings and you try to use it to .. hmm that is the point what for ? - you don't proof nothing :
'..Your premise of "show me another one like it" is fundamentally flawed simply because there is not another one like it.....its an opal, therefore it has no identical twin..." -- omg again do you think this is something worth even saying - yes you right = each opal is unique - are you feel better now !?
this type of arguments are childish to me , doesn't proof anything.

Unread postby PinkDiamond » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:48 pm
We seem to have a failure to communicate here, and that happens, but let's try to keep the dispute about the opal, and not about the opinions given since each is entitled to their own, and like opals, there are no two individuals exactly alike, so we must leave room for differing opinions about such things as to their beauty, rarity, and value, since one man's meat is another man's poison. I rest my case. ;)
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

Unread postby dienn » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:52 pm
The value of an opal is whatever price an individual is prepared to buy or sell it for. In this instance, I must agree the wow factor in this particular stone in not apparent.
Gecko has offered his opinion that he don't see any appeal in this stone, and would not spend $25 on it. OpalS may have spent alot more on it because he places more value on it.
Personally (by all means not an expert), I don't think it is rare occurance and is in the way it was cut -eg like star saphires. Often Welos when cut with a high dome and and flat base, and when viewed under a single point light source eg outdoors in the sun - will display this property. I just took a tray outside to have a look -although none of mine has 4 dots, I certainly have a few stones that displays 6 or more dots. When viewed under multiple light sources, these shows many more dots - like a disco ball. Under fluorescent tubes - they display short bars of colour. Some seller will use this tactic of having 3 or even 4 light sources to make their opals look more appealing.

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:01 pm
hi dienn and thanks for your info.
Yes I understand what is opal value - and there is no way to say exact value of the opal
also I have said more then 2 times that i don't mind opinion - he can say this is 1$ for him
and i know this pattern doesn't looks shocking but if this perfect split it's rare so there should be this factor added to the value
- since patterns are not only about the fire shocking factor :)
I have posted this because maybe this is not rare at all and wanted to see if i'm right
so if there is more opals like that please show me - if not then this is rare - and this was only 1 thing i wanted to check.
of course I wonder about the name for this pattern.

and yes i have other opals with reflecting light source but no other works this way - more random like you said (I know 2 lamps make 2x more dots ..etc)
but in the sunlight this might looks different.
plus I said before that this pattern depends more on how you cut/finish the stone - and this is the reason why the pattern is rare/unique - because you might cut 100 opals with reflecting light pattern but no one will have perfect mirror split if not cut correctly.

Once more this might be not super shocking/eye candy pattern but what mean 'rare' then ?
I think this is 1 of the most unique effect since there are only 2 opals like that and I don't see anybody who seen this pattern before :!:
- so you are telling me that most rare effect is worth 25$ - sorry but this is crazy.
Something is rare not because of beauty !
do you think people spend millions on paintings because they like it - no because this was painted by some famous artist and it's only 1 painting like this = rare
and this is very simple human behavior - we works this way - if i will give you for free ugly painting but this was made by Picasso you will love it anyway ..
and if this pattern will be official most rare pattern/effect then all of you will love it and adore it :lol:
- but this was no reason to show it - reason was to know it understand it and share with the info/knowledge since this is the forum about opals :idea: :?:

here is other opal with the effect of reflecting the light source - this is pear shape so the lights are moving totally different way (1 light source)

https://vimeo.com/54215255

Unread postby Voltaire » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:58 am
I believe you have a flagstone pattern which is tightly packed.
The high (or steep) dome makes the colour flash "roll" across the face, since light is not reflecting as evenly as a lower cut dome. Just my take on it.

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:23 am
Cool :) thanks Voltaire.
the flagstone pattern looks like this > http://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/et ... tem-320984
but the webbing is less visible because is very thin and squeezed also white semi-transparent in crystal opal.
so this ain't official name and I didn't invented :) but I like it and I've use it because there is no other name !
Yes I've cut many shapes and different domes and I have understanding of how the fire works - but thanks.
In this dome to get 4 dots on the 'corners' (i know there is no corners :) ) you simply need to put your light source from above (and the light split to 4 dots)
I'm moving the opals in my hand and the light is coming from some angle that is why I've set the opal to this angle.
so when you have this opal flat with light source directly above you can turn the opal around horizontally and the dots will move a bit but still in the 'corners'.
and after changing angle all the dots change and roll spontaneously flashing with colors and because of the *leopard webbing (inside and back) the colors can be separated between the 'cells' - without the cells this might roll more smooth but maybe without them there will be no 'mirror split' effect ?
In this white opal with 4 dots there is the same type of light split - and I didn't seen the video but when you put the light from the side there will be no 4 dots on the top :) this is obvious !?
so how many opals have this type of effect ?
..some but not many and I believe that there is more but since almost nobody know about this they simply can miss that.
in my opinion Welo will surprise us with some new patterns and effects couple more times
- and there is a lot to discover but we need to lOOk make research and analyze the patterns ..etc
and of course share with the info,thoughts and observations :)

Thanks
OpalS

Unread postby Voltaire » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:49 pm
OS,

Oh-my-gosh, you sure ain't short on words! LOL

I think the dome is the major reason that you see the effect you describe. That's what I was trying to say.
I also think more opals could show this effect if cut to do so. Personally I prefer low to medium domed welos.
I think they perform better then. Just my opinion, though. :)

Example of flagstone below, which I think is quite similar to what you have: (could be all wrong, though)
http://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/in ... tem-335752

By the way, look at the two opals on the top of the picture, do those look similar?

Unread postby Gecko109 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:35 pm
A definitive pattern is something that is part of the actual stone, not something that is manipulated after cutting. If I carved an opal horse, would it be called a "rare horse pattern"? Of course not!

As others have said, the "effect" you are seeing and trying to describe is not a pattern, but rather a result of a specific cut/polish. You cannot polish an ordinary opal into a harlequin, chinese writing, or flagstone pattern. But you can polish an opal so that it seperates light in a certain way such as the case with yours OpalS.

Have enough "experts" expressed here that your opal is nothing out of the ordinary yet, or will you simply discredit them as you have done to me and my opinion? :D

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:24 pm

Gecko109 wrote:
A definitive pattern is something that is part of the actual stone, not something that is manipulated after cutting. If I carved an opal horse, would it be called a "rare horse pattern"? Of course not!

As others have said, the "effect" you are seeing and trying to describe is not a pattern, but rather a result of a specific cut/polish. You cannot polish an ordinary opal into a harlequin, chinese writing, or flagstone pattern. But you can polish an opal so that it seperates light in a certain way such as the case with yours OpalS.

Have enough "experts" expressed here that your opal is nothing out of the ordinary yet, or will you simply discredit them as you have done to me and my opinion? :D

gecko if you will cut 500-1000 stones maybe I will talk to you - but for now you have proof to me that your opal and pattern knowledge is really weak
and you have no idea what you are talking - I will not explain to you why many patterns depends on cutting the opal because this is only waste of time.

Unread postby Voltaire » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:36 pm
OS,

In what way is that one different? Look at the bottom part in the movie - I think I'd call that a flagstone pattern.

The picture I shared is actually of welo material.

The two on the top of the pic have a tightly spaced honeycomb, just not such a steep dome as yours.
They have this rolling kinda flash just like your opal does, but you probably have an even steeper dome making the effects even more pronounced. I thought I'd show something similar (effect wise) with a lower dome for comparison.

I hope that makes sense. :)

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:51 am
no I said this to your answer >
'...A definitive pattern is something that is part of the actual stone, not something that is manipulated after cutting....

So how many stones you have cut and examine the fire/pattern ??? 0

but you can't even understand this and keep chat sh't.
so again I have proof to you every time that you are wrong and not even know what is the topic about ..etc

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:56 am

Voltaire wrote:
OS,

In what way is that one different? Look at the bottom part in the movie - I think I'd call that a flagstone pattern.

The picture I shared is actually of welo material.

The two on the top of the pic have a tightly spaced honeycomb, just not such a steep dome as yours.
They have this rolling kinda flash just like your opal does, but you probably have an even steeper dome making the effects even more pronounced. I thought I'd show something similar (effect wise) with a lower dome for comparison.

I hope that makes sense. :)

I have link you with the Leopard spot pattern - and this looks like that - so not sure what you mean because the flagstone pattern is something different.

And about your pair - OK i know what you mean - but we talk about light split to 4 dots - not random flashes - so this is nothing like that .
I'll try to make other video with the dots and flashes ..

Greets

Unread postby Gecko109 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:11 am

OpalSupreme wrote:
no I said this to your answer >
'...A definitive pattern is something that is part of the actual stone, not something that is manipulated after cutting....

So how many stones you have cut and examine the fire/pattern ??? 0

but you can't even understand this and keep chat sh't.
so again I have proof to you every time that you are wrong or not even know what is the topic about ..etc

This makes no sense at all. Im not quite sure what point you are trying to make here. Are you trying to imply that definitive, accepted patterns can somehow be cut and polished into stones that otherwise do not have a definitive pattern to begin with?

Secondly, I have never built a residential house, nor an office building complex.....yet I can certainly distinguish between them, how about you? Does one need to actually cut and polish opal to understand the fundamentals of opal patterns? Apparently not because you do cut and polish yet you are seriously delusional about what constitutes "pattern". And just exactly who are you to challenge my knowledge of opals anyway? It seems that with every post, you try to discredit me as someone who doesnt know anything about opals. Please tell me what university you graduated from with an opal degree? :lol: :lol: :lol:

If anyone is fully demonstrating their ignorance of the subject, it is you my friend. The video of the opal you posted has a FLAGSTONE pattern on the back. I do not understand why you wish to call it some other term such as leopard, but even the "leopard" pattern you linked earlier has spots within that flagstone patchwork, and clearly yours does not. Yours is ordinary, but beautiful flagstone pattern.....period.

Im beginning to think you are either a lunatic, or are desperately trying to make something out of nothing. The opal you posted is a nothing.....sorry but true. Yet you very much want it to be something for some odd reason. Heres a tip for you.....if you want a special opal, then buy a special opal. :idea: Dont buy an ordinary opal and try to claim its somehow special. It only cheapens the hobby.

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:43 am
simple answer - if you cut stone flat the pattern is different ..and if high dome the pattern is different but to know that you have to cut the opal because if you only see finished stone you never see how the pattern changed .

and I don't challenge your knowledge ..you are doing this yourself because each of your answers or thought was wrong.
I don't care what you think because I have this stone here and see you don't so I know what I'm saying - i don't have any reason to lie.;
Again and again i ask you and tell you - main question is not> is that beautiful but is that something rare - and nobody have seen this type of effect so hmmm .. and in the link I have show you with other opal with 4 dots description is > This very unusual opal from Wollo (4.43 ct) displays a perfect diffraction pattern.
- so wait - nobody have seen this type of opal except this from the link which says - very unusual ...
so I ask here the experts but have almost only the 'answers' from the Top pattern expert Gecko that he think something ... and can't stop talking crap even if I said I don't ask you and don't care about your opinion ...

I'm not sure what is your problem and why you try to proof anything - from your post I can only see that you not helping to anyone , you don't add to this forum any good support , you only look for word mistake or misinterpretation even if you have misunderstand something , you don't have nothing valuable to say , your info doesn't help to nobody , you have litter my thread with all this bullsh't and this forum is not for that !!!

I respect other people doesn't matter what they think and anybody can have different way of thinking but you are not doing nothing but attacking me or try to proof I'm wrong -- so keep trying...and if this is your life mission you are very poor man Gecko and really I feel sorry for you my 'Friend'

Good bye

Unread postby Gecko109 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:52 am
Im sorry, I was wrong. What OpalS has posted is a very rare (there are only 2 in the world, mind you) and exceptional Welo opal!

My calculation was incorrect.....initially I said the stone should have a value of around $25.....after careful consideration I have decided that its probably much closer to around $7,500.

How did I arrive at that price? It was easy.....there are only 2 opals like that in the world. A person would be very fortunate to be able to just see....let alone own something so magnificent!
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:34 am
Gecko again why you say anything ???
look man I don't say this opal must be very expensive or anything - I don't have to hear this type of crap which again doesn't proof nothing and it's very childish.
I think you have misinterpreted this from the beginning and that is your problem.
yes I asked about the value (but definitely not you) and only ask because was wonder - nothing more
Look I don't count money like you - in fact I don't care about the money at all - money mean nothing to me so there is big difference between us my 'Friend'
plus I can make profit from any of my opals you can't still I don't care about that and again I don't count how much money I have or I didn't even showed many of my opals - but you think I'm showing off like you do !!! NO again
and question about the value is something normal so what is really your problem. Look nobody takes seriously your answers so why you still doing that.
Is this help you somehow or makes you better ? believe me - NO
so you see you don't know nothing about me or my opals or even you don't know is there leopard or not but you keep telling me 'how it is' - and this is funny because you are simply wrong every time.
And also you can't even appreciate all the info and knowledge I have give you - because obviously you didn't knew this.

I hope you will learn something from that and if not then sorry can't help you.

Have a good Day (or night)

Unread postby Ethiopals83 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:36 am
Hey OS,

Is this what you mean by mirror reflection pattern...The light bulbs are reflected back in some wicked neon colors! Below is a link to the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... k-UcuFEWVY

The reflection only shows using certain light sources...

Unread postby Kane826 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:17 am
Wow, that's some argument we've got here, let me put my 3 cents into it
- yes, this type of opal is fairly rare, not because of the way it looks but because of it's internal structure, which basically is perfect or nearly perfect Photonic Crystal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photonic_crystal
Every opals structure is divided in certain places, where size of spheres/alingment etc. changes, thats how patches of fire are developed. This opal is what you could call too perfect, the structure is homogenous and it looks as pinpoints of colour moving across the surface, without other visible features.
Fortunately or not, opal is not priced by internal structures rarity but the way it looks and so I got a stone of this kind and I didn't have to pay too much, although I knew what I was buying so would have gone higher than I had to as it was a matter of scientific curiosity/collectors ambition on my part...
You can see my stone in a post on my blog http://opal-escence.com/welo-opal-depos ... teristics/ second picture from the bottom.
I don't want to take sides in this discussion as my opinion is divided along the line- is it rare, probably yes. Is it very valuable, probably not... after all opals are worth only what we are ready to pay for them and most votes on beauty.

Unread postby Kane826 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:28 am
I do see those mirror reflections, I think they have a bit different cause/structure (I don't even say I know at the moment, they just look different), I have at last one stone with broad flash where it is perfectly visible http://opal-escence.com/gallery/freeform-broad-flash/
Opal Gemstones Blog

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:53 am

Kane826 wrote:
Wow, that's some argument we've got here, let me put my 3 cents into it
- yes, this type of opal is fairly rare, not because of the way it looks but because of it's internal structure, which basically is perfect or nearly perfect Photonic Crystal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photonic_crystal
Every opals structure is divided in certain places, where size of spheres/alingment etc. changes, thats how patches of fire are developed. This opal is what you could call too perfect, the structure is homogenous and it looks as pinpoints of colour moving across the surface, without other visible features.
Fortunately or not, opal is not priced by internal structures rarity but the way it looks and so I got a stone of this kind and I didn't have to pay too much, although I knew what I was buying so would have gone higher than I had to as it was a matter of scientific curiosity/collectors ambition on my part...
You can see my stone in a post on my blog http://opal-escence.com/welo-opal-depos ... teristics/ second picture from the bottom.
I don't want to take sides in this discussion as my opinion is divided along the line- is it rare, probably yes. Is it very valuable, probably not... after all opals are worth only what we are ready to pay for them and most votes on beauty.

Hi Kane and thanks for this great explanation !!
I'm pattern collector and for me the pattern doesn't have to be eye candy to be awesome - I always try to understand how the fire works in the patterns and why some effect appear ..etc
This one for me is really special and of course you right about the value - but in my opinion if this will be common fact then pattern collectors/enthusiast will pay a lot to have it :)
but for me this is not really the case since don't make money from opals !

Greetings

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:00 am

Kane826 wrote:
Ahem, again we talk about two different phenomenas here...

Sure - the pattern looks different but in both is light source reflection - but the effect is different :)
so I wanted to explain what is the difference.
And from what I know there is no explanation even for prism pattern - and in my opinion there are some factors which makes the same mirror/reflecting effect different - and in mine there is this light split and here is the prism .

Unread postby Kane826 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:05 am
I can understand that, my stone, the one from the article I got here on OA if I'm not mistaken (it was a while ago). In fact I was in the middle of writing and I knew I'm going to mention that phenomenon and all of the sudden bam there it was :D I wasn't going to let it go, just prayed that the other guy who was bidding didn't know exactly what it was :twisted: and it worked, he went up only a bit and gave up (probably seen it as cheap stone for jewel he was making or something like that)

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:07 am
there is new video link > https://vimeo.com/50625725
note the light is directly above (see the normal light reflection in the center) - and every time you have the stone 'horizontal' the light split to 4 dots and you can turn it around and the dots still there .. and when the light is coming from the angle then the fire is rolling randomly and it's more flashy.
watch the movie till the end and you will see ... something :lol:

enjoy

Unread postby PlanetOpal » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:32 am
I sold something like that a while ago where all the lightbulb reflections were projected back on the face in differnt colors..I thought it was special trait too...although the buyers didnt..lol
I think from memory it went for about $60...less than $10 per carat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... VbAHFjQBsU

Unread postby Gecko109 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:14 pm
This one has a similar effect but without the split pattern. It is a 2ct opal and cost me 10 bucks. The ring setting was another $15, so im into this ring as it sits at about 25 bucks. Cant lose at that price!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... Pk8BFaiQhw

Unread postby OpalSupreme » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:15 pm
sure but none of them have 'perfect' 4 dots split effect :)

so it's like to compare 'perfect' honeycomb with stone where there is some combs on the edge of the stone and only visible when looking close - which is something common but nobody will agree that this is honeycomb from the video.
I said before that there is many stones with reflecting light pattern or effect.
I have 3 or 4 or maybe even 5 myself - but non of them is 'perfect' just this one !!!

Unread postby PlanetOpal » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:58 am
[quote="OpalSupreme"]sure but none of them have 'perfect' 4 dots split effect :)

I really think the "perfect 4 dots" is more about the symmetry of cut.
My hunch is if I had cut the welo in the vid posted earlier more in the standard cab shape it would have a very similar mirror like display.
Have a few pieces of crsytal welo and will try to reproduce this..watch this space :mrgreen:

'..ie where you have any kind of cell structure the light will reflect those cells and size?..'

i'm not sure I know what you mean :?: :oops: :P ...so i don't know if this is tha case - but in my opinion if there are 'cells' /webbing in opal then no matter if the fire 'reflect/mirror' light source or no the fire will fill the 'cells' but not reflect them (I mean maybe) ..
..also webbing structure it's very common in Welo and many times (also in crystal Welo) there are cells ... also some almost transparent so we don't see them on the surface like typical brownish or darker honeycomb :)
and many time the 'combs/cells' are not 'perfect' (in rough opal we can have cells only on 1 side) and depends on cutting we can and up with cells only on the side of cab ..or 'mutated comb' - which you probably saw many times.
the simplest example in fact is honeycomb vs bumblebee patterns - which are the same webbing/cells but cut 'horizontal' or through cells 'vertical' if this make sense.

but the reflecting/mirror effect is something different - I mean maybe this effect have something to do with cutting or maybe with the opal structure .. really don't know :D .. that is why this bother me :idea:
check the other topic (at the end) there is 'mini Chart for mirror effect' if you didn't seen it already >
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3892&p=57818#p57818

Greetings
OpalS
forget the wax and feathers and do a better job on the wings