Blue Diamonds

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

mick

Blue Diamonds

Post by mick »

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ce1_1447311607

40 what million how much what dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geeze, makes the real blue one The Queen has worth about a billion. The Hope diamond, I would say now 750 million, not 350.
m76steve

Re: Blue Diamonds

Post by m76steve »

Mick, I was soo upset when my final bid was upstaged at $34,000,000.00 + I included shipping! What a letdown, maybe next time at another auction-stevie... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: -I wish! Fun to dream- 8-)
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

For that price I'd have expected a bit more sparkle.
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

I think this is one of those cases where I would definitely prefer a fine Sri Lanka Ceylon cornflower blue sapphire over a diamond like that one.
Sorry Pink, I know you likes the diamonds!
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

he should add few more $$$ and buy the whole diamond mine :)

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Yes, it's about the rarity of finding one of the largest flawless vivid blue diamonds, but don't apologize to me because it doesn't look all that vivid in the video, and I wouldn't pay millions for it, and besides, I'm into pink. :P

But m76, I'm so sorry you were outbid! :lol:

I was going to start a thread for this the other day, but didn't get around to it so I might as well put it here. ;)

Demand for Blue Diamonds Is Up
Third quarter prices for blue diamonds were up 2 percent, with fancy vivid blue prices up 6 percent
Logan Sachon | November 10, 2015

"The Fancy Color Research Foundation (FCRF), the Tel Aviv, Israel–based nonprofit that works to promote transparency, fair trade, and ethical standards in the colored diamond industry, reports that demand for fancy blue diamonds is up—and that the upcoming auction of an exceptional blue diamond by Sotheby’s may have spurred the interest.

The FCRF tracks pricing data for yellow, pink, and blue fancy color diamonds in Hong Kong, New York, and Tel Aviv.

Compared to the second quarter of 2015, yellow diamond prices were down 2 percent, pink diamond prices remained unchanged, and blue diamond prices were up 2 percent. Vivid blues, the highest rating for fancy colored diamonds, saw prices go up 6 percent over the previous quarter.

Year over year, blue diamonds were up 3 to 4 percent, with 5 ct. vivid blue diamonds up 11 percent, the highest single-category year-over-year price.

“Demand for blue diamonds may have been magnified by the excitement being generated by the upcoming Sotheby’s auction headlined by the Blue Moon, one of the world’s important fancy vivid blue diamonds,” said FCRF advisory board chairman, Eden Rachminov. “This has caused increased demand against a shortage of fancy blue diamonds.”

The Blue Moon, a 12.03 ct. internally flawless vivid blue, will be auctioned by Sotheby’s Geneva on Nov. 11. "

http://www.jckonline.com/2015/11/10/dem ... -306540353
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Here's a better shot of the Blue Moon diamond. It is more vivid blue in this shot. ;)
PinkDiamond

Brightlights

Post by Brightlights »

I wish I could sell just one stone worth that amount! :mrgreen:
Too many beautiful distractions... https://twitter.com/burningems
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Yeah, I wish you could too, and that I could've brokered the deal and gotten my cut. :lol:

So, who would spend that kind of dough on a large, rare, flawless blue diamond? A man who loves his 7 year old daughter so much he just had to buy it for her, of course! He even renamed it for her, so I plan on having him adopt me so I can get in on this 'bigazz bling for your daughter' deal he's got going, too! :lol:

Billionaire dad spends HUGE on diamonds for daughter
November 12, 2015

"Dads like him come along only once every blue moon.

A Hong Kong billionaire tycoon paid a total of $77 million at auctions in Geneva for two large and rare colored diamonds for his 7-year-old daughter Josephine — and renamed them after her, his office said Thursday.

Joseph Lau was the top bidder for the 12.03-carat “Blue Moon” diamond that sold Wednesday night for a record-setting 48.6 million Swiss francs ($48.5 million), said a spokeswoman for Lau, who declined to give her name. Sotheby’s said the buyer promptly renamed the pricier gem “The Blue Moon of Josephine,”

Lau was also the buyer of a 16.08-carat vivid pink diamond that sold for 28.7 million Swiss francs ($28.5 million) auctioned by Christie’s the night before, she said. The buyer renamed that diamond “Sweet Josephine,” Christie’s said.

“Yes, the two diamonds are bought by Joseph Lau,” said the spokeswoman, who added that they were named after Lau’s daughter.

The blue diamond, set in a ring, was said to be among the largest known fancy vivid blue diamonds and was the showpiece gem at the Sotheby’s jewelry auction.

The Blue Moon — named in reference to its rarity, playing off the expression “once in a blue moon” — topped the previous record of $46.2 million set five years ago by the Graff Pink, Sotheby’s said. The diamond also set a new record of more than $4 million per carat, capping the daylong high-end jewelry sale that reaped roughly $140 million.

Lau, a property developer with a fortune estimated by Forbes at ..."

https://thehornnews.com/billionaire-dad ... -daughter/
PinkDiamond

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Rob Bates' headline on this story is priceless! :lol:

Daddy Dearest: Fugitive Father Buys $77 Million in Diamonds for 7-Year-Old Daughter
http://www.jckonline.com/2015/11/13/dad ... -306540353

Funny none of the other stories mentioned that. :lol:
PinkDiamond