Cartier Honors $13,000 Online Price Mistake

Trade news

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Oh boy, I"m sure somebody's head must have rolled over this, and I wouldn't want to be the person who listed the price incorrectly, but it's only right that Cartier honored the deal, although they tried to get out of it, and this buyer who bought 2 pairs at such a ridiculously low price isn't the only one who scored them. If it wasn't the law that they must honor the contract created when the buyer bought them, I doubt they would have honored the buy, but since it is the law they really had no choice as I see it, so they ended up doing the right thing anyway. All I can say is YIKES! :o

Here's what happened. :?

By Rob Bates | April 30, 2024

"Rogelio Villarreal was surfing the internet when he saw a pair of Cartier diamond-encrusted earrings priced at 237 Mexican pesos, or about $13.

“I swear, I sweat cold,” Villarreal, a resident of Mexico, wrote on X.

He had seen other Cartier jewelry online, with more typical Cartier prices. “I was amazed at what the necklaces cost, and I said ‘someday,’ until I saw the earrings,” his X post said.

According to The New York Times, the earrings were supposed to be priced at 237,000 pesos (about $13,000). Villarreal knew a deal when he saw one, and bought two pairs.

The luxury jeweler quickly realized its error, and changed the price online. It also tried to cancel Villarreal’s order, telling him it would send a complimentary bottle of Cartier Cuvée champagne and a leather item as “compensation,” the Times reported.

But Villarreal didn’t back down, and he filed a complaint with Mexico’s consumer protection agency, citing a law that said retailers must abide by stated terms and conditions.

Eventually, after the incident received a great deal of press coverage, Cartier decided to honor the posted price.

“War is over,” Villarreal declared on X, “Cartier is delivering.” Later, he proudly displayed his bargain jewelry on social media.

He also noted that at least one other buyer also snagged the deal, but that person has chosen to remain anonymous. He said he hoped no one got fired for the mistake.

“I’m excited,” he told the Times, “especially for my mom. Those earrings are for her.”

Still, while most were happy with the outcome—and cluttered his feed with cheering GIFs—others didn’t think what he did was right.

“Owning a piece of Cartier jewelry should be a symbol of ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... e-mistake/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: Cartier Honors $13,000 Online Price Mistake

Post by SwordfishMining »

"a symbol of theft or a reminder of shame,” Elitist much? There was NO theft. There is no shame unless its is between that X users own ears for what I'd say was jealousy, not an understanding of advertising law. Id say Villarreal showed intense virtue and jumped on a deal. He can be proud of his mothers earrings.
You're as bad as Larry King.... making me click thru. for the rest of the story.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

SwordfishMining wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:30 pm You're as bad as Larry King.... making me click thru. for the rest of the story.
They all have limitations on the amount of data you can copy, and I more than push the limit as it is, so to stay within the letter of the law I almost always lead readers to the website so they get credit for the traffic. It seems only right so I'm sorry but I don't know how else to do it. ;)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Oh no worries. Im just being snarky. I always use the image links from the sites so the image is fetched each time for hits for them. The convict has taught me a lot about copyright law enforcement. The evil ones do it as a way of life to protect themselves from the evil ones out to sell the info. Now it has gone to AI stealing all content. Im sure this forum has been harvested hundreds of times to "think like people think" for the computer learning. Only the big providers have the money & time to have lawyers enforcing all the possessiveness. The internet is like a library of free information once it was put out here. If they need the pennies for every view, they need a paywall & then you are back to trying to prosecute those out to steal your information, or in my case silence the facts hiding behind aggressive lawfare for frivolous issues that would be thrown out of court if one could afford to make the people take judgement and act proper. (Yes I write like I try to confuse AI) Look at my nemesis selling others info behind HIS paywall.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"