The Jewelry Edit Founder Rosena Sammi on What Fashion Buyers Want in 2024

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Uh, I give these an emphatic NO! Except for the peridot earrings these are cheap costume pieces to which she assigns 'magical' powers, which is ridiculous and of course she ties them in with the wellness trade, and she even claims the Mara Scalise pieces are "infused with Reiki", which is pure BS. I'm a Reiki master too, and that's another absurd claim so don't buy into her hype even if you want to buy her cheap jewelry. Sorry to have to be so blunt but she's way out there and making claims she has no proof have any relationship to truth.

By Victoria Gomelsky | April 17, 2024

"When JCK caught up with Rosena Sammi, founder and CEO of the Jewelry Edit, an e-commerce platform for fine fashion jewelry with a focus on sustainability and diversity, she was in Miami, prepping for an event at Soho House that she was cohosting with Harriet Posner, founder of the equestrian lifestyle brand Callidae.

Rosena Sammi

Together they were introducing a horseshoe charm, the first in a series of equestrian-themed charms that belong to the Epona collection, named for the patron goddess of mares, foals, and cavalry, worshipped by both military and civilians.

Even though the collection was conceived months before Beyoncé released her country album Cowboy Carter, Sammi said that when she and her team were putting together a mood board for the collaboration, the current vogue for Western motifs and iconography came up in conversation.

Epona horseshoe charm in gold on cord by the Jewelry Edit x Callidae

“We had noticed one of the Hadid sisters was dating a rodeo guy, and we had her on the mood board,” Sammi tells JCK. “And then Beyoncé came out with her album, and it’s reimagining the accessibility to riding and horses. We saw her in the cowboy hat at the Grammys and thought, ‘Oh, this could work out well.’”

It’s not the first time Sammi has proved to be an astute observer of trends. Below, she talks about the synergies she’s discovered between jewelry and wellness culture, the enduring appeal of green gems, and other big-picture ideas and trends motivating her clients to buy fashion jewelry this year.

On statement jewels

I just did a trunk show where we hosted Misho, the British Indian jewelry brand. They have a huge celebrity following—everyone from Beyoncé to Adele to the Kardashians to Dua Lipa—and I noticed a theme in selling their very bold pieces: Women are looking to feel empowered by their jewelry and to make a statement. We’ve done the delicate pieces where people are layering and stacking, and this event demonstrated to me that women are looking to make a bold statement.

In March, the Jewelry Edit hosted a pop-up event in downtown Manhattan with British jewelry brand Misho, whose designs include this Chunky Chain Choker, (photo courtesy of the Jewelry Edit).

We did a three-day pop up in the Meatpacking District and saw a different group of women than we see in our Park Avenue location. Misho’s jewelry is 22k gold–plated—it’s got a lot of shine, architectural lines, and organic shapes, and is under $650 (the sweet spot is around $150 to $200).

Chunky chain hoops in 22k gold-plated bronze, $230; Misho

They do a lot of big editorial pieces, but they scale them. They have huge earrings and do them in three different sizes so they allow people to participate in the bold look at whatever size they’re comfortable with. Women who work in finance came by; they wanted to have something unique, but they’re also wearing pieces for eight hours or longer and want to look appropriate in a corporate setting. And then there were women who wanted the huge earrings for a night out.

On personalized jewelry

We’re looking for designers tapping into this concept of making jewelry very personal. The event we’re planning for next month will feature a young Black designer we’re bringing on, High Light Rituals. They have “spell bracelets” that they can personalize for you. And they’re also very accessibly priced. It’s a good opportunity for women to get together and create something special.

Wealth Weaver Spell bracelet on natural silk cord with 14k and 18k gold beads, $100; High Light Rituals

We’re hosting an event with a tarot reader and these spell bracelets, and we’re going to have some of Paige Novick’s energy necklaces with gemstones. We want to make it feel less about shopping and consuming—I say that with the best of intentions—and more about connecting with one great piece that speaks to you.

On jewelry’s ties to wellness culture

We carry Mara Scalise—she’s an L.A. designer and reiki master, and she infuses everything with reiki. When we’ve touched upon this idea of infusing energy into pieces. there’s been an interest in that. Customers enjoy that idea of incorporating jewelry into their rituals.

On the color of the year (decade? century?)

I’ve noticed the continuing trend of green stones, and in all forms, delicate or bold. We did a lot of peridot, and that continues to be popular. But it’s evident in all sorts of stones, from a green quartz cocktail ring or a delicate necklace using the tiniest watermelon tourmalines. Green is here to stay.

Peridot to Paradise earrings in 22k gold with Fuli peridot and enamel, $8,750; Agaro

On serpentine style

I am looking out for more serpents. I have a lot of customers asking me for more snakes, and that’s turning on their significance as a symbol. A couple of key clients have asked me for those as a symbol of protection. It goes back to this idea, whether it’s the energy of the gems or what the jewels represent, people are wearing them as talismans. This is the sort of jewelry they’re seeking. It’s jewelry as ritual. When you’re putting on your serpent, it’s like your armor.

Snake Ear Climber in gold-plated brass, $60, Lauren Newton "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... yers-want/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)