Sotheby’s ‘Rough Diamonds’ Sale Is All About … Watches

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

When I read this headline I had to laugh, and there's a 5-shot slideshow in this you'll need to use the link to access. The first pic in the slideshow shows us Audemars Piguet's watch with the dark green band we saw recently, and that's my favorite because it reminds me of the lime green VW beetle I had back in the '80s with a hotrod engine in it that always made racers who revved their engines at me to mock me at a traffic light scratch their heads as I took off leaving them in the dust as soon as it turned green. :lol:

This 18-karat gold and citrine Jaeger-LeCoultre Ref. 7295 pinky-ring watch dates to 1953 and is one of 24 lots being offered in Sotheby’s upcoming “Rough Diamonds” watch auction. The watches will be on display in Geneva Monday through Wednesday, with the sale slated to take place Thursday.

"Geneva—Today in Geneva, two dozen vintage watches that Sotheby’s describes as “avant-garde and overlooked” will go on display ahead of a live auction later this week.

The “Rough Diamonds” sale features bejeweled, unusually shaped, and car-themed timepieces from brands like Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger-LeCoultre, and Piaget.

There’s a Corum watch that looks like the grill of a Rolls-Royce from 1980, the circa 1975 Chopard exploding with color (and with a hydrogrossular garnet dial), and the pinky-ring watch from Jaeger-LeCoultre from 1953 that screams mob-wife aesthetic, seen at top of article.

SEE: 5 of the Watches in “Rough Diamonds”

Sotheby’s organized the auction in collaboration with heist-out, a “watch and creative collective” that did something truly original last year—it launched a print magazine.

Commenting on the auction, heist-out co-founders Maxime Couturier and Lorenzo Maillard said, “In an industry where each new release often melds into the next, it is invigorating to pay homage to the trailblazers of yesteryear and affirm that audacity has always been pivotal in shaping watch design.”

The public exhibition for Rough Diamonds will take place Monday through Wednesday from 4 to 8 p.m. CEST underground, literally.

The watches are on display in the wine cellar at La Corne à Vin, 47 Rue de Lausanne, Geneva.

The auction also will take place in the wine cellar, at 6 p.m. CEST on Thursday.

Bidders can participate in person, on the phone, or online via the Sotheby’s website.

To see all the watches in the auction, visit ... "

https://nationaljeweler.com/articles/12 ... ut-watches
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)