UPDATE: Chick hatches!2023–24 Royal Albatross Cam Features Two Nests In View

Discussion and pictures of your favorite critters!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

UPDATE: Chick hatches!2023–24 Royal Albatross Cam Features Two Nests In View

Post by PinkDiamond »

And so it begins again. I wanted to see what went on in the off season so I continued to pull up the albatross cam after the male fledged a few months ago since I love the sounds of the birds, and find the weather there interesting since it's extremely windy so often and also rains quite often; frequently daily, and the temps stay well above freezing.

The same pair that used the nest last year have returned to it giving us a good camera view of the nest, and this year there's a new pair nested close by that's hard to see through the tall grass, which they say they're leaving to give the new pair some privacy in the hopes that they'll have better luck at being new parents this year than they did last year.

There are 2 links below; the first is to this article and the bottom one is to the live webcam. There won't be much action going on except for swapping out incubating duties until the egg hatches in January, but you can rest assured I'll be tuning in and will keep you posted. :D

2023–24 Royal Albatross Cam Features Two Nests In View
December 14, 2023

The Royal Albatross Cam’s new view for the 2023–24 season. This year will feature two nesting locations at Top Flat (left) and Top Flat Track (right).
Photo credit: Sharyn Broni / DOC

"Are you ready for another marathon breeding season with one of the world’s largest seabirds? The Royal Albatross Cam has officially moved to a new location for the 2023–24 season. This season features a special surprise, as it will be the first to feature a double dose of albatross action with two nests in view! Watch live.

Cast Of Characters: The Royal Cam viewing community will be greeted by both familiar and fresh faces this breeding season. Male LGK (named for his colored leg band combination: Lime/Green/Black) and female LGL (Lime/Green/Lime) return to the Top Flat nest site, where they are caring for a single egg laid on November 7. This experienced pair have been together since 2017, and they’ve successfully raised two chicks (Karere and Tiaki) featured on the Royal Cam in past seasons.

Nearby at the Top Track Flat site, male WYL (White/Yellow/Lime) and female BOK (Blue/Orange/Black) have been tending to their egg since it was laid on November 14. These birds were first time breeders last season, but their egg did not hatch. Now in the spotlight of the Royal Cam, we’ll be following their next attempt at raising a chick from hatch to fledge for the first time together.

Read more about the history of these two pairs on the New Zealand Department of Conservation (DOC) website.

Privacy Fence: Currently the Top Flat nest is in clear view on the left-hand-side of the frame, and the Top Flat Track nest is obscured by tall grass to the right. The grass has not been cut between the nests to give the less experienced pair (WYL and BOK) some privacy as they attempt to successfully raise their first chick. According to DOC, creating privacy between neighbors can help minimize stress during nesting for inexperienced pairs. As the season progresses, the tall grass will die down and the view of the nest will open up.

Early Season Activities: Up until the eggs begin to hatch in January, we’ll watch the adults swap incubation shifts at the nest site while their their mates set out to sea to forage. It’s also a busy time for DOC rangers, as they will track the development of the egg by candling them. Learn more about this process and what else you can expect to see during the incubation period in this video, and follow updates on the daily activities at the nest on Twitter/X @RoyAlbatrossCam. "

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/cams/2023 ... s-in-view/

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/cams/roya ... -306637205
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
PinkDiamond

Re: 2023–24 Royal Albatross Cam Features Two Nests In View

Post by PinkDiamond »

The first egg has hatched in the nest closest to the cam, and I happened to check it just in time to see a ranger go to the nest and remove the baby from under the parent, put it in a little cloth bag, and weigh it. This is a screenshot of him after removing the chick from the bag. It's amazing how calm the parents are. It just stood there waiting for him to put the baby back, and shortly after he left the parent settled down on the baby again. Since I saw nothing in the news under the feed I think the chick may have hatched today. 8-)
AlbieChickHatches.png
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/cams/roya ... -306637205
PinkDiamond

PinkDiamond

Re: UPDATE: Chick hatches!2023–24 Royal Albatross Cam Features Two Nests In View

Post by PinkDiamond »

It is now 2 months since I posted about the albatross chicks, and today I saw a video clip of the one closest to the cam spreading its tiny wings as a rainbow landed beside it, and believe me; these chicks are huge now. We're all familiar with the shopping baskets in dollar stores and others that have 2 handles on them. Well the chicks are so big now, probably the size of a small turkey so it takes a big basket like that to put them in to weigh them, which I saw them do yesterday or the day before.

I had the cam running last night and heard noises so I looked and the poor things were being pelted with pretty good size hailstones, which I've not seen on this cam before. I have to wonder what they thought was going on when they started getting beaned off the head with frozen ice. :lol:

I had to cut the screenshot down considerably to get it to upload on the forum, but isn't this just darling?! :D
AlbieRainbow.png
PinkDiamond

SwordfishMining

Re: UPDATE: Chick hatches!2023–24 Royal Albatross Cam Features Two Nests In View

Post by SwordfishMining »

That is a great picture.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Yes, and he looks so small there, but here's a video of the weigh-in so you'll be able to get a better idea of just how big these baby Hueys are now. The first one is the larger one, being about 2 weeks older than the other one. :lol:

PinkDiamond