Basak Baykal Creates Colorful Bouquet of Modern Treasures

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

These are lovely depictions of various types of flowers, and I love the earrings in the lead pic, as well as the fuchsia earrings, but I wouldn't wear either one due to long hair getting tangled in them, but the last pair in this lineup is perfect, and I know you'll agree with me that they're the best pair of them all. Check these out. 8-)

By Brittany Siminitz | March 15, 2024

"Earlier this week I had the pleasure of curating a bouquet of flower jewels, each an amazing spring statement that promises to stay beautiful year-round.

I considered including a number from Basak Baykal but simply couldn’t choose—I wanted to share them all. Originally from Istanbul and now based in London, Baykal fuses her two worlds into modern treasures by pairing ancient jewelry design practices of Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar with the styles we clamor for today.

The jewels are undoubtedly fine—some are downright museum-worthy. Yet they have a crisp, modern attitude—thanks to mismatched details, asymmetry, and playful gemstone layouts—that I appreciate deeply. Many pieces combine handpainted enamel with pavé gemstones, and are crafted so as to appear dancing with movement (which is true even for the styles that are static). Through her work, Baykal shows us that fine jewelry, while luxurious as ever, can still be incredibly fun and free-spirited.

Her eponymous brand, founded in 2021, has a thing for flowers. Various species, from adorable daisies and forget-me-nots to fuchsias and violets, are all brought to life in gloriously colored gemstones. (All prices are on request.)

What could be better as we prepare for the official arrival of spring?

Daisy earrings in 18k yellow gold with cabochon citrine and 2 cts. t.w. diamonds

Forget-Me-Not earrings in 14k yellow gold with 9.45 cts. t.w. amethysts and yellow sapphires

Forget-Me-Not necklace in 18k white gold with lapis lazuli, 14.4 cts. t.w. aquamarines, and 1.05 cts. t.w. diamonds

Fuchsia earrings in 18k white gold with 3.62 cts. t.w. pink and blue sapphires and diamonds

Orange Blossom brooch in 18k white gold with 2.97 cts. t.w. diamonds and green garnets

Daisy earrings in 18k yellow gold with 2.62 cts. t.w. cabochon emeralds and 3.15 cts. t.w. diamonds

Forget-Me-Not earrings in 14k white gold with 1.8 cts. t.w. aquamarines, 0.7 ct. t.w. blue sapphires, 0.27 ct. t.w. diamonds, yellow sapphires, and pearls

Hoya earrings in 18k white gold with baroque pearls, 3 cts. t.w. diamonds, and 1.93 cts. t.w. blue sapphires

Forget-Me-Not ring in 18k white gold with lapis lazuli, 6.22 cts. t.w. aquamarines, and 0.3 ct. t.w. diamonds

Forget-Me-Not earrings in 14k white gold with 2.26 cts. t.w. green garnets, 1.65 cts. t.w. pink sapphires, 1.35 cts. t.w. amethysts, and yellow sapphires

Violet necklace in 18k white gold with amethysts, black diamonds, 4.81 cts. t.w. pink and yellow sapphires, and 1.05 cts. t.w. diamonds

Violet earrings in 18k white gold with Tahitian pearls, 3.79 cts. t.w. pink and yellow sapphires, amethysts, and black diamonds

Forget-Me-Not earrings in 18k white gold with opal, 2.49 cts. t.w. aquamarine, 1.1 cts. t.w. diamonds, blue sapphires, and ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... l-flowers/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: Basak Baykal Creates Colorful Bouquet of Modern Treasures

Post by SwordfishMining »

Wow. The more I see of these the more i realize Im hanging in the tribal mining zone and not out in the makers millions zones. There has not been a discovery here yet that would satisfy the first factory, Over the last century there has been thousands of world class gem specimens and some cut, or call the Smithsonian/GIA/et al liars, taken home for a fee diggers day or a rockhounds summer. I know they could be gussied up and framed, but i still see a fine picture stone either the POC pattern or visual striking appearance needing nothing else but a frame.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"