In Memoriam – The Man Who Discovered Paraiba Tourmaline: Heitor Barbosa – Dead at 90

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

In Memoriam – The Man Who Discovered Paraiba Tourmaline: Heitor Barbosa – Dead at 90

Post by PinkDiamond »

Paraiba tourmaline was discovered by this man, Heitor Barbosa, who recently passed at the ripe old age of 90 years old, once again attesting to the fact that those in the trade get so much energy from the gemstones we love it keeps us alive into very old age. At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :lol:

RIP Mr Barbosa, and thank you for bringing the beauty and joy of paraiba tourmalines to us. :!:

February 21, 2024

[/sBrian Cook
Nature’s Geometry

Early 1990s. Image by Brian Cook

Heitor Dimas Barbosa

30 May, 1933 – 23 September, 2023

"The man credited with the discovery of cuprian elbaite tourmaline, the gemstone known around the world as Paraiba Tourmaline, has passed away.

“From my very first knock on his door in the very real outback of Paraiba state Brazil 1989, his keen piercing eyes sized me up, and then began our life long connection, sharing the enchantment of a marvelous new stone. Trials and tribulations. Victory.

“I sat with his son Sergio in Paraiba recently and we spoke of his eulogy. I feel it is best to let Sergio’s words speak, which I captured on video and have translated and arranged for clarity.” – Brian Cook

“He was a hero. Pre destined.” says Sergio.

“A person who was chosen by god. He left Minas Gerais towards the outback of Ceara and Paraiba for his construction project, exploring the regions in his spare time.

“On one of these trips, he stumbled upon this Paraiba location and decided to prospect there.

“With all the struggle he had at the beginning and later, after production began, which you know very well, he managed to leave a world-wide story. Today everyone knows Paraiba tourmaline, its historical value and a stone that truly enchants in all aspects.

“In this digging and prospecting, he spent 7 years of very difficult conditions, from the access to water and food, roads and finding workers.

“Then there was success! Only that this success reflected on a global level.

“People in our industry know our tourmaline stone from Paraiba. I know the name Heitorita from the original location of the discovery, which bears his name.

“My father said he had an objective, a goal, a foresight.

The first map of the mine, mapped and hand-drawn by Brian Cook.
This is a close-up of one portion of the mine including a quote from Heitor.

“He had a desire in his heart, pre-destined, he accomplished a great thing on the planet that left a stone for everyone.

“In work, in benefits, generating wealth for many people.

“It was a privilege to be Heitor’s son.” – Sergio Pinheiro Barbosa, 24 October, 2023

Heitor is survived by his four children, two grandchildren, and his wife.

Beginning from when he was a teenager at the mine, Sergio now embodies the full experience of this Batalha mine, and carries full responsibility of the storied past and what may come.

I Remain,

Brian Charles Cook
Nature’s Geometry
natgeo@sonic.net
@goldenrutilatedquartz

All Photos Above, Brian Cook

In Memoriam: Heitor Barbosa – GIA’s Gems & Gemology, Winter 2023, Vol. 59, No. 4.

Heitor Barbosa discovered Paraíba tourmaline in 1989 after almost a decade of mining. Photo by Duncan Pay.

Tap here to read the Memoriam in GIA’s G&G"

https://roskingemnewsreport.com/the-man ... ourmaline/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)