SSR Mining SVP is latest company figure detained over mine disaster

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

After the landslide in Turkey left 9 miners missing who are still being sought, officers of the company were detained by authorities, and now the senior VP has been detained as well. It remains to be seen if those missing are still alive or not, so please keep up the prayers if any of you are praying for them. :?

Staff Writer | February 18, 2024 | 9:42 am Top Companies Europe Gold

"An executive of SSR Mining (TSX: SSRM) (ASX: SSR) in charge of its operations in Turkey has been detained by authorities following this week’s gold mine disaster, reports Sky News.

According to the British news network, Cengiz Demirci, Turkey director and senior vice-president of operations, is the latest figure associated with the Denver-based miner to be held in custody.

As Reuters had reported on Friday, as many as eight SSR employees were detained amid an investigation into a massive landslide at the Copler mine that left nine workers missing since Tuesday.

Turkey’s energy minister says hundreds of search and rescue personnel are still looking for the missing workers, who were presumably left trapped under rubble after the landslide engulfed the gold mine, located in the mountainous Erzincan province of in eastern Turkey.

Meanwhile, Turkey’s environment ministry announced over the weekend that it is cancelling the environmental permit and licence held by Anagold Madencilik, the Copler mine operator that is 80% owned by SSR.

Experts have warned the mine site is a potential environmental hazard, because the soil was laced with dangerous substances, including cyanide, which is used in gold extraction. In 2020, the mine was temporarily shut down following a cyanide leak into the Euphrates River.

SSR Mining said late on Friday that all operations at Copler remain suspended. The company, through Anagold, has operated the mine since 2009, employing more than 650 people.

The mine disaster has so far wiped out ... "

https://www.mining.com/ssr-mining-svp-i ... e-disaster
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)