France Says Diamond Growers Must Stick to “Synthetic”

Man-made stones

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Good for France for calling this spade a spade! I have always felt that synthetic was the best term for LGDs, and I was miffed when the FTC said it was basically an insult to LGDs that would confuse consumers and make them think they're the equivalent of CZs or the like, which they thought wasn't fair since their structural composition is identical to natural diamonds, so they dropped the use of the term. As y'all know, I led the title of this category with the word 'synthetic', and am still using the term occasionally, although I like LGDs better now since it's faster to type. And get this - the FTC used the term synthetic in its own blog post in 2021. So synths it is! :lol:

By Rob Bates | February 15, 2024

"French authorities have ruled that lab-grown diamond sellers can only use the word synthetic to describe their product.

A 2002 decree lists synthetic as the only acceptable qualifier for stones “whose physical, chemical properties and crystal structure correspond essentially to those of the natural stones that they copy.”

In 2022, a diamond manufacturer asked France’s Ministry of the Economy, Finance, and Industrial and Digital Sovereignty to modify the rule to allow use of the term laboratory-created. But last October, following consultations with the trade, the ministry decided things should stay as is.

“Many of you (nearly forty, including the professional federations) responded to [our] questionnaire, and we thank you for that,” said a ministry email sent to those who commented. “An analysis of the replies received shows that a majority of players are in favor of maintaining the [2002] decree.”

French jewelry organization UFBJOP was among the parties that submitted input, contending that laboratory-grown and laboratory-created have “no acceptable French-language translations.” By contrast, it called synthetic a “clear term, understandable by the consumer.”

“[A survey of] more than 1,000 French people, aged 25 and over, revealed that 83% of French people were able to give a definition to synthetic diamonds, characterizing them mainly as an artificial stone,” UFBJOP said. “90% of those questioned understood that these stones are not extracted from the Earth.”

It further noted that international Customs authorities require manufactured diamonds to be labeled synthetic.

Despite the existing decree, the term lab-grown has often been used by French jewelers that sell synthetic gems, including Courbet and LVMH-owned FRED. The two companies did not return a request for comment.

The French government’s stance on this issue differs from the U.S. Federal Trade Commission’s. In 2018, the FTC removed synthetic from its list of recommended terms for lab-grown diamonds, saying consumers might mistakenly believe that lab-grown diamonds are non-diamond simulants akin to cubic zirconia. However, contrary to some assertions, the agency did not disallow synthetic—and, in fact, used the word in a 2021 blog post about shopping for gemstones."

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... synthetic/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: France Says Diamond Growers Must Stick to “Synthetic”

Post by SwordfishMining »

Good for them. LGDs is easy and means the same thing to me. Like Ito for me stands for all plastic embedded opals whoever makes them now & Gilson for true synthetics that have no water. Politics is a very uncomfortable coat to capitalism.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"