GIA Announces Enhanced Jade Report

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

GIA is expanding the data it provides on its jade reports, and will be using a term that is new to us, that being "Fei Cui". Here's why, and what Fei Cui means. It's too bad the image of the report doesn't enlarge so we can read it. ;)

GIA’s new jade report will include details on the type of jade and, when appropriate, employ the trade term “Fei Cui.”

"Carlsbad, Calif.—The Gemological Institute of America (GIA) has made changes to its jade report.

The enhanced report features additional gemological information and a user-friendly layout.

New additions include a dedicated area under the “Results” section that details the type of jade, when appropriate.

Another addition is a table featuring jade type definitions, which the lab said adds to the report’s depth and clarity.

The new GIA jade report lists jade type, as well as jade type definitions, and if applicable, a “Fei Cui” distinction, as seen in the sample report above.

Also, when appropriate, the comment section will now list the trade term “Fei Cui," with a note explaining that the term refers to the materials jadeite, omphacite, and kosmochlor.

According to GIA, jade is a generic term for nephrite, jadeite, and, under certain conditions, green omphacite.

“Fei Cui” is the traditional Chinese term for jadeite jade, which is a rock composed of an aggregate of small grains from three major mineral components, jadeite, omphacite and kosmochlor.

Because of its small properties, it is difficult for lab instruments to determine the true composition and therefore, the Chinese gem trade adopted the term to cover all of these instances, according to gem lab Lotus Gemology.

“We made these improvements to our jade report recognizing its history, symbolism and overall importance to consumers,” said Tom Moses, executive vice president and chief laboratory and research officer at GIA.

More information about the GIA Jade Report and other laboratory services is available on ... "

https://nationaljeweler.com/articles/12 ... ade-report
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: GIA Announces Enhanced Jade Report

Post by SwordfishMining »

I can read it. It says jadeite AKA FEI CUI which sound like a colloquial term despite all the culture burning the CCP does. It defines the later as a combination of the 3 components of jadeite. Treatments read the same as much as I can remember the treated or not grading. And opal seems to be cursed if a treatment is used, yet they buy the dyed fake stuff by the tons; most curious.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"