Go for Baroque: The Statement Pearl

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Maybe it's the nitpicking Virgo in me that has always made me reject baroque pearls with their freeform style, to the point where the number of them that I have ever really liked can be counted on one hand, with fingers left over so I'm showing you the lead pic, the text, and then three I thought were interesting from the lineup, which oddly enough were in consecutive order near the end of the article, so there are quite a few more for you to see via the link. I got a kick out of the first one below the text because it looks pregnant. :lol:

By Brittany Siminitz | October 04, 2023

"Once somewhat of a novelty (the phrase “not your grandmother’s pearls” certainly demonstrated our disbelief that pearls could be cool), modern pearl jewelry has become a retail-store regular.

I don’t mean to say the jewelry industry and its consumers haven’t always loved pearls. On the contrary, they are so essential for a fulfilled jewelry box that a simple strand or pair of stud earrings feels an obligatory purchase. Do you even like jewelry if you don’t have pearls in your collection?

But more recent iterations seem to want to explore—and in doing so, celebrate—the pearl. While a strand of them may make the case that pearls are more impactful in numbers, designers are doing away with the pristine image pearls can convey and instead creating art focused on some of the gem’s natural features.

With these jewels, you won’t find designers searching painstakingly for ideally matched pearls to assemble a strand (a miraculous sight and fabulous purchase in its own right). Instead, you’ll see a statement pearl or two—most often of the baroque or soufflé variety—its irregularly shaped form used as a canvas for bejeweled art. Sometimes that looks like the pearls are decorated, in diamonds or other gemstones or in metal flourishes. On other pieces, the shapes are left to stand out all their own, like fluffy clouds dangling from expertly designed bales.

Whether the aesthetic leans contemporary, organic, or vintage-inspired, the new pearl can be a welcome addition to a classic necklace or bracelet, allowing both to exist in a world that now sees pearl as anything but matronly.

Below, see how some jewelry brands celebrate the perfect imperfections that make baroque pearls shine. With their generous sizes and scene-stealing settings, they’re statement jewels to last a lifetime.

Pendant in 18k white gold with pearl and 1.01 cts. t.w. diamonds, $6,457; Yael Designs

Jubilation earrings with baroque pearls, peridot, pink sapphire, and yellow sapphire, $4,800; Emily Kuvin

Elixir earrings in 14k yellow gold with Tahitian pearls and diamonds, $3,300; Marlo Laz

... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... ent-pearl/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)