Mexican Opal Fee Digging with Tequisquiapan Opal Mine; Grupo Dragonfly

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

SwordfishMining

Mexican Opal Fee Digging with Tequisquiapan Opal Mine; Grupo Dragonfly

Post by SwordfishMining »

Our company is one of the first Tour Companies in the area. Providing services to our visitors since 1980. Our passion is our country. Many things to show you. Culture, attractions, excellent food. Warm people willing to take care of you.
GRUPO DRAGONFLY offers tours and activities in these cities: Guadalajara, TapalpaTequisquiapan Opal Mine Querétaro Travel Guide
Learn about opal-mining history, dig for semi-precious stones and enjoy superb views of the Querétaro Valley at this working mine.

Get the chance to search for opal stones and then see them turned into gemstones on a guided tour of the Tequisquiapan Opal Mine (Mina de Ópalos La Carbonera). For over a century Tequisquiapan has been a recognized location for the extraction and exploitation of opals, which get polished and created into artisanal jewelry sold around the world. Tequisquiapan Opal Mine is an open-air mine set on a hill encircled by the wild landscapes of Querétaro.

The tour starts with a ride in a four-wheel drive jeep up a steep, winding dirt road that passes lush green vegetation. Listen as your knowledgeable guide explains the importance of opal mining to the region and how the trade has developed over time. Hear stories about old miners and feel free to ask the guide questions. Observe as miners hack away at rocks in an attempt to extract the stones.

Follow the guide along rock-strewn tracks to natural caves and tunnels. Watch a demonstration of hammering techniques and then grab a hammer and have fun digging for your own opals. Visit the workshop, where artists expertly transform the raw stones into sublime fashion accessories. Have your own opal made into a brightly colored jewelry piece or purchase pre-made items from the shop.

While here, take a moment to appreciate the rugged beauty of the Querétaro Valley. Spot craggy hills, patchwork fields and lakes such as Presa Centenario. On clear days it’s possible to make out the 1,420-feet (433-meter) tall Peña de Bernal monolith, located to the north.

Situated in the town of La Trinidad, the mine is about 7 miles (11 kilometers) west of Tequisquiapan. Get here via public buses or arrange private transportation with one of Tequisquiapan’s tour operators.

Same photo of in the mine
Highlights
Visit four opal mines
Go hunting for your own opal with a hammer and a helmet provided by the miners
See an obsidian deposit

Full description
Visit Magdalena, a town full of traditions and four main opal mines where you will have the opportunity to explore and to appreciate the work of the miners. You will be able to go hunting on your own opal with a hammer and a helmet provided by the miners.

Start the tour in an opal shop and then explore the opal mines, learn about this precious stone and then hunt for opals. On your way back, visit an obsidian deposit to admire the place and feel the powerful energy of this crystal. Magdalena also has an obsidian deposit, thanks to the climate conditions and the proximity to the Tequila Volcano.

Enjoy free time to appreciate the different kinds of opals and buy the ones of your choice. Have lunch in an excellent typical Mexican restaurant.
Includes: Transportation Hotel pickup and drop-off Professional tour guide Local guide-miner Food and drinks Souvenirs
Gratuities For lunch at the restaurant the suggested gratuity is 15% for the tour guide: between 15-20% at end.

Not suitable for People with mobility impairments
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"