The Prettiest of Peridots for August’s Birthstone

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Here's an early gift for our August babies, which includes me, and although I dislike the color of the peridots in the earrings in the lead pic since they don't have enough of the yellow component for my taste, leaving them with an olive green tone instead of peridot's beautiful spring green shade, the ring in the next pic is lovely, and I cut this off at my favorite piece of the lot leaving three more for you to see via the link. :)

By Annie Davidson Watson | July 25, 2023

"It’s appropriate that the birthstone for the super sunny month of August is bright green peridot. One of the oldest known gemstones, peridot has been mined for ages. Its name is derived from the Greek word peridona, meaning “gift of the sun.”

Called the “evening emerald” because of its unique capacity to sparkle under natural or artificial light, peridot is often associated with warmth, luck, prosperity, and protection. The ancient Egyptians even believed that peridot was a gift from the sun god Ra, and they often wore peridot jewelry to ward off evil spirits. Therefore, it’s a popular choice for jewelry not only for its overt beauty but also for its storied meaning.

Though typically green, peridot can also be found in other colors, including yellow, orange, and brown. The color of peridot is determined by the amount of iron it contains: The more iron it has, the darker green it is. And the darker the peridot, the more valuable it is.

Here, we’ve rounded up some of the loveliest deep green peridot pieces on the market.

Cocktail ring in platinum and 18k yellow gold with 31.14 ct. peridot, 0.67 ct. t.w. shield-cut diamonds, and 1.91 cts. t.w. round brilliant diamonds, price on request; Fred Leighton

Earrings in 14k yellow gold with 2.15 cts. t.w. peridot and 0.34 ct. t.w. white diamonds, $3,750; Sim and Roz

Love Lollipop Ring in 14k yellow gold with a 2.5 ct. heart-shape peridot, $2,891; Alina Abegg

Pendant necklace in 18k yellow gold with 1.8 ct. hexagonal peridot, $4,250; Harwell Godfrey

... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... irthstone/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)