What's the oldest known living wild bird, and how old is it?

Discussion and pictures of your favorite critters!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

What's the oldest known living wild bird, and how old is it?

Post by PinkDiamond »

This bit of trivia showed up on the Free the Ocean of Plastic website I use every day, and I thought you might find this as interesting as I did. I miss the Laysan albatross cam I watched for years because the Laysan chicks are the cutest with their constant 'bad hair days', and the adults are the most beautiful of the trossies with their blue eyeshadow, so I was devastated when the owners of the property decided to end the streaming service, although I can certainly understand their desire for privacy. Also, I seem to recall hearing Wisdom's name, so I think I've seen her on cam, but can't say for sure. Anyway, Wisdom takes the prize as the oldest known living wild bird in the world, and I hope she lives many more years and produces many more chicks. Go Wisdom!! :D
At 70 years old, Wisdom is the oldest known living wild bird in the world! A Laysan albatross, she’s lived a long ocean-dwelling life, flying over 3 million miles while foraging on the sea’s surface and returning to land to breed. She hatched her most recent chick in February 2021!

PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
crazy8s

Re: What's the oldest known living wild bird, and how old is it?

Post by crazy8s »

:o :D