With Her Latest Collection, Bibi van der Velden Makes Waves

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Her pieces are adorable with the ocean theme, although most of her stuff is so ornate they're too over the top for my taste, but preferences aside, she creates some gorgeous jewelry that's quite interesting to inspect to see all their features. I don't care for the necklace in the lead pic, or the bracelet in the second, but the mermaid swimming through the pearl in the third is adorable, and the Siren tail earring with opals is fabulous. Then there's the Big Splash ring that's lovely, but it's too 'busy', as in ornate for me even though it's interesting to see what she put on it, and I love the Lagoon shell pendant with the pearl best of all her pieces, and the seahorse ring, plus the mermaid tail earrings in the last pic so check these out and see what you think of them. :)

By Brittany Siminitz | June 09, 2023

"Pearl is a June birthstone, but time of year isn’t the only reason the gem is stealing the spotlight this month. Pearls have reached next-level popularity, with designers experimenting with them in fresh and intriguing ways, and a wider array of consumers (men!) looking to wear them.

Bibi van der Velden is a reliable source for adventurous pearl pieces, and the designer’s latest jewels are no exception, utilizing the gem to its fullest potential as it represents the place of its origin—the sea.

Rock Pool bracelet in 18k white gold with keshi pearls and diamonds, $117,600

Waves, the newest collection from van der Velden, takes inspiration from the ocean and its regenerative properties, and the 30 different pieces—yes, 30!—prominently feature pearls, other seaworthy gems like aquamarine and quartz, and diamonds decorating Bibi’s expertly sculpted gold.

Mermaid pendant on Waves chain in 18k white and rose gold with South Sea baroque pearl, small gray pearls, and brown diamonds, $19,780

The different Waves pieces range from sculptural interpretations of waves and rock pools to iconic mermaid tails in a variety of forms. Of course, you can’t hear “mermaid” without thinking of the new Disney film that just hit theaters, so the timing on the collection has pop culture resonance, too.

Siren Tail earring in 18k rose and white gold with opal and diamonds, $15,000

We had a few questions for van der Velden on the release of Waves, which debuted at last week’s Couture jewelry show in Las Vegas.

The Big Splash ring in 18k white and rose gold with pearl and diamonds, $24,000

What inspired your new collection?

My collection stems from my love of the ocean and surfing every day. I live by the sea in Portugal with my husband, kids, and dogs. I have been working on this collection for over two years, since I moved the family from Amsterdam just before COVID to beautiful and wild peninsular coastline of Portugal. The sea and nature, with a touch of the wilderness of my beach in Portugal, and the fairy tales and legends of old sea stories are blended into Waves.

Lagoon shell pendant and Waves chain in 18k yellow gold with pipe pearl, small cream pearls, and diamonds, $30,000

Seahorse Twist stud earring in 18k rose gold with diamond, $3,432

A 30-piece collection is a big one! Do you have a favorite?

My favorite piece is the big Crashing Waves necklace [pictured at top]. The incredible baroque pearl took me ages to source, and I probably won’t be able to find another quite like it! The way the gold dolphins jump joyfully around the gold and diamond waves that dance around the wearer’s neck. It is a piece in the collection that takes the raw beauty of the sea, and as a sculptor I have tried to capture that moment when you catch a wave and nature engulfs your soul as a wearable piece of art.

Mermaid Tails bracelet in 18k white and rose gold with brown and white diamonds, $32,400

Mini mermaid earring in 18k rose gold and sterling silver with Tahitian pearl and diamonds, $2,700 (sold as single)

What are your thoughts on the “mermaidcore” trend sweeping fashion?

Fashion always picks up on ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... den-waves/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)