David Yurman Unveils Quartz Exhibition at AMNH

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

This is David Yurman's new exhibit at the American Museum of Natural History, featuring a recreation of part of the Vortex Vein from the Avant Mine in Blue Springs Arkansas, and there's a small slideshow in the article from which I'm showing you 2 photos, the first one plus a gorgeous quartz specimen so check this out, and if you're in New York check it out in the museum in person. ;)

The Yurman Family Crystalline Pass is a 19-foot stretch of transparent quartz crystals in the corridor connecting the museum’s Allison and Roberto Mignone Halls of Gems and Minerals and the new Richard Gilder Center for Science, Education, and Innovation.

"New York—The David Yurman family has announced the opening of a new exhibit at the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH).

Found in the corridor connecting the museum’s Allison and Roberto Mignone Halls of Gems and Minerals and the new Richard Gilder Center for Science, Education, and Innovation, the Yurman Family Crystalline Pass is a 19-foot stretch of 4,000 pounds of transparent quartz crystals.

The exhibit is a recreation of a section of a 70-foot vein of naturally occurring transparent quartz crystals, known as the Vortex Vein, found within the Avant Mine in Blue Springs, Arkansas.

The mine is famous for producing what many experts consider the finest clear quartz crystal in the world. David Yurman has used this quartz in its jewelry for years.

“It’s one of the most extraordinary outcroppings of crystal in the world,” said David Yurman.

When construction began for the Gilder Center, AMNH curator George Harlow was in touch with James Zigras, who owns the mine. Zigras showed Harlow images of the mine and the vein of quartz crystals, and it sparked the initial idea for the crystalline pass.

“When I saw the expanse of the crystal vein at the Vortex mine, I thought ‘if we could recreate this, it would be dramatic, beautiful, and informative about geology,’” said Dr. George Harlow, curator emeritus in AMNH’s Department of Earth and Planetary Science.

“The idea is to both show something that is fantastic, and to educate people about what it represents.”

The Yurman family maintains a longstanding devotion to the arts and innovation, the jewelry company said, and have worked with AMNH before.

Previously, the family made donations to the Allison and Roberto Mignone Halls of Gems and Minerals that included some rare and precious stones, including opals and amethysts from President and Chief Creative Officer Evan Yurman’s personal collection. The son of founders David and Sybil was promoted in 2021.

“When construction began for the new Gilder Center, we discussed expanding our partnership into something more permanent and awe-inspiring for visitors,” Evan said. “We were fortunate to visit the mine during the crystals’ excavation and to work closely with the museum over many years to bring this project to life.”

Supporting the creation of this exhibit was also an opportunity for the company to educate museum visitors about gemstones’ natural formation and to give back to New York City, the city that has served as David Yurman’s inspiration for nearly 50 years.

“The response has been tremendously positive and eye-opening for visitors. It’s a unique experience to see the recreation of a natural wonder like this, and to better understand the natural origins of the stones that inspire our designs,” said Evan. “We’re ... "

https://nationaljeweler.com/articles/11 ... on-at-amnh
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)