Newcrest gold mine faces probe for dust pollution in Australia

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Of course people deserve clean air, but there has always been dust pollution on the face of the earth and there always will be. Yet in today's world they want to put a lid on dust, as if they could catch the wind and stop it, and this is not the first time this mine has been investigated and fined.

Environmentalists also want to restrict the dust on country roads stateside, like those around here which can only be tamed by wetting them, which doesn't last long, or paving them which the States apparently can't afford to do on all the back roads across the USA. So it would be interesting to find out exactly how these Aussie environmental talking heads think it can be done, and what they want the mining company to have to do. In other words, just how much dust are they expected to control, and how the heck are they supposed to do it? :roll:

Bloomberg News | May 21, 2023 | 8:54 pm Top Companies Australia Gold

Newcrest reports seismic event at Cadia
Cadia operations. Image courtesy of Newcrest Mining.

"Newcrest Mining, which is being taken over by Newmont Corp., is facing an investigation by Australian environmental authorities following complaints of dust pollution affecting residents near one of its largest gold mines in New South Wales.

The state’s Environment Protection Authority said it would implement additional measures to mitigate dust emissions and carry out further testing on the company’s Cadia mine to assess health risks to the community, after it found previous actions to manage pollution were not effective.

“Industry has strict obligations to meet clean air standards and currently Cadia appears to be falling well short of our expectations,” NSW EPA chief executive officer Tony Chappel said in a statement on Monday. “Everyone in NSW has a right to clean air no matter where they live.”

Newcrest, Australia’s top gold producer, was fined A$15,000 ($10,000) in August last year for failing to effectively mitigate dust pollution at Cadia, which is forecast to produce at least 560,000 ounces in fiscal 2023. The bullish prospects for the mine helped draw acquisition interest from US gold giant ... "

https://www.mining.com/web/newcrest-gol ... -australia
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)