The Green River Formation gives us new old bats

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

SwordfishMining

The Green River Formation gives us new old bats

Post by SwordfishMining »

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0283505
These excerpts are from the long scientific paper and there is a short version here:
https://www.sci.news/paleontology/icaro ... 11829.html I find it more interesting to wade thru the science of it all.

The oldest known bat skeletons and their implications for Eocene chiropteran diversification. Tim B. Rietbergen, Lars W. van den Hoek Ostende, Arvid Aase, Matthew F. Jones, Edward D. Medeiros, Nancy B. Simmons
PLOS Published: April 12, 2023

Abstract:
The Fossil Lake deposits of the Green River Formation of Wyoming, a remarkable early Eocene Lagerstätte (51.98 ±0.35 Ma), have produced nearly 30 bat fossils over the last 50 years. However, diversity has thus far been limited to only two bat species. Here, we describe a new species of Icaronycteris based on two articulated skeletons discovered in the American Fossil Quarry northwest of Kemmerer, Wyoming. The relative stratigraphic position of these fossils indicates that they are the oldest bat skeletons recovered to date anywhere in the world. Phylogenetic analysis of Eocene fossil bats and living taxa places the new species within the family Icaronycteridae as sister to Icaronycteris index, and additionally indicates that the two Green River archaic bat families (Icaronycteridae and Onychonycteridae) form a clade distinct from known Old World lineages of archaic bats. Our analyses found no evidence that Icaronycteris? menui (France) nor I. sigei (India) belong to this clade; accordingly, we therefore remove them from Icaronycteridae. Taken in sum, our results indicate that Green River bats represent a separate chiropteran radiation of basal bats, and provide additional support for the hypothesis of a rapid radiation of bats on multiple continents during the early Eocene.

Fig 4. Remaining deposits of Fossil Lake sediments of the Green River Formation are illustrated in gray with highly-fossiliferous, deep-water, laminated limestone deposits of Eocene Fossil Lake in southwest Wyoming and poorly-fossiliferous, shallow-water, non-laminated limestones in northeast Utah and southeast Idaho.

Eleven of more than 20 fossil quarries are still active today. Three active quarries (A, B and D) and one inactive quarry (C) have produced fossil bats currently held in public institutions. All other historic and active quarry locations are marked by small black dots. American Fossil Quarry (A) yielded I. gunnelli (AMNH.FM.145747 and ROM.52666), I. index (AMNH.FM.125000 and AMNH.FM.144215), I. cf index (WDC-CGR-115) and O. finneyi (AMNH.FM.142467 and ROM.55351). Thompson Ranch north quarry (B) yielded I. index (FMNH.PM.62096 and HMNS.PV.001468). The Holland brother’s quarry (C) was active for only one season in the mid-1930s and yielded I. index (YPM-PU.18150). The Smith Hollow quarry (D) yielded a poorly preserved and unidentified specimen (FOBU13777). Most bat specimens were recovered from two quarries operating continuously since the 1980s in nearshore deposits. A combination of proximity to the eastern shore and a large volume of rock excavated is the most probable explanation for the greater number of bat fossils being discovered in those locations.

There is much more in the paper; Who want to find a first?
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
OpalSpectrum

Re: The Green River Formation gives us new old bats

Post by OpalSpectrum »

I don't know why but it's cute lol
btw. i always wonder how things don't change for millions of years :roll:

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<