Conk wood from Nevada

Get an expert to answer all your Opal and Gemstone questions.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

Mila

Conk wood from Nevada

Post by Mila »

PinkDiamond

Re: Conk wood from Nevada

Post by PinkDiamond »

That one's definitely got some POCs with gorgeous colors in the cells, Mila. Another great score for you. :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Cute piece. Did you find it for sale or do an auction? I always keep my eyes open wherever people are selling stuff for what i am an expert in. I dare say a lot of treasure ended up in the landfills from survivors thinking it was a rock or gravel. You could tell which person was driving the truck a man or woman by what sex of good things were being thrown away at the landfill.
We can seal the woods so any of those little cracks never let a chip fall out. It polishes right off the top of the opal leaving a natural germ surface, not sticking. You can tell if it was treated by the contact line of wood/matrix to opal with a 10x loupe. If it was CA glued, the edge breaks away microscopically from the opal to check.
Why treat? It seals all the cavities, cracks and makes the wood darker as if wet. Down side, Some opal is hydrophane and the CA will "kill" the POC.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
Mila

Post by Mila »

SwordfishMining wrote:Cute piece. Did you find it for sale or do an auction? I always keep my eyes open wherever people are selling stuff for what i am an expert in. I dare say a lot of treasure ended up in the landfills from survivors thinking it was a rock or gravel. You could tell which person was driving the truck a man or woman by what sex of good things were being thrown away at the landfill.
We can seal the woods so any of those little cracks never let a chip fall out. It polishes right off the top of the opal leaving a natural germ surface, not sticking. You can tell if it was treated by the contact line of wood/matrix to opal with a 10x loupe. If it was CA glued, the edge breaks away microscopically from the opal to check.
Why treat? It seals all the cavities, cracks and makes the wood darker as if wet. Down side, Some opal is hydrophane and the CA will "kill" the POC.

Thank you!
I bought it on Etsy but I was able to negotiate the price with the seller.
Mila

Post by Mila »

PinkDiamond wrote:That one's definitely got some POCs with gorgeous colors in the cells, Mila. Another great score for you. :)

Thank You!