some of my work

Post all non-opal carvings and creations here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

SwordfishMining

Re: some of my work

Post by SwordfishMining »

I was about to share it on Reddit in the opal group and remembered it was amber LOL. The Hippo Goddess. HIppos are the most dangerous animal to mankind in Africa bigger than a insect. Now that I think about it, Alligators & Lions were giving Hippos the run for the money killing people wise.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

SwordfishMining wrote:Neat. I will say the Youtube video has it as 100% opal in the description? Liked. Somehwhere I have a little lizard carved out of yellow opal. I admire the skill to make little well polished things. I kinda had my feeling hurt a few years ago and also lost a few pieces of hand picked rough that was basically spit at. But I assumed it was a me problem lost in translation, lost in the mail. Never did wear that piece as i consider it cursed. Not that I blame the artist at all. Hes got mad skills. I just wanted my skills of finding rough to play with appreciated. Oh well this too shall pass.
Everybody loves you when you're dead. But what you make is eternal.

thanks , I just edited it 8-) I didn't noticed before because this description is set as default since almost all my videos are 'natural opals' :lol:
btw. cool tune ;)

PinkDiamond wrote:You're right, I've never heard of her, although it sounds like she's akin to the 'Queen of Heaven' deities of various cultures, and maybe even the same deity in some places. Whether the names are interchangeable or not, I must say you did an excellent job on it, OS. How long did it take you to carve it, and was it difficult to polish? Thanks so much for sharing that with us. I didn't know you worked in amber too, so hopefully we'll be seeing more amber pieces from you in addition to your opals. :)

Yes Pink you are correct She is connected with ''Queen of Heaven Cult'' and even though Her cult is very old this tradition came from much earlier prehistoric times and cult of 'Venus Figurines' which dating back 35000-40000 years ago --- so this is 1 of the oldest tradition on Earth - but her symbolism is quite unique and a bit different from other similar deities.
I like different cultures but the ancient Egypt is probably my favourite one :roll:

sometimes i do work with Baltic Amber >> it's the 'National Gem of Poland' ;) plus it's easy to work so I like it to practice my skills
this was my 2nd full 3D carving (after the amber skull) but Her shape is quite simple ;)
I don't know how long it took me to finish it because I had some long breaks between carving sessions :lol:
my guess is maybe 24h of working hours :roll :idea: :?: but I was not in the rush
I have couple more amber projects but no time for carving :oops:

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

I cant remember exactly why they said it but I think speech came to hominids around 180,000 - 200,000 years ago. I bet imagination was around a lot longer. Knowing people, I can only imagine the treasures of skill that have gone the way of the dinosaurs. Fiber arts, wood, coloring, bone, constructions, poetry and song. Then you get to Machu Pichu and the Sphinx or Gobekli Tepe... My curiosity has no bounds when it comes to the wonder of the world and the works upon it.
The Unbelieveable:

Hmmmm, this was not the original mockumentary I saw and apparently did not analyze at the time. Gaggle does serve up what it wants (my new moiniker for the beast). I sense an anti Orange man political lean in the narrator here, but only a fool lets politics or religion or even language, interfere with knowledge. It was on Netflix.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"