Sundog and mirage

What's going on out there?

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

Mila

Sundog and mirage

Post by Mila »

Two days ago I observed two atmospheric optic phenomena together. One was a common sundog. The other one was a much rarer mirage or even Fata Morgana of distant Ireland. The horizon was hazy, but you still can see how the shape of the islands is changing due to a mirage:

I sent the link to the vide to Dr. Young.

Here is what Dr. Young writes about the Display:

”Very nice! Here, the duct appears bright in the early stages, when
the Sun was still fairly high and illuminating the haze trapped below
the inversion that creates the duct. Then, as the Sun approaches the
horizon, the direct sunlight is gradually overwhelmed by the diffuse
light of the sky above, and the contrast between the duct and the air
above it fades away.

The sundog is a bonus! I liked the way you zoomed out to show the
geometry of the sundog, the Sun, and the duct; and then zoomed back in
to show the multiple images of the islands. Good examples!”
SwordfishMining

Re: Sundog and mirage

Post by SwordfishMining »

Cool. We get cold inversions where I live that lense the light. Crystal clear too with the dry air.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Way cool, Mila, and you were smart to send the video to Dr. Young. Thanks for sharing that with us. I don't go outside much, and we've got trees well over 100' tall plus mountains around us that block a good portion of the sky, but I'm wondering if my polarized sunglasses keep me from noticing such things when I do get out, although they don't happen every day anyway, so my chances of seeing one are probably next to nil, but I wonder if the glasses block such phenomena or make them harder to notice.
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Mila

Post by Mila »

PinkDiamond wrote:Way cool, Mila, and you were smart to send the video to Dr. Young. Thanks for sharing that with us. I don't go outside much, and we've got trees well over 100' tall plus mountains around us that block a good portion of the sky, but I'm wondering if my polarized sunglasses keep me from noticing such things when I do get out, although they don't happen every day anyway, so my chances of seeing one are probably next to nil, but I wonder if the glasses block such phenomena or make them harder to notice.

Thanks.
Polarized sunglasses should make sundog more apparent. However, sundogs are not seen, when the sun is very high. So, trees and mountains could obstruct your view.
Mila

Post by Mila »

SwordfishMining wrote:Cool. We get cold inversions where I live that lense the light. Crystal clear too with the dry air.

Thanks!
For me, it is often hazy, but sometimes I do get a clear horizon

BTW have you heard about the Titanic mirage theory?
What do you think?
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I think it's entirely possible, and for any who aren't familiar with the theory, check this out.

PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Mila

Post by Mila »

Well, it is what the author hoped for. I mean he hoped that the vast majority of people have never seen any mirage, except maybe so called hot road mirage, do not realize that on the ocean mirages occur only at the horizon, that the iceberg could not have been seen at the horizon anyway because the night was moonless and because the ocean was dead calm. Anyway...
It is entirely impossible that a mirage, even if the conditions for mirages were right, which they probably were not, had any effect whatsoever on the outcome of the tragedy.

In the video you linked to they were using hot road mirage, which has absolutely nothing to do with the mirages seen over the ocean.