Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

crazy8s

Re: Its sure cold!

Post by crazy8s »

:o
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Oh wow, I've never seen light pillars before, thanks for sharing that with us Rock! I'm glad to hear you'll get some relief from the wicked cold this week. Last night was a delightfully warm 51º when I went to bed, but the temp steadily dropped overnight and we're to be in the 30's today. I was glad to see the warmth yesterday so the huge ice frisbee I pulled out of the tub of water I keep on the deck for critters finally melted. It was a good 6" thick when I pulled it out and stood it up on the deck, and now it's gone. :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

They do make nice blocks don't they? My yard has an assortment of bucket blocks as i throw them in the shade. Our Chinook meted all the first ones of this year and today I get to start again. I also spaced taking to 2 5 gallon jugs out of the truck last night after I got back from a flea bath, not mine - I was digging a hole deeper into a creek bottom to soak in after rearranging the sitting rock back over to one bank. I think I do more work there than soaking to tell the truth, but its gratifying, and cardio, and a soak before leaving. Dog is not impressed. She is not the swimmer & hunt the far side the hybrids were. No, the flea bath does not eliminate the red bug bites. I have to itch them with rubbing alcohol to kill them when i get home. Also had about 20 cows wandering around it leaving some patties too when I got there. Glad she does not roll in any fresh stuff like the Belching Shepard did (halves Chow & Belgium) Shed just be sliding off the frozen ones up there, moose poop, whatever. PS, Real cool light pillars. Today I start unwrapping my house from lights. Especially the ones with the cord running out a window. 24 degrees when i looked at it after i was impressed with the big frost crystals on everything.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
Rockranger

Post by Rockranger »

Old man winter is playing hard ball. We were +5 celcius on sat and a beautiful week earlier of above zero, after that long haul ice age cold snap. Today...freezing rain all morning caused kaos on the hwys. Semi's unable to travel up hills closing routes, it was so bad if you stopped you just slid off the road :lol: The rain never quit all day and got up to +2 celcius, now its changed to a blizzard with temps dropping to -20 celsius as I type with 50 to 80 km winds. Supposed to be -28 below by tomorrow night then get this...back up to +1 by thur. :lol:
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I don't know how people can live in such cold, Rock. We woke up to snow on Saturday morning, and early on it looked beautiful on the evergreens.

P1015120.JPG

It snowed heavily all day

P1015121.JPG

... and most of the night, dropping probably 6" on us. By the next morning my poor little cedar in the tub was bent completely over with its top touching the deck. :lol:

I wish I had gotten a shot of it but I didn't. It stayed piled up on branches and whole evergreens yesterday, which was gorgeous, and with no traffic out here it stays pristine, unlike cities, and then today we made it above freezing so most of it melted, and we're to be in the low 50's tomorrow so it should be gone soon. Quick cold snaps like that I can not only handle, but I can even enjoy them, but I"m mystified as to how Canadians can function in such cold for such a large part of the year, so my hat's off to you. :!:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Rockranger

Post by Rockranger »

I dont mind the snow it's the cold I cant stand. We dont get much of the heavy wet snow usually the dry stuff its not so hard on trees and powerlines compared to what you get. Gone in one day? I wish ;)
Living here you have a shorter life span because of the cold. :lol:
SwordfishMining

Inside dogs vs outside dogs are about doubled. i have a friend over by Fairbanks looking to retire onto the Porcupine. I wanna visit in the golden slots between ice, mud & mosquitos, then snow cone. Travel has kinda fallen off the bucket list when the money to blow didnt show. Im easy to entertain.
Rockranger

Post by Rockranger »

SwordfishMining wrote:Inside dogs vs outside dogs are about doubled. i have a friend over by Fairbanks looking to retire onto the Porcupine. I wanna visit in the golden slots between ice, mud & mosquitos, then snow cone. Travel has kinda fallen off the bucket list when the money to blow didnt show. Im easy to entertain.
A bucket list trip to the Yukon in the summer " no snow for me" :lol: is a trip I would like to do. Porcupine? Isnt that on gold rush?
SwordfishMining

I never thought about it as I dont watch TV. But somewhere up there on Porcupine Cr his wifes clan has ground.
Rockranger

Post by Rockranger »

SwordfishMining wrote:I never thought about it as I dont watch TV. But somewhere up there on Porcupine Cr his wifes clan has ground.

This must be the creek you mention. Here's a clip from the first season it aired.