What's the deal with lucite and thermoplastic jewelry?

Trade news

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

What's the deal with lucite and thermoplastic jewelry?

Post by PinkDiamond »

Maybe one of y'all can explain to me why we're seeing so many types of plastic being used in jewelry these days, because it makes no sense to put diamonds in plastic in my mind, or just putting printed patterns in plastic and passing them off as anything but costume jewelry, although the prices in the second article do reflect the use of low-budget materials in them, but they're still too high for plastic and gold-plated brass. I have 2 articles I'm putting under this heading for you so you'll know what I mean; one of Stephanie Gottlieb's thermoplastic and gemstone bracelets from JCK, and the other being Alison Lou's plastic 'jelly' hoops from National Jeweler, and you'll need to use the link at the end of that one to see the other colors and sizes of the hoops. Maybe my question should actually be 'why would trade publications feature plastic jewelry when there are so many designers of fine jewelry in precious metals they could have featured instead?' Anybody got a clue? :?:

Stephanie Gottlieb Debuts Torque, Plus a One-Off Bracelet to Benefit Gyrl Wonder
By Brittany Siminitz | May 21, 2021

"A special one-of-a-kind bracelet from jeweler Stephanie Gottlieb will be available for purchase on Tuesday, May 25, with 100% of its proceeds going to Gyrl Wonder.

The bracelet, dubbed Hope, features a 3.02 ct. oval-shape pink spinel set in 18k rose gold, surrounded by 100 full-cut pink sapphires. “Pink spinel is believed to be cleansing and helps make room for positivity in your life,” says Gottlieb. “We thought that the symbolism here really spoke to the Gyrl Wonder mission.”

Gyrl Wonder seeks to empower women of color between the ages of 17 and 23 to build their interests and passions into a career, by partnering with brands to provide support through entry-level opportunities. Gyrl Wonder utilizes its programming, community service, mentorship, and flagship initiative, the Gyrl Wonder Leadership Academy, to equip young women with the tools they need to excel.

“We started working with Gyrl Wonder last summer, and it has been a pleasure to partner with them over the last year,” says Gottlieb. “Our most recent collaboration was a fireside chat for their members, where we focused on how to successfully build a business. As a business owner and entrepreneur, it’s my honor and pleasure to be able to pay it forward, to inspire young women to get excited about the world of jewelry!”

White Torque bracelet in 14k rose gold with black diamond, $425

Black Torque bracelet in 14k yellow gold with emerald and diamonds, $900

... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... eb-torque/

Piece of the Week: Alison Lou x LoveShackFancy Jelly Hoops

"Ah, simpler times. After enduring more than a year of a global pandemic, it’s become abundantly clear why 1990s and early 2000s nostalgia is so prevalent across fashion and culture (hello, “Friends” reboot).

The trappings of youth—AOL dial-up internet, Spice Girls and renting a movie at Blockbuster video—all are comforting reminders of an era that feels familiar and certain because, well, we’ve lived it.

If there’s one accessory that instantly transports us, in Proustian fashion, to our Nanopet- and Tamagotchi-toting days, it’s the jelly sandal, which we wore in a variety of rainbow-tinged hues to match our friends’ shoes.

In 2018, Alison Lou transformed shoppers’ love of a throwback into jewelry courtesy of her “Jelly Hoops,” which boasted all the feel-good childhood associations in a flattering, wearable lucite hoop earring.

Dubbed “Loucite,” the Jelly Hoops scream warm weather.

In time for this summer, the latest Loucite hoops are a collaboration with LoveShackFancy, the clothing line that knows a thing or two about mining the past for modern inspiration, championing vintage-inspired prints in effervescent dresses.

The Alison Lou x LoveShackFancy Jelly Hoops come in two sizes, and three floral prints, all plucked straight from the latter’s dresses.

The “Piece of the Week” medium hoop earrings pictured at top are made of lucite and 14-karat gold-plated brass, and sell for ... "

https://nationaljeweler.com/articles/98 ... elly-hoops
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: What's the deal with lucite and thermoplastic jewelry?

Post by SwordfishMining »

Weight, Kitsch?
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
rocks2dust

Post by rocks2dust »

No clue. Perhaps similar to the fondness for stinky Celluloid and Bakelite early thermoplastic costume jewelry from the first half of the 20th century? Or maybe 3D printing, polymer clays, and similar newer products making crafting in plastic more accessible? Regardless, with the world drowning in tidal waves of toxic plastic and its by-products, you'd think it would be a turn-off for most of the market similar to animals raised in inhumane conditions for fur products. Plastic is temporary - it does not last over time, and some of the stuff being used can actually react to harm stones, metals, and other stuff set into it or stored with it in one's jewelry box.
r2d

surplus odds and ends that I have on ebid.net
· Xtra gemstones
· Xcess fossils, minerals and rough
· Everything else
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I hadn't even thought about plastic being the bane of society, even though I click through to a website where they remove plastic from the ocean after you answer a question every day, so there's another reason to dislike them. But I wasn't even aware that some of the materials could harm metals and gems set in them, so thanks for the thoughtful reply r2d. Makes sense to me, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about them.
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)