Gemstone Marketing: Ammolite and Andalusite

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

a publication of the International School of Gemology 24 July 2015

As part of our ISG Journey Thru Gemology program, we are embarking on a mission to provide the ISG Global Community with colored gemstone marketing support in preparation for the upcoming Holiday Season. Each week we will take two gemstones from our ISG Colored Gemstones course and provide you with important information about the gemstones that will help you prepare for better sales and more profits. At the ISG we care about your success and hope this weekly outreach through the ISG Journey Thru Gemology is of benefit to your business success.

This week we look at Ammolite and Andalusite. We invite you to study and share this information below, and we look forward to assisting you to have the most successful and profitable Holiday Selling Season ever! ISG

Image Ammolite
Image What color is it?: As you can see above ammolite is a beautiful rainbow of colors from intense blue/greens to very fine orange/reds. At left you see what is considered the finest color of ammolite, the beautiful intense red color. Although most ammolites will offer a variety of spectral colors as they are rotated in the light, those with dominant red colors are considered the most prized and most valuable.

Image What is the story behind this gemstone?: This is an organic stone that, in spite of its name and origin, is not a true fossil gem material like amber. Instead, the shell from the ancient ammonite has been compressed to the point that the calcium carbonate has been recrystallized to form a new material called aragonite. For most of you this will not be important, but for gemologists you will want to take note of this fact later on. For consumers, think of it as nature taking something old and beautiful, and making it into something new and beautiful that only occurs in one place and in one method.

Image Can I wear it everyday?: Yes, if the gem is set in a triplet mounting. These gems are very fragile in their native state as shown by the photograph at left being sold on eBay, so they must be set between a layer of what is generally black onyx on bottom and clear quartz on top. With these protective materials set with the gem ammolite you can wear it almost anywhere with the usual care and caution for any rare gem material.

Image Is it expensive?: Generally yes. The finer qualities will be quite expensive. This is a very, very rare and unusual gem material. So be prepared to pay dearly for a nice color piece of good size. The ammolite in the photograph at left measures approx. 1 inch long and costs approx. US$200.00 on the retail market. Larger pieces will be even higher on a per item basis.

Is it a birthstone?: No.

What do I need to know before going shopping?: Do not expect to find this gemstone is just any jewelry store. You will need to find a store who deals in exotic gemstones, and/or one who has a qualified gemologist on staff who can make sure you are getting the real thing. It may take a while for your local jeweler to find you some nice stones to choose from. But be patient. This is something that no one else on your street will own so make sure you get a good one.

Image General Information

Raw fossilized ammonite straight from the ground showing orient of ammolite in shell. Note the very thin shell layer.

Source: The finest are from Alberta, Canada

Chemical: CaCO2 (calcium carbonate)

Formation: Found in rare strata of fossilized ammonite beds in ancient sea floors which have been uplifted to the Canadian highlands.

Crystal System: None

Unusual Properties: Very fine orient or pearlessence.

Image Treatments: Examples of fake ammolite are starting to show up on the market. As seen at right, this is an ammolite with a large created red area that can be identified by the fact that the colors do not alter when rotated under the light. Since red is the most valuable color someone used a red dye in the top clear coating material of this stone to make it appear to have a dominant red color.
What color is it?: As shown by the photograph above, andalusite is a combination of two to three colors, depending on how you view it. The two dominant colors are green and brown as shown above, but later down this page I will show you something very unusual about this stone.

Image What is the story behind this gemstone?: This gemstone is a bit like tanzanite in that it shows two very distinct colors at the same time. The difference is that andalusite shows brown and green, rather than blue and purple of tanzanite. But the ability of any gemstone to split a single beam of light into these two very different colors that your eye can actually see is very, very rare in the gemstone world. At left you see one of our andalusites viewed from each side of a London Dichroscope allowing us to see the two separate colors being generated by this amazing gemstone.

Can I wear it everyday?:
Yes, andalusite is a very durable gemstone for wear.

Is it expensive?:
It can be. A fine quality andalusite can be a bit difficult to find and a bit pricey when you do. But it is well worth the effort and the price. There is nothing else like it in the gemstone world, and you will certainly have something no one else on the block owns.

Is it a birthstone?: No

What do I need to know before going shopping?: Just be sure to call ahead. This is not a gemstone that many jewelers will carry. But the stones are available so don't hesitate to ask.

Image General Information

Source: Brazil, Sri Lanka, Canada, Russia, USA

Chemical: Al2SiO5 aluminum silicate

Formation: In pegmatite dikes and granite rocks

Crystal System: Orthorhombic

Unusual Properties: Extreme pleochroism unlike any other gemstone

Treatments or Lab Created: None known at this time.

We hope this information is of service to our ISG Global Community. Please send us recommendations and suggestions to help us make this a better and more profitable service for you. Use this link to contact us: Contact the ISG http://www.schoolofgemology.com/Contact_the_ISG.html

If you have problems viewing the images, join us in the ISG Global Community Forums to see the complete article. http://www.schoolofgemology.com/ISGComm ... Andalusite

Some information above is from our home website: http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php ... logist.com, a free access learning and sharing website open to everyone.

Visit the ISG at http://www.schoolofgemology.com.
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
kjsspot

Re: Gemstone Marketing: Ammolite and Andalusite

Post by kjsspot »

Interesting read!
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
Lydia

Post by Lydia »

On the subject of ammolite, my understanding regarding colour is the opposite of what was stated. Red is quite common in ammolite and blues/purples are not; and so are rarer and more expensive. The opposite of how opals would be looked at.
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

I heard the same thing Lydia. :)
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

cool info thanks Pink

I agree with Lydia and 8's = blue is rare ...and I saw many with red color although I don't really know to much about this stuff > I like the look a lot but because it's mostly treated I don't like it ;)

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
Rockranger

Post by Rockranger »

I'm sorta surprised they mention red as rare also? It is the most common color found in it. Purple and blue seem to be the hardest to find.
My filet migon must be worth a fortune it's double sided, I'm just dreaming. :) I really do appreciate my collection and always room for more.

crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

:shock: :o beautiful LARGE piece :!: