Collecting guide: the jewels of Harry Winston

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Here's a veritable feast of gorgeous pieces for the eyes, and you can not only see Harry Winston jewels in the article, but also guides on Cartier jewels, Van Cleef and Arpels, Bulgari and Tiffany that can be accessed at the bottom of the page. The jewels are magnificent, but the pics wouldn't win any awards :lol: , and I'll cut it off just after I show you my favorite piece, which I love because the drops look like little angels. 8-)

We examine the glittering legacy of Harry Winston, the New York jeweller dubbed the ‘King of Diamonds’ — illustrated with lots offered at Christie’s

"American jeweller Harry Winston (1896-1978) founded Harry Winston Inc. in 1932 in New York City. Over the course of his dazzling career, Winston handled some of the world’s most famous diamonds, coloured gemstones and pieces of fine jewellery, earning himself a reputation as ‘The King of Diamonds’.

An important diamond ring. Estimate: HK$6,800,000-9,500,000. Offered in Hong Kong Magnificent Jewels on 26 November 2019 at Christie’s in Hong Kong

A ruby and diamond ring, Harry Winston. Estimate: HK$80,000-120,000. Offered in Hong Kong Magnificent Jewels on 26 November 2019 at Christie’s in Hong Kong

From the 1950s through to the 1970s, his boutiques were the destination of choice for royalty, Hollywood stars and business moguls alike. Acknowledged as a visionary in the field for his pursuit of excellence, Harry Winston’s combination of passion, discretion, intuition and knowledge was greatly appreciated by his high-profile and discerning clientele.

A sapphire and diamond ring, Harry Winston. Estimate: HK$4,800,000-6,500,000. Offered in Hong Kong Magnificent Jewels on 26 November 2019 at Christie’s in Hong Kong

An important diamond necklace, Harry Winston. Heart, marquise, pear and circular-cut diamonds, the front seven heart brilliant-cut diamonds, platinum, 44.0 cm, signed Winston. Estimate: HK$3,800,000-5,800,000. Offered in Hong Kong Magnificent Jewels on 26 November 2019 at Christie’s in Hong Kong

Jeweller to the stars

Harry Winston started dressing celebrities as early as 1935, the year that he purchased the 726-carat diamond, The Jonker. Winston took the rough gem on a tour of the USA and had it photographed with famous actresses, including Claudette Colbert and Shirley Temple. The Jonker was subsequently cut into 13 very important stones, numbered I to XIII. The Jonker V (below) was sold at Christie’s in Geneva in 2019 for £3,015,000.

The Jonker V, Harry Winston. Sold for CHF 3,015,000 on 15 May 2019 at Christie’s in Geneva

Winston was also the first jeweller to dress a celebrity for an Academy Awards show. In 1944 he loaned diamond jewellery to actress Jennifer Jones, who had been nominated for her role in The Song of Bernadette. Harry Winston jewellery has graced the red carpet ever since.

In Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Marilyn Monroe sang Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend, which includes the lyric: ‘Talk to me Harry Winston, tell me all about it.’

An impressive diamond fringe necklace, by Harry Winston. Sold on 15 November 2016 at Christie’s in Geneva

The Court of Jewels tour (1949-1953) ... "

https://www.christies.com/features/A-gu ... 191-1.aspx
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Artfldgr

Re: Collecting guide: the jewels of Harry Winston

Post by Artfldgr »

An ex girlfriend used to shop at harrys... social register deb...
funny, mom and sis are still friends with her, but i havent spoken with her for decades
now i am married, why would I

but it certainly was fun going upstairs in harry winstons store near the plaza
crazy8s

Re: Collecting guide: the jewels of Harry Winston

Post by crazy8s »

Thanks Pink :!: :D