Santa came early!

Discussion and pictures of your favorite critters!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Santa came early!

Post by PinkDiamond »

For many years I have had money put aside for a toy-size puppy, and I've been trying to find Maltese breeders for years, but only found shysters who wanted money, but couldn't even give the flight the dog was to be on, so I started searching less and less, but around Thanksgiving, something made me search again, and this time I found one right here in AR, and she had just had a litter born the day before Thanksgiving. I told her I wanted the smallest one, and preferably with a shorter snout than most Maltese, so she said I might want to take a look at a litter of Malshish, which she bred from a Maltese male and a female Shih Tzu, which is the other breed she specializes in. She sent me a few pics, and there was one that had the exact expression and face I have been dreaming of, and captured my heart. Image

This trip was a comedy of errors, so I'm going to share some of the events that happened on Thursday morning, when my best friend Kim and I set out for Waldron before 9:30am, relying on the GPS in her phone, on which she didn't know how to activate the audio. So I was trying to navigate, but never used a GPS before, and with things flying by so quickly at 70mph, following the route without audio instructions proved to be a problem, so we ended up having to turn around 2 or 3 times, but eventually we made it there just over 4 hours later, and it was worth the trip, even just to see her farm and all the babies in the kennel. She grows her own food, both produce and animals, and she has a horse, a few cows, a goat, sheep, chickens and ducks ... it was my kind of place! We spent an hour and a half there, and even had fresh baked cookies before setting out for home with my new puppy, a female I named Shiloh in my lap. :D

All went well, until there was again a question about reading what the GPS was saying, so she pulled over near a house with a horseshoe driveway, and after stopping, tried to pull a bit further forward to be entirely off the road, and that's when it happened.

Turns out the front driver's side wheel was right at a culvert we couldn't see over the front of the car, so when she tried to inch forward a bit, that wheel fell into the culvert, leaving the rear passenger wheel over 18" off the ground. :shock: Image

Here we were, in the middle of nowhere in rural Arkansas, staring at the car in disbelief. So she went up to the house and knocked, and of course a huge redneck opened the door. It was windy and cold, probably around 40º that far south, with intermittent rain, and he came right out without a coat to take a look, and proceeded to call a friend with a truck that was nearby, telling him that this blonde's car was in the culvert, even though I wasn't driving. :lol: But before he finished the call, a pickup with a redneck couple in it pulled over, got out, grabbed a chain and a strap from the back, since they didn't know which would work in our situation, and they pulled us out of there in less than 10 minutes, so after thanking them all profusely, we were back on the road in about 15 minutes. Ya can't get that from a towing service, and I marveled at how amazing it is that the Lord always has angels standing by when you need them, some of which show up in redneck packaging. :mrgreen:

We got 'lost' again, but finally made our way up to Ft Smith where we enjoyed a very late lunch with Kim's daughter and son-in-law, and I got to meet her beautiful new grandson who just turned 2 months old, before heading back toward Fayetteville after dark; but once again, the silent GPS got us even worse in the pitch blackness, with signs and lane changes going by so quickly we suddenly found ourselves in Oklahoma. :lol:

Back to Ft Smith where we called her daughter from a parking lot, who just happened to be heading north that evening with the baby, so she met us in the parking lot and led us through the maze toward familiar ground. We didn't get back here until around 9pm; the estimated 6 to 7 hour trip taking 12 hours, and she still had an hour plus to drive home. :?

Friends like that don't grow on trees, believe me, and I couldn't ask for a better one, she was such a trooper. :)

Steve wasn't really wanting me to get another animal, much less a puppy, but even he had to smile when he saw Shiloh, and before long he said I picked a really good one, and said she was 'condensed cuteness'. :lol:

She's definitely a lap dog, and for only 2 months old is doing very well with the training, using a peepee pad since she won't be going outside because she could end up being a tasty morsel that a raptor could pick up and carry off, so she'll only be outside when I'm carrying her most likely. At night I was worried she'd pee on the bed, so I put a pad under her and kept checking, and I put her down to do her thing when I got up during the night, and every time she went right to the pad, used it, and got put back on the bed, so for 3 nights now she's been able to sleep with me without me having to do laundry in the morning. :!: :lol:

Taz, on the other hand, isn't too happy about this at all because she growls and barks at him; but he's getting used to it and has started ignoring it instead of fleeing from a dog ¼th his size. :lol:

So here's my precious new bundle of joy, and believe me, Shiloh really brings it. Unlike the Chows, the male of which I used to call Lumpy Dumb Dog because they're not the brightest, Shiloh is as smart as a whip, and learns really fast, much faster than I would have thought, and she surprised me when I realized she had learned her new name already by Friday morning. She immediately turns to me when I say it, and she already understands when I hold up my index finger and tell her to wait for me, which she does now, and also when I tell her no, although she tries to act as if she doesn't hear that as long as she can get away with it. Oh yeah, she's just a bit over 3½ pounds, and she allows me to put clothes on her as if she's been wearing them her whole 2 months of life. Y'all might even see me captioning pics of her that I put on the cheezburger site. :lol:

Condensed cuteness really does say it all about his little one, and I just decided that will be my first caption of one I do of her. My little angel is right next to me, asleep on the arm of the recliner right now, but when this little one plays, she plays hard and we have a great time. She's a hoot, and y'all have just got to see this!!! :mrgreen:

P1014771.JPG

P1014763.JPG

P1014768.JPG

P1014761.JPG
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: Santa came early!

Post by SwordfishMining »

Thanks for the tale of GPS. My trip south with Curt was similar with me trying to watch signs with the auto dimming headlights reacting to the signs. You have your work cut out for you teaching her what she has to do to try and train her trainer. The old boy will come around. Give Taz a lovin".
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
MoDo

Post by MoDo »

She is so cute!! And quite the funny adventure you had to pick her up! Enjoy!! :D
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

Oh MY :D 8-)
mehoose

Post by mehoose »

Oh she's adorable Pink!
Howz Shiloh going now?
Artfldgr

Post by Artfldgr »

yay!!!
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

She's doing great, 'hoose, and Steve is quite taken with her and always wants to call her to him. Taz has recently started playing with her, although he stopped running weeks ago, but now I see her jump on his back, and he'll turn around and jump on hers, and he outweighs her by quite a bit, and then occasionally I'll hear her yelp when he's had enough of her bouncing all over him and beans her off the noggin. :lol:

She went the whole first month sleeping on the bed with no issues, and then one day her timing was off, and I had to wash all the bedclothes, including the down comforter, and since it has happened twice since then, she now wears a diaper to bed just to make sure I'm not waking up to find I have my work cut out for me for the day again. Image

We got some snow, so I put her out on the deck in her bear sweater to see what she would do, but just like when there's no snow, she sat down and refused to budge an inch. Since she doesn't go outside to potty, and is trained to go on the pads (99% of the time), the outside is a big scary place, and no amount of coaxing will get her to move. :roll:

Check out the bear on her sweater :lol:

ShilohInSnow.JPG

You've heard of Blackbeard? She's snowbeard. :lol:

ShilohWithSnowBeard.JPG

I found an adorable pet stroller and snagged it at 1/3 its original price, so he paid for it from him for Christmas since I paid for Shiloh myself. I'll have to put her in her chariot to get a shot of it for you. It's too cute, and even has a small basket on the bottom to put items in in stores, or just things for her. I put a toy in there with her and she does fine most of the time, but the little brat managed to get the front panel unzipped from the inside on the first walk I took here on the gravel one day, that I didn't notice until I looked down through the roof screen, puzzled because I thought I saw her head on the outside of the stroller, and sure enough, she jumped out, and of course she sat down immediately because that's what she does outside. I have since made sure the zippers can't be moved from the inside. Image

I switched from disposable diapers when I saw her go over a week without soiling them, and now I use washable diapers that I add an extra pad to that's disposable, and thankfully she hasn't pooped in the diaper ... yet. Image

Her sweater still fits her, but it getting a bit shorter as she grows some, and I found the best brush for her is a hairbrush like I use, since the grooming brushes pull on knots in her hair with no undercoat to brush out. I give her blueberries every day, and her face gets lavender color all over it, so I'm thinking of just dipping her in blueberry juice and having a lavender puppy, or I can use beet juice if I want her in pink. Wadda ya think? :mrgreen:
PinkDiamond

mehoose

Post by mehoose »

:lol: I think puppy will get a complex! :lol: She won't know if she's a haminal, shrub or vegie! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Looking forward to the transport shot....this pooch is spoiled rotten!
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

LOL! I don't think she's bright enough to wonder. :lol:

The stroller has 2 cupholders attached to the handle, which is nice, and there's a screen on the back of it which is visible in the second photo, so she can see me; plus there's a flap over the screen on top with velcro to keep it closed in the rain or blazing sun, and it went together very easily. Also, it rolls and steers quite easily, and does fairly well on the rocks on the gravel road, but the ride is too bumpy for her, like riding the bike on them is for me, so I don't take her for walks in it here as I had hoped to.
ShilohChariot.JPG

ShilohChariotFront.JPG

She has diapers in hot pink and purple for when she goes out, but at night she wears the plain old black one, and doesn't seem to mind it. It's also very easy to put on her with the velcro tabs instead of pins.
ShilohDiaper.JPG

I got an ultrasonic corrector that automatically activates if incessant barking is detected, but found out right away that I can't use it when Steve's around. :roll: When he blows his nose in public, I always tell people, 'that's the sound of the wild Canadian bull moose' Image because he's so loud, and sure enough, I noticed he set off the corrector when Shiloh wasn't barking, so it's only useful when he's not around, even though he's often the cause of the barking when I need it. Figures, doesn't it? :?
PinkDiamond

SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

The best laid plans of mice an men as they say. You can make two shoulder straps and carry the whole thing on your back. Funny about the bark activator. I never used deer whistles they try to sell to everybody as i figured the car would be a torture chamber for a dog that had to listen to them the entire way. Same thing with those ultrasonic mosquito repellers or the rat or mice repellers. Same frequencies as a dog whistle.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"