Blue sapphire color change...

Direct your non-opal, gemstone chatter here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

m76steve

Blue sapphire color change...

Post by m76steve »

I was looking at blue sapphire and noticed an article on blue sapphire, most of this material because of the slow growth and elements of Fe & Mg grown into the stones will not glow in the UV light, in untreated material. I have 2 stones, pretty good quality, untreated & good color with no effect in the UV. I have a loose 2ct sapphire that shows this rare condition, untreated, good color, SI, but does show a color change to red. This is a rare condition not seen too much in this color sapphire- :?: :shock: 8-) [pics are in daylight & UV]
IMG_9829+.JPG
IMG_9830+.JPG
PinkDiamond

Re: Blue sapphire color change...

Post by PinkDiamond »

I love the color under UV light and would want it showing that color all the time so I'd need a UV light built into the stone permanently. :lol:

Nice find m76! I never tried putting any of my sapphires under UV light. Maybe I should just for the helluvit to see if any react, although I don't expect them to. Now that you know that one's special, do you have any plans for it? :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
m76steve

Post by m76steve »

Pink, check ur stones to see if any react under UV, i read this is a rare condition & might add some value to the stone, as reported by Richard, this is unusual for a blue sapphire to react as this, in the flesh the stone appears reddish purple & glows about as good as a ruby, not quite as intense- :?: :?: :? 8-)
Artfldgr

Post by Artfldgr »

nice...
all kinds of stuff reacts to UV... thats a whole collecting area in itself

I have 365nm light... does a great job at UV tasks.