How to Measure an OTL Gemstone Refractive Index

Post your mystery gemstones here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I've never heard of this approach to reading OTL refractive indexes, but from what this says, it's quite accurate, and he goes through all the steps to show you how to set up your microscope with a digital caliper, although I'm not so sure I want to disassemble mine to try this. So if anyone does, please tell us how the build went, and whether or not you recommend this method. Enjoy! :)

by Dr. Raul Berenguel, PhD.

Figure 1: A microscope adapted for measuring OTL gemstone RIs.

"A gemstone with a refractive index (RI) reading that exceeds 1.81 is said to be “over the limit” (OTL). Low-cost refractometers can’t detect the highest or lowest RI values found in gemstones. As a result, you also couldn’t find the birefringence value of these gems.

You could use refraction liquids with RIs higher than 1.81, but these have numerous drawbacks, including toxicity. Other options include using a more expensive electronic refractometer. For singly refractive gems, you could also use a micrometric scale and your microscope. This comes in handy for separating diamonds from simulants, such as yttrium aluminum garnet (YAG), cubic zirconia (CZ), gadolinium gallium garnet (GGG), and even glass.

Using a Micrometric Scale and Microscope to Measure OTL Refractive Indices

Adding a micrometric scale to your microscope can be a great help. F.S.H. Tisdall and B.W. Anderson (BSc, FGA, FKC) used this technique to measure RIs over 1.81 (without limits). However, its principal application is for either singly refractive gems or uniaxial doubly refractive gems. For the former, under good conditions and if the gem isn’t too small, you can obtain an RI with better than 0.02 accuracy. You can also use this technique for determining the depth of an inclusion.

In the 1980s, gemologists utilized this technique by applying a small ruler and a vernier scale to a microscope. Nowadays, we can use digital calipers. Instead of taking measurements down to 0.1 mm (0.004 inch) with the vernier, you can reach 0.01 mm (0.0004 inch) with accuracy even better than ±0.02. You also have the advantage of zeroing the caliper in any position.

How to Upgrade Your Microscope

Let’s apply these concepts. For this upgrade, you’ll need

* A digital caliper.
* Two screws.
* A few bolts.
* An L-shaped piece of metal.

Remember, this is only a guideline. Since each microscope has its own shape, dimensions, etc, some parts could interfere with the displacement of the digital reader or its position.

For this upgrade, you’ll probably spend about $20. (You don’t need an expensive caliper). Figure 1 at the top of this article shows the general aspect of this adaptation.

Positioning the Caliper

Before you begin, carefully study how you’ll attach your caliper to your microscope. Keep in mind that you want the caliper to move with the displacement of the objectives when focusing. Consider several different plans. Don’t attempt the first idea you have. Be sure your adaptation will keep your caliper absolutely vertical and horizontal in relation to the planes of the microscope.

In my case, I did two trials before getting it right. You’ll likely find that the best way to work with the caliper is to place it in an upside-down position. This will give you negative numbers. However, this is irrelevant, since you’ll take them as positive values.

Caliper Cutting Advice

After the assembly, you must cut off some parts of the caliper. (Figure 2 shows the parts I had to cut in my case). If you have a mini-drill with cutting discs, use it. If you don’t have your own drill, have a metalwork shop cut the parts for you

Never cut the metal parts of your caliper without removing the reader first. The heat necessary for cutting the metal will ruin the reader’s electronics.

Figure 2: I had to remove all the parts marked with an “X” from my caliper.

Be careful when you disassemble your caliper. Do it step-by-step and make sure you understand where each piece belongs. For example, every caliper has a small, curved copper strip inside. It serves as a tension strip and is connected to a retention pin.

You can see the final result in Figure 3. Note the hole I made in the outer large jaw. It’s about 3.5 mm (0.138 inch). That will serve as passage for a 3 mm (0.118 inch) screw.

Figure 3: My disassembled caliper.

Aligning the Horizontal and Vertical Axes

The top of the caliper remains untouched because it will serve to perfectly align the horizontal and vertical axes. See Figure 4.

Figure 4: The caliper aligns with the base of the microscope.

Of course, after careful positioning, mark the point where you’ll drill a threaded insertion for the screw. Most likely, you’ll have to add some spacing nuts between the caliper and microscope body. This will maintain some free space between the digital reader and the microscope body. See Figures 5 and 6. ... "

https://www.gemsociety.org/article/meas ... e-ri-1-81/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
bonnie

Re: How to Measure an OTL Gemstone Refractive Index

Post by bonnie »

Hi:
I have actually done this with an old scope and caliper. It does work, but not that all accurate, so you have to give yourself some flexibility using this method. This is actually described in Alan Hodgkinson's Gem Testing Techniques book.
You might also look into a Bill Hanneman designed and built little meter called "Diamond Eye". It does a fair job identifying OTL stones like diamond, moissanite, CZ, YAG, GGG and many of the colored stones. It actually measure luster. I have one and so far it has identified 100% of the stones I tested. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Bonnie Betz, AJP, RG, RGA
Bonnie Betz, EE, AJP, RG, RGA
Mid-Atlantic Gemological Lab & Appraisals
:)
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Hi, Bonnie! It's good to see you pop in, and your 2 cents is always appreciated. Bill's a great guy, and I was lucky enough to be able to speak with him, at which time I scored his last bench model of the Jeweler's Eye, and what a machine it is! It's amazingly accurate, but that's no surprise coming from Bill, and all his equipment is worth having, so I have quite a few of his inventions, as well as his books.

I hadn't thought about mentioning it, so I'm delighted you did. Thanks!!
PinkDiamond

bonnie

Post by bonnie »

Hi:
Good to read your reply and the Jewelers Eye was his and the Diamond Eye is a rendition of that. Again, it is his design, but someone else I believe built it with his approval I believe. Anyway, I have used it for some colored stones because the way it is calibrated allows for use beyond just diamonds and diamond lookalikes. This is worth the money I believe.
I eventually just put the modified microscope away in my storage area. May someday pull it out again for training purposes, who knows... Again, good to read your reply and I hope now I can add this forum to my scheduled checks during the day. The World Gem Society is taking a lot of time to bring it up to where I think it can be, so if you can see a way to advertise it here on this forum, please let me know. Here is the link www.worldgemsociety.org.

Regards,

Bonnie
Bonnie Betz, EE, AJP, RG, RGA
Mid-Atlantic Gemological Lab & Appraisals
:)
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

The only ways to advertise something on a forum that I know of are to write an ad and make it a sticky in the category you place it in so it's always at the top, and to put the links to websites you're involved with in your signature so they appear in every post you make; but if you can think of another way to do it, I'm open to hearing what else can be done. :)
PinkDiamond