Hot Gemstones for 2018: Introducing New Petrified Wood with Blue Opal

For those of you who've been involved with opals and gemstones for many years, here you can chat with your peers.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Since the article says this stuff was just discovered 10 months ago, you may not be familiar with it yet either, but you will be after this, and if you're anything like me, you've just GOT to have some! :mrgreen:

The part of the story we want is not at the top, so scroll down to where this article starts, and you'll be able see the pics of the logs they found the blue opal in and on, they discuss how it forms, and just wait until you see the finished stone! On a scale of 1 to 10, it's got a drool factor of 12 . :!: 8-)

January 19, 2018 | Author: Lexi Erickson

" This year’s new surprise stone is stunningly yummy, gemmy and rare–and it has a long name! Petrified Wood with Blue Opal and Native Copper (yes, that’s its official name) is the hot new stone for Tucson this year. Thanks to geologist Joel Ivey for his information and photos of the actual mine and the rough from which these gemstones come, and to Mark Lasater of The Clamshell for the photo of the finished cabochon.

Petrified Wood with Blue Opal was first found as pebbles and larger rounded stones (“cobbles”) in streams and near the slopes of three volcanoes in Indonesia’s West Java Province. The source deposit was finally located on the steep slopes of Mt. Tjikolak a mere 10 months ago. What the miners actually found was an ancient petrified forest (how cool is that?), which had been pushed over by the deluge of “stuff” (pyroclastic flow) from a volcanic explosion. Then, over the ages, the wood was fossilized and preserved by opaline silica. In my mind’s eye, I see all those fallen trees on the slope after the eruption of Mount St. Helens, covered with other layers of the debris of thousands of years in the future. ... "

https://www.interweave.com/article/jewe ... sonstories
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
OpalSpectrum

Re: Hot Gemstones for 2018: Introducing New Petrified Wood with Blue Opal

Post by OpalSpectrum »

really cool ,thanks for the info !
I like the color but wonder how stable is this material ?

:)

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

Those are around for a while.
Had always been expensive as only found in small quantities.
We always called them Copper intrusion Jasper as most only have a small percentage of opal (and agate) mixed in.

Here is one slab of mine
ImageHot stones 2018 by Kainzer Kurt, on Flickr
The cab from it
And one that I sadly missed out on (still hope that I eventually can get a slice of that once the seller comes back online)

In my pieces (above and others) the opal sections hold up well, and as there is no fire to be seen anywhere looks very stable.
Last edited by KKHK on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Wow, they're gorgeous. 8-)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Thanks for sharing Kurt. You have a great "eye". We'll be seeing a lot more of this as they narrowed down the deposit more.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"