Opalholic farewell: RIP jakesrocks

Anything goes!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Opalholic farewell: RIP jakesrocks

Post by PinkDiamond »

It is with a heavy heart that I share with you that Don Woodward/jakesrocks' wife called as I was coming down the stairs this morning, to tell me that Don had just passed away about an hour earlier, and she was awaiting the coroner's arrival. Ironically, I was carrying a note to make sure I wouldn't forget to call him today. :cry:

I had called him a few times, and even called her for updates on his condition. Many of you may remember that he was diagnosed with lymphatic cancer, about 1½ to 2 years ago, and because of the tumor under his right arm, he had little to no use of that arm for over a year now, which is why we've seen so little of him around here lately, although he did come back to the chat room for a few days after I alerted him to his birthday wishes this year.

His wife called me a week or so ago, saying she came back home one evening to find Don on the floor, and had to call the EMT's to put him back in his recliner. At that time, they said his vitals were good, and she got a lift for the chair to make it easier for him to get up, but that he was failing rapidly.

Something inside me told me that right after his best friend Bob's visit last week on the 26th, that Don would be leaving this world, and I knew he was just holding on to see his friend one last time, and to give him all his lapidary equipment, and his collection for Bob's new store. Linda said Don did very well that day, being bolstered by Bob's being there, but as a rule he was in so much pain he couldn't do anything, nor could he sleep at night, and was only catching catnaps brought on by pain and sheer exhaustion during the day, so although I'll miss my buddy terribly, at the same time I am grateful that he is no longer suffering.

Don was in the chat room with me every day for a good year and a half, so I got to know him better than most of my other online friends, and even told him that he and I talked more than my husband talked to me, so Don knew things that Steve didn't. :lol:

My heart goes out to his wife, and to all who knew him. Now he can collect and cut heavenly gems, and I look forward to seeing his new collection when I get there. Rest in peace, my friend. You will be sorely missed. :cry:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
PinkDiamond

Re: Opalholic farewell: RIP jakesrocks

Post by PinkDiamond »

One more thing, on a lighter note.

Don told me that he wanted to be buried face down, so anybody who didn't like him could kiss his ass! How's that for a visual image? :lol:
PinkDiamond

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I'm bumping this one to the top because apparently people aren't reading this one with all the information in it, after reading Kurt's short announcement. ;)
PinkDiamond

kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

Oh gosh darn it. :( I'm so very sorry. He was a good bloke. I've been pretty sick the last few weeks so I haven't been posting much but I have been reading a bit here and there.
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

A character to the end, RIP Don
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Farewell Don. Knew it was coming fast. Prayers for his wife, Linda. He gave a mineral collection for me to give to a budding rock hound in town. He'll not be forgotten. Make those specimen labels for your collections or a guidebook, not that Ive managed to yet.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"