Aussie opal industry back in spotlight

For those of you who've been involved with opals and gemstones for many years, here you can chat with your peers.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

This article is from last year, but from what I'm hearing, it still holds true. One of those interviewed, Dunstan, is the one who found the Virgin Rainbow, which we've shown in other threads, but I wanted to find pics of it to refresh my memory, and was surprised at the difference in how the thing shows in different lighting. It can look like a completely different opal, so after this story I'm going to post 3 shots of it that all look different from each other. It's till a wowser, no matter what kind of lighting is used, but you'll recognize the pic we've had of it here in other threads, and these pics will show it's chameleon nature. Enjoy! :)

Posted September 06, 2016 | By Lewis Dyson • Staff Journalist

Daniel Becker, left, and Justin Lang in the opal fields outside Coober Pedy. Image courtesy: The Australian, Kelly Barnes

" Australia’s opal industry has received mainstream media attention as increasing demand from the Asia, India and US markets send prices rising.

The Australian newspaper published a story about the country’s national gemstone on its front page on Saturday 3 September.

Part-time “hobby miners” Justin Lang and Daniel Becker told the newspaper what motivated them to dig for opal in the town of Coober Pedy, South Australia, where 90 per cent of Australia’s supply reportedly originates.

Perhaps more significant for the jewellery trade was the fact that the article also explored the current state of the industry. According to the report, a lack of significant opal discoveries in recent years and increased demand from China, India and the US had driven prices upwards.

The article stated that during the past 18 months, the value of “top-quality” black opal had almost doubled, with some buyers said to be paying up to $12,000 per carat.

It reported that demand for rough had led to an increase in the number of new permits issued and cited figures from the South Australian government that showed 84 new opal mining permits for the Coober Pedy fields were granted in 2015-2016, compared to ... "

http://www.jewellermagazine.com/Article ... -spotlight

The Virgin Rainbow mentioned in the article:

From hindustantimes.com

From abc.net.au

And from cnet.com
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)