Opal — Gem of Myth and Lore

For those of you who've been involved with opals and gemstones for many years, here you can chat with your peers.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Opal — Gem of Myth and Lore

Post by PinkDiamond »

Wow, I love this carving that I'll show you, and there's a loose opal, as well as an opal necklace that's gorgeous; although why the string is blaringly visible is beyond me. I think I would have used a darker color for stringing just so the white doesn't show through. :?

You're going to die laughing when you see the translation from the older text that looks like spellcheck went haywire. :lol: Check out the other opals and the translation via the link at the bottom. :)

Gemstones and Birthstones: Opal — Gem of Myth and Lore
October 31, 2017 | Author: Sharon Elaine Thompson

"If opal is your birthstone, you may have heard the myth that the stones are either unlucky to wear, or simply unlucky if they are not your birthstone. Both are, shall we say, hogwash. But if you are a collector of myths and superstitions about opals, you are very lucky. Because the changeable colors of this gemstone have contributed to a number of stories about the stone.

Opals have been thought to keep the wearer safe from disease, or to embody the spirit of truth, and to bestow the gift or prophesy. Romans believed it was the symbol of hope and purity.

This amazing 48.85 carat carving by Glenn Lehrer is cut from a solid opal and shows opal’s chameleon character to perfection. Photo by Mia Dixon, courtesy Pala International

George Frederick Kunz, in The Curious Lore of Precious Stones, quotes a translation of an older text that was made during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. It says this about opal — and looks like my typing without spell check: ... "
https://www.interweave.com/article/jewe ... HkAwjlw%3D
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)