How Julie Lamb’s Work Became a Mascot for One Close-Knit Community

Trade news

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Baaaaa. :lol:

My favorite is right above where I cut this off. Too cute. :)

By Brittany Siminitz | September 17, 2021

"In September of 2019, I had the great fortune of living just down the street from a jewelry show that was being held in Washington, D.C.: Finery Row.

There, I talked with Julie Lamb, a New York jeweler I had been admiring but had yet to meet—I was so glad when I finally did. We had a conversation that has stuck with me for the last two years, and then one day I thought, “Why on earth have I not written about this?”

So here I am, making up for lost time with what I think is just one of the coolest stories I’ve heard from a jeweler.

It’s the story of how Julie Lamb, who specializes in fine jewelry, became involved with the most unlikely group of hobbyists you could imagine: knitters.

Now, you could argue that knitters aren’t all that unlike jewelers—they create beautiful things to wear, and many of them are considered skilled artisans. But how does one designer so accustomed to showcasing at jewelry shows end up attending knitting exhibitions? It has to do with one little lamb—Julie’s last name, and a core element of her line. The lamb has since become somewhat of a mascot for the knitting community, and I recently had the chance to ask the designer a few questions about the experience.

Be Ewe Lambtag in sterling silver, $325

JCK: Give us a quick summary as to how you ended up involved with the knitting community.

Julie Lamb: When I launched social media for the brand on April Fools Day in 2015 with my Be Ewe collection, I immediately saw sheep ranchers and knitters “flock” to me. A lesson in how hashtags work!

I bet you never could have foreseen your jewelry journey leading you here. Are you a knitter yourself? Has the group inspired you?

No, this wasn’t on my radar, and much to my fiber friends’ dismay, I still haven’t picked up needles. Although we don’t share a passion for the same craft, we are still all creatives. That being said, I’ve found this community very inspiring! They are extremely enthusiastic about their work, they have fresh eyes when it comes to my line, they identify with it, and they provide the greatest feedback.

How is exhibiting at a knitting convention different from showing at a jewelry show?

Night and day, except for booth setup and bad lighting. Picture this: You’ve gathered your best buds and escaped for the weekend to stay in a hotel and attend giant ballrooms filled with all your favorite things. You’re there to learn more about your passion, meet some of the international Knitterati (“Knitfluencers”), win free stuff, feel, try, buy all the good stuff and limited-edition stuff you can’t usually get your hands on. It’s a shopping frenzy—party atmosphere from the time doors swing open!

Chubby Boyfriend ring in sterling silver and 18k yellow gold, $1,450

Have you designed any special or specific pieces for the knitters? Which of your creations are their favorites?

My Be Ewe line featuring my lovable Lamb logo is the main collection I bring out. This community is so forthcoming with insight that year over year, listening to this crowd, I’m able to design with them in mind. The overall design work is the same, but I’ve tweaked things like earring backs, ring sizes in inventory, and dialing back on the diamonds—they don’t want all that bling, they’re really just after the sheep! Right now, my Chubby Boyfriend ring is a favorite. He’s basically a chunky signet with my logo at the top and the best name ever. This is the perfect example of the community’s influence—my first ring, the Stand Out ring, was a slice style with my logo standing on top of the band. A lot of the ladies were worried that the style would catch on stitches as they worked with their hands—Chubby Boyfriend takes the same size logo laid down, et voilá! Hot item!

Black Sheep Lambtag in sterling silver with 0.03 ct. black diamond, $395

I love that you just embraced this avenue. What advice would you give to other jewelers who find themselves with an unexpected opportunity? ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... lamb-knit/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)