Roll Call for 2020’s Departing Jewelry Retailers

Trade news

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Well this is surprising, although the list can't possibly be complete since many don't get announced publicly, but despite that it still looks way better than one would expect after a tumultuous year like 2020. You'll notice that California had the most closures by far, and with so many people fleeing the state it's possible we'll see some of them reopening in another state. Here's the list of those who said farewell. ;)

January 8, 2021 by Rob Bates

"As I do every year, I would like to start 2021 by paying tribute to all the jewelers who closed their physical stores over the last year.

Some worried that a unprecedented number of jewelry stores would close in 2020, given the COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting strain on the economy. Yet, like the Jewelers Board of Trade, I didn’t find as many closures this year as I had in the past, and I am not sure why.

Perhaps some retailers decided it just wasn’t a great time to shut their doors. Maybe it was a little easier to make deals with landlords. And, most of the information here is gathered from local news sources; a store closing isn’t always a big story these days, especially with so many other businesses going under. It’s also a little tougher to determine who is closed, given so many stores have limited hours, and people, including reporters, are staying home.

The roll call below covers brick-and-mortar jewelry stores that either shut their doors or announced they were shutting their doors in 2020. It is not exhaustive.

Just like every business is different, every business closing is different. In several cases below, the business might be shutting its brick-and-mortar store but will continue to operate online. In other cases, the store may reopen. The “source” link generally contains additional context, and I tried to add that context when it was available. If there’s anything else that you believe is relevant to a store’s placement on this list, feel free to either leave a comment on this post or email me so I can update it.

In the past, there were a few instances where the jeweler changed its mind, or the store ended up reopening. If that’s the case with any of the entries below, let me know, as well as of any closings we may have missed.

It is always bittersweet to see longtime businesses close. Some retailers on this list have over a century of history behind them. At least one was the oldest retailer in its city.

Most of their owners worked long and hard to build a good, honest business. Some made a deliberate decision to retire, while others simply couldn’t hang on. Whatever their reasons for closing, this is my effort to make sure they are not forgotten.

So, here’s to you… ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... -jewelers/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)