Black Friday Online Shoppers Pass 100M Mark

Trade news

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Postby PinkDiamond » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:35 pm

I finished my Christmas shopping over Black Friday, the weekend, and Cyber Monday, even placing a food order on cyber Monday to get 20% off on it even though it won't be picked up until today. I hope y'all scored big over the weekend too. A penny saved is a penny you can put toward something else, or donate to your favorite charity. ;)

By Lenore Fedow
lenore.fedow@nationaljeweler.com
December 2, 2020

An estimated 186.4 million consumers shopped between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday, according to an annual survey by the National Retail Federation and Prosper Insights & Analytics.

"Washington, D.C.—Shoppers flocked to online sales over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, as the COVID-19 pandemic unsurprisingly continues to keep consumers away from physical stores.

An estimated 186.4 million shoppers scooped up holiday deals from Thanksgiving to Cyber Monday, according to a survey by the National Retail Federation and Prosper Insights & Analytics.

That’s slightly below the 189.6 million shoppers who made purchases during the same period last year, but well above the 165.8 million shoppers in 2018.

The number of in-store shoppers on Thanksgiving plummeted 55 percent year-over-year, which the NRF attributed both to pandemic and the growing number of retailers opting to close on that day.

The number of in-store Black Friday shoppers fell 37 percent, but it was a strong day for online sales.

For the first time, the number of online Black Friday shoppers passed the 100 million mark, up 8 percent year-over-year.

Online sales also did well on Saturday, rising 17 percent year-over-year.

Some expected interest in Black Friday sales to wane in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, but NRF CEO Matthew Shay had a different perspective.

“I would never say Black Friday is no longer relevant. It’s always going to play a role in the psychology of the traditional kickoff to the holiday season,” said Shay during a results call Tuesday.

“Black Friday is a consumer day that, once upon a time, was of consequence and remains of consequence because it’s a big day for economic activity, but it’s evolved over the last decade into a social day,” he said, adding that this year, shoppers can’t socialize in the normal way.

Shay predicted a year from now, presuming a vaccine has been “widely and safely distributed,” Black Friday could once again be the biggest shopping day of the season.

A total of 95.7 million people were online-only shoppers for the entire weekend, up ... "

https://www.nationaljeweler.com/indepen ... -100m-mark
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)

SwordfishMining

Re: Black Friday Online Shoppers Pass 100M Mark

Postby SwordfishMining » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:37 am

"below the 189.6 million shoppers who made purchases during the same period last year" tells me how big a cut the CCPV made. That might have been a bit of the half off brick and mortar we experienced this year in total dollars spent. Lots of skinny stoves this Christmas.

Return to “Latest News”